Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

104 year old to be kicked out??

Wikiposts

104 year old to be kicked out??

Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 104 year old to be kicked out??

Originally Posted by Sunlover
She has no remaining relatives in China, they're all in Oz. She tried to apply for an aged parents visa but was refused.
Yes and rightly so. From what I know about the case, she was living here illegally when she tried to apply for an aged parents visa.
Had she applied during the time her long stay visa was valid, and before she became an illegal immigrant, she might very well have got it. Of course it was refused.

Originally Posted by Sunlover
When immgration officials are that stupid they give people no choice but to become illegal immigrants.
The immigration officials are NOT stupid, they follow the rules to ensure fair play. Don't blame the officials they do a hard job and I feel sorry for the poor official who had to deny this old lady the visa. Immigration Officials are human too and not without compassion. I am sure he would have agonised about it and would have looked at the rules to find a way he could grant a visa. This is the sort of dimwit response a theif might come up with after busting open a vending machine for the cash. "I had no choice officer, as I didn't have my bus fair home"
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:53 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Immigration Officials are human too and not without compassion.

Unlike you...
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:58 am
Don't use It's green card

baconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of light

Sad as the story is, she doesn't look a day over 102 though does she ?
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
Unlike you...
Unable to respond with a sensible reply you reply with a personal comment.

You pathetic cretin.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
There is another side to the story:
http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/medi...a05/v05035.htm

Jeremy
This really pisses me off. Why don't the media get there story straight! When you read the letter that the department sent her you realise how helpful they were being.

I think they were going beyond their duties by explaining the different routes available to her. The almost suggested that allowing allowing the application to fail in and, therefore, the minister to make the decision would be the best option. They did obviousley have to state the risks.

Australian media is crap. They sensationalise everything and even drop in their own opinions! Media coverage should be objective and not specifically designed to whip up froth.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:14 pm
NO 8 THE LEGEND

Lerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla1
You pillock...
Yeah, fair comment, she should have sorted this out years ago and she would not be in this mess, altho at 104 years old, how aware she is of it all is anyone's guess.

One other point, was the oldest women in the world not Chinese? what is it they are eating or drinking over there that keeps them going?
Old Mar 9th 2005, 2:01 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Unable to respond with a sensible reply you reply with a personal comment.

You pathetic cretin.

Mate, you're not worth the keystrokes.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 3:40 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keel
If I remember the story she couldn't go back to China as she had no living relatives there. So the family campaigned to keep her in Oz saying it was inhuman to send her back as she wouldn't know anybody.

Instead of trying to make her a special case ( yes I know at 104 years she will allways be a special case) why didn't some of the family go back with her. End of problem.

It was that families problem not the governments.

Keel

I heard several reports in the last week saying that she was unable to return to China when her visa expired as no airline would take the risk of transporting someone in her frail condition. Obviously in China the airlines have no such standing.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 3:53 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jayr
Mate, you're not worth the keystrokes.

I thought it was funny.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 3:54 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jwatsonoz
Australian media is crap. They sensationalise everything and even drop in their own opinions! Media coverage should be objective and not specifically designed to whip up froth.

Hey, and it's only taken you two years to work that one out?! (joke).

for the two weeks leading up to the F1 event last weekend all we got in the news here in Vic was "Won't it be great to see our F1 Aussie hero Mark Webber take it to the likes of Schumaccer & co" or so I seem to recall that baldy slap head bloke with the naselly voice from the Ch 7 breakfast show saying last friday.

Webber had won it already in the eyes of the media before the race had started. The same happened with hewit before the tennis final this year and also the unbearable hype surrounding that pitmann woman at the olympics last year.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jwatsonoz
This really pisses me off. Why don't the media get there story straight! When you read the letter that the department sent her you realise how helpful they were being.

I think they were going beyond their duties by explaining the different routes available to her. The almost suggested that allowing allowing the application to fail in and, therefore, the minister to make the decision would be the best option. They did obviousley have to state the risks.

Total agreement, post of the thread...

Although we had a similar thing here in Melbourne recently, albeit at the other end of the scale, With a 17 year old, thai national, that had spent around 10 years of his life here, growing up and going to school in Melbourne.

Consequently he could not read or write thai, His older brother and sister, had became Aussie nationals and were allowed to stay. He had to go back with His uncle I think it was. Despite the fact that locally there was a well publicised campaign by his school and schoolmates.

However he was told, that he almost certainly would be allowed to come back, once he had gone through due process. Which makes one wonder why they did send him back, As a lesson to others maybe, Bit harsh on him, Could be the press slant I Guess.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Total agreement, post of the thread...

Although we had a similar thing here in Melbourne recently, albeit at the other end of the scale, With a 17 year old, thai national, that had spent around 10 years of his life here, growing up and going to school in Melbourne.

