Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1000 migrants a week still 'flooding into Perth?'

1000 migrants a week still 'flooding into Perth?'

Old Aug 12th 2015, 9:43 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1000 migrants a week still 'flooding into Perth?'

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
We're moving to the UK. No idea about the percentage, haven't had my morning coffee yet
Coffee is overrated anyway. Never liked caffeine as the short term effect is ok but the day-long aftermath will tire you out.

I especially have no clue why people go out and pay $6 for a cup of some grounded bean drink. I mean $6 for something with no alcohol in it? Should cost 99c...
Old Aug 12th 2015, 10:16 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Coffee is overrated anyway. Never liked caffeine as the short term effect is ok but the day-long aftermath will tire you out.

I especially have no clue why people go out and pay $6 for a cup of some grounded bean drink. I mean $6 for something with no alcohol in it? Should cost 99c...
I only have one (large mug) a day, it's my kick-start in the morning. I don't think it affects my day-long energy levels, in fact it's the few occasions when I miss my morning coffee that I feel tired and ratty all day

I don't mind the odd 'store bought' coffee if I'm out and about, or on holiday, but I've never tasted one I like as much as my cup of good old Nescafe Blend 43. I'm a simple soul
Old Aug 12th 2015, 10:35 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Can only comment on the housing market part of your post. We're selling our house in Perth - got 6 quotes about a year ago (were thinking of selling then), and another 8 just recently.

It was pretty unanimous - the value has dropped 40 - 50k in 12 months. Mind you, I do think that the market was very overheated due to the much touted 'resource boom' that is no more!
My ex and I had our house valued about 14 months ago in anticipation of selling/his refinancing to pay me out when we split. In that time the value has dropped by about $70k according to the pricing of similar properties in the area. He'd like to sell so he can move closer to the city with his new partner, but he'd take a huge financial hit so he's stuck where he is.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 10:43 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My ex and I had our house valued about 14 months ago in anticipation of selling/his refinancing to pay me out when we split. In that time the value has dropped by about $70k according to the pricing of similar properties in the area. He'd like to sell so he can move closer to the city with his new partner, but he'd take a huge financial hit so he's stuck where he is.
I'm sorry for myself, and for you if it's impacting on you, but I'm not sorry for your ex
Old Aug 12th 2015, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how fast Perth is growing, but articles over the past 2 years are saying that Melbourne is Australias fastest growing city and Victoria the fastest growing state.

Melbourne is Australia's fastest growing city -
Old Aug 12th 2015, 12:05 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

It's the very reason that we aren't selling ours.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Cosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant future

What percentage drop in previous value does that represent? Trying to get a sense......
Old Aug 12th 2015, 11:12 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cosmo Knott
What percentage drop in previous value does that represent? Trying to get a sense......
About 9%. We had the house valued at $590 last June and one very similar only 2 streets away is now on the market for $510-525. If you look on the REIWA site by suburb your're interested in it shows what the house prices have done in the past year. Butler (where the old man is) shows an 8% decrease which is pretty much what he's looking at.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how many nowadays but when we first arrived in Perth 1998 it was a nice place, lots of green spaces between estates and homes had a decent amount of land...yes even in the subs. but fast forward 5 years and it all moved very quickly and the amount of schools/homes etc that were being built really quickly was something to witness but that's a "new" a big country for you, the Australian government maintains it still needs people to expand, were all migrants anyway, personally for Perth though I enjoyed it much more as it was even though in some areas some excellent improvements were much needed.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 1:55 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera

Yeah, isn't that bonkers. I work with some people who waste company time going out for $6 coffees, twice a day. Cost to employee: around $2700 per year. Cost to employer: probably more than twice that - per employee.

...Bring back the tea ladies!

Meanwhile, for the tight arses among us: You can get a cup of coffee at Coles petrol stations for just 80c
Old Aug 13th 2015, 2:29 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by paulry

Meanwhile, for the tight arses among us: You can get a cup of coffee at Coles petrol stations for just 80c
I've tried one of those petrol station coffees. It tasted like petrol
Old Aug 13th 2015, 2:55 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I've tried one of those petrol station coffees. It tasted like petrol
You know what petrol tastes like?

The ones I've tried seemed as good as any I've had from the coffee shops. Their latte isn't bad.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 3:14 pm
Concierge

You know what petrol tastes like?

The ones I've tried seemed as good as any I've had from the coffee shops. Their latte isn't bad.
You got me there - I don't really know what petrol tastes like

Mine was one of those 'free coffee for driver' deals - it was probably free because they couldn't sell it!
Old Aug 13th 2015, 7:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, isn't that bonkers. I work with some people who waste company time going out for $6 coffees, twice a day. Cost to employee: around $2700 per year. Cost to employer: probably more than twice that - per employee.

...Bring back the tea ladies!

And you can get a spooful of coffee from a jar of Nescafe a lot cheaper still!

When I worked in the city I was staggered by the number of my colleagues who paid for 4 or 5 cardboard cups of coffee a day. At one point the boss even had to stop people nipping out as some were taking the micky and spent more time going up and down 8 floors in the lift than they did at their desks.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst we are on the coffee tangent... there would be at least 8 coffee shops in Coburg plus cafes that sell coffee. It's around 3/4 dollars per large cup here. IMO it's easier to tell really good coffee from bad than say wine or beer, but much much harder to find. The coffee places here are usually packed and it's mostly sit in coffees.

The good coffee places are the independents, not the large franchises.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.