Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

11 yr old anti oz(well now and again!)

11 yr old anti oz(well now and again!)

Old May 3rd 2008, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

swallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to all
Default 11 yr old anti oz(well now and again!)

we have an 11 year old son, who one minute is fine about moving then next minute is dead againts it!argghh.we were hoping there may be other 11 yr olds already moved he could talk to and ask kid questions about life in aus. schools,activities like swimming,fishing and golf.he also loves his playstation.we are hoping there will be someone willing to just have a chat on the computer with him,maybe tell him what its like over there and what to expect.we did holiday in brisbane two and a half years ago so he has a little knowledge of aus.this is where we're hoping to live in one of the suburbs on the outskirts.any feedback will be greatly used.
thank you
us five(11yr old is eddie)
Old May 3rd 2008, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all
Default Re: 11 yr old anti oz(well now and again!)

Originally Posted by swallowbride
we have an 11 year old son, who one minute is fine about moving then next minute is dead againts it!argghh.we were hoping there may be other 11 yr olds already moved he could talk to and ask kid questions about life in aus. schools,activities like swimming,fishing and golf.he also loves his playstation.we are hoping there will be someone willing to just have a chat on the computer with him,maybe tell him what its like over there and what to expect.we did holiday in brisbane two and a half years ago so he has a little knowledge of aus.this is where we're hoping to live in one of the suburbs on the outskirts.any feedback will be greatly used.
thank you
Hi, we leave for the GC in 5 wks time & I have an 11 yr son who if you add in Football he sounds the same! If you want just pm me & I will give you his bebo address for your son to contact him.
Michelle
Old May 3rd 2008, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

swallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DestinationSydney
Hi, we leave for the GC in 5 wks time & I have an 11 yr son who if you add in Football he sounds the same! If you want just pm me & I will give you his bebo address for your son to contact him.
Michelle
thanks michelle.not sure how to pm someone as wife at work and i not good on pc's!lol. help!
Old May 3rd 2008, 3:25 pm

Bonzer Sheila is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you
Have you been to Oz before or have family or friends out there? Where are you relocating too?

We are going back (hopefully!?) in September and both my boys are now 'anti'. We have been back too long (4 years, almost) and both of them are very settled and happy here. I have been drip feeding them both with all the good things about OZ...but I know it's tough. I think I am making some progress with the 11 year old. He announced the other day he wanted to do tennis lessons again...I said okay and picked up the local paper but he said 'no..I mean over there.' I have tried to involve him in the preparations for the move; I tasked the youngest to do research online for new cars- was it cheaper to import duty free or to buy from the dealer when we got there, that sort of thing.

I can't tell you how much there is to do for youngsters out there...it's fantastic. When we first arrived we made a point of doing some fun things amongst all the hullabaloo of organizing accommodation, cars, health care and schools! We did 2 days of 'stuff' as the boys called it and then took a day off and did something fun. I know this doesn't help you now...but perhaps if we come up with some successes on convincing our youngsters we could share them!?

Very best of luck!
Old May 3rd 2008, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all

thanks michelle.not sure how to pm someone as wife at work and i not good on pc's!lol. help!
Just click on my user name then it comes up send a private message to me!
Old May 3rd 2008, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

weez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really nice

Hi i Have a Mario, ratchet and clank mad 11 year old who goes from being excited to hysterical crying and hating us in 0-5 seconds flat
we have been to oz but it hasn't help because he now says it's too nice for him to live there , he doesn't think he can live in paradise!! ( his words!!)

feel free to pm
Old May 3rd 2008, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bonzer Sheila
Have you been to Oz before or have family or friends out there? Where are you relocating too?

We are going back (hopefully!?) in September and both my boys are now 'anti'. We have been back too long (4 years, almost) and both of them are very settled and happy here. I have been drip feeding them both with all the good things about OZ...but I know it's tough. I think I am making some progress with the 11 year old. He announced the other day he wanted to do tennis lessons again...I said okay and picked up the local paper but he said 'no..I mean over there.' I have tried to involve him in the preparations for the move; I tasked the youngest to do research online for new cars- was it cheaper to import duty free or to buy from the dealer when we got there, that sort of thing.

I can't tell you how much there is to do for youngsters out there...it's fantastic. When we first arrived we made a point of doing some fun things amongst all the hullabaloo of organizing accommodation, cars, health care and schools! We did 2 days of 'stuff' as the boys called it and then took a day off and did something fun. I know this doesn't help you now...but perhaps if we come up with some successes on convincing our youngsters we could share them!?

Very best of luck!
thanks for the reply bonzer sheila.you hope your doing right thing for them better life ect but it must be hard for them to comprehend.especially as mine knows its not a five minute ride to see nan!lets hope aus casts its spell over him when we get there.it did for me and wife when we all visited brisbane 2 1/2 years ago!
all the best five of us
Old May 3rd 2008, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by weez75
Hi i Have a Mario, ratchet and clank mad 11 year old who goes from being excited to hysterical crying and hating us in 0-5 seconds flat
we have been to oz but it hasn't help because he now says it's too nice for him to live there , he doesn't think he can live in paradise!! ( his words!!)

feel free to pm
cheers weez75 sounds just like my son.we also have an 8 yr old son as well.he doesnt seem too bothered sort of a, we're going anyway if i like it or not! attitude.as long as we find him a football team to play for and train he should be ok.perhaps we need a junior forum on be for the kids to talk to each other back in uk and aus.might help ease any worrys knowing they not doing it on their own! us five
Old May 3rd 2008, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

weez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really nice

cheers weez75 sounds just like my son.we also have an 8 yr old son as well.he doesnt seem too bothered sort of a, we're going anyway if i like it or not! attitude.as long as we find him a football team to play for and train he should be ok.perhaps we need a junior forum on be for the kids to talk to each other back in uk and aus.might help ease any worrys knowing they not doing it on their own! us five
wow!!!!!! you sound just like us , we also have an 8 year old who is keen on going as long as he can keep up his taekwondo and football!!!!!! its a shame you don't live closer so we can pair off the 2 happy ones and the 2 hormonal, miserable 'i hate life' ones!!