Consequently he could not read or write thai, His older brother and sister, had became Aussie nationals and were allowed to stay. He had to go back with His uncle I think it was. Despite the fact that locally there was a well publicised campaign by his school and schoolmates.

However he was told, that he almost certainly would be allowed to come back, once he had gone through due process. Which makes one wonder why they did send him back, As a lesson to others maybe, Bit harsh on him, Could be the press slant I Guess.
Look, I've lived in countries that have been overrun by immigrants due to the bleeding-heart-syndrome. I've watched social services, medical services and government pension schemes collapse under the pressure of immigrants who had never contributed to and never would contribute in tax to the above. It is not a joke, there are reasons for the rules. This woman may not have known how to apply, but she and her family had to have been very well aware of the fact that she was in the country illegally. If she or they had gone to DIMIA prior to her visa lapsing and had gone to enquire as to how to get her into the country legally, they would have been provided with advise via an interpreter if needed. Since she has no family back in China it would have been no problem for her. They did none of the above, but instead hid her from authorities until they seemed to reckon her age made the stay a fait accompli. I also strongly suspect that the only reason they're making this fuss now is because she's costing them money and they want to offload the responsibility for her onto the taxpayer. No-one knew she was here until they raised the issue, so how would anyone have been any the wiser if she'd stayed around illegally until she died of natural causes?

This to me smacks of sneakiness and I cannot see why anyone should be allowed to get away with it 104 yo or not!

Last edited by G'Day; Mar 9th 2005 at 5:32 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 5:38 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G'Day
Look, I've lived in countries that have been overrun by immigrants due to the bleeding-heart-syndrome. I've watched social services, medicals services and government pension schemes collapse under the pressure of immigrants who had never contributed to and never would contribute in tax to the above. It is not a joke, there are reasons for the rules. This woman may not have known how to apply, but she and her family had to have been very well aware of the fact that she was in the country illegally. If she or they had goen to DIMIA prior to her visa lapsing and had gone to enquire as to how to get her into the country legally they would have been provided with advise via an interpreter if needed. Since she has no family back in China it would have been no problem for her. They did none of the above, but instead hid her from authorities until they seemed to reckon her age made the stay a fait accompli. I also strongly suspect that the only reason they're making this fuss now is because she's costing them money and they want to offload the responsibility for her onto the taxpayer. No-one knew she was here until they raised the issue, so how would anyone have been any the wiser if she'd stayed around illegally until she died of natural causes?

This to me smacks of sneakiness and I cannot see why anyone should be allowed to get away with it 104 yo or not!
I work in human services too and I've see the extra pressure migrants, illegal or not put on systems..

However in this case it's nice to see the Australian Government for once show a bit of leniency instead of the usual "thou shall not enter my country at any cost" syndrome.

For once I applaud little Johny Howard, only the once thou....

Australia doesn't have a particular good record on illegal imigration or asylum seekers. Does anyone recall the Tampa crisis back in 2001?
Old Mar 9th 2005, 5:40 pm
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by G'Day
Look, I've lived in countries that have been overrun by immigrants due to the bleeding-heart-syndrome. I've watched social services, medical services and government pension schemes collapse under the pressure of immigrants who had never contributed to and never would contribute in tax to the above.

Did you mean immigrants or illegal immigrants? Furthermore I'm intrigued (seriously)which countries you are refering to given you say social services, pension schemes etc. collapsed. Are you refereing to places like Iran and Pakistan etc. which cope with some of the highest immigration rates?
Old Mar 9th 2005, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by keel
If I remember the story she couldn't go back to China as she had no living relatives there. So the family campaigned to keep her in Oz saying it was inhuman to send her back as she wouldn't know anybody.

Instead of trying to make her a special case ( yes I know at 104 years she will allways be a special case) why didn't some of the family go back with her. End of problem.

It was that families problem not the governments.

Keel
"End of problem" for whom exactly ? The poor family members who were legally living in Australia and had to go back to living in China ?? I suspect that would have been the beginning of their problems !

-She came to Australia to visit her family as she had no family left in China.
-Tried to go back but was prevented to by the airlines as she was too old.
-Family tried to apply for an aged relative visa
-Visa refused
-Women became an "illegal" immigrant

Please explain why any of this was her or her family's fault ?

Australia's immigration laws with regard to parents are ridiculous and counter-productive:

In Canada people are encouraged to sponsor their parents and reunite their families, the view being that strong families produce happier, more productive skilled immigrants who are more likely to stay in Canada and contribute to her economy.

Australia takes the short-sighted selfish approach - if you're not of working age we don't want you.

Guess who has the stronger economy and the greater retention of skilled immigrants ? Not Australia......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.