Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1000 migrants a week still 'flooding into Perth?'

1000 migrants a week still 'flooding into Perth?'

Old Aug 13th 2015, 8:57 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1000 migrants a week still 'flooding into Perth?'

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And you can get a spooful of coffee from a jar of Nescafe a lot cheaper still!

When I worked in the city I was staggered by the number of my colleagues who paid for 4 or 5 cardboard cups of coffee a day. At one point the boss even had to stop people nipping out as some were taking the micky and spent more time going up and down 8 floors in the lift than they did at their desks.
That's what I do, but I struggle with blend 43 and even the original blend that we can buy here doesn't taste like the original we got in the UK. I therefore just make do with the cheapest coffee that they're selling on the shelf.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 12:55 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
That's what I do, but I struggle with blend 43 and even the original blend that we can buy here doesn't taste like the original we got in the UK. I therefore just make do with the cheapest coffee that they're selling on the shelf.
While I'm having my morning coffee..... I tried to get blend 43 in a UK Tesco but they didn't sell it, so I bought the original blend. Couldn't drink it. Same as when my sister makes me a fancy-schmancy one from her coffee machine using a Nescafe pod.

I don't think it's any notions of 'quality' for me, I'm just a creature of habit
Old Aug 14th 2015, 3:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I may be skint but I do have some standards!
Old Aug 14th 2015, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile back to subject. Perth is anything but booming with house prices declining and rentals far exceeding a year ago on the market.

While I do not detect big falls in inner city property, indeed the industry around here remain somewhat in denial of changing conditions, rents have declined from their height by about $50 it would appear.

Numbers coming into WA are drastically scaled back. Eighteen months ago there were long lines of renters of every shape, colour and size during home open to rent.
Now they don't appear to bother just advertise outside. In fact a house not too far away took six weeks to rent. It would have been snapped up in boom times.

The downturn still has to hit WA fully then and I'd expect even lesser numbers moving into this state and increasing numbers existing.
We'll probably return to normal rates of around a third of the height of the boom.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 4:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Meanwhile back to subject. Perth is anything but booming with house prices declining and rentals far exceeding a year ago on the market.

While I do not detect big falls in inner city property, indeed the industry around here remain somewhat in denial of changing conditions, rents have declined from their height by about $50 it would appear.

Numbers coming into WA are drastically scaled back. Eighteen months ago there were long lines of renters of every shape, colour and size during home open to rent.
Now they don't appear to bother just advertise outside. In fact a house not too far away took six weeks to rent. It would have been snapped up in boom times.

The downturn still has to hit WA fully then and I'd expect even lesser numbers moving into this state and increasing numbers existing.
We'll probably return to normal rates of around a third of the height of the boom.
When are you leaving Herman?
Old Aug 14th 2015, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
When are you leaving Herman?
I'm pretty reasonably assured long before you write something sensible, Rock Spider.

Last edited by the troubadour; Aug 14th 2015 at 5:13 am.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I wasn't referring to what you said - otherwise I would have quoted you

Plenty of posters on BE - including some that live in WA (bizarre I know but there it is) - hate it here and a thread like this will bring 'em out!
You mean the realists? Love it here but hate in varying degrees to what it has become.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by renth
I had a bit of a search and found this:

Perth is headed for a prolonged slump: Simon Pressley

"The latest figures released by Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) shows a net overseas migration figure of 3,384 for the June 2014 quarter"

So that was last year, and thats 282 migrants a week, probably even fewer this year.

Intrastate migration is negative, people going back home over east.
There's quite a bit of economic data around as well as forecasts with regards to the falling fortunes of Perth.
Perth remains though more expensive than Sydney outside of housing. Things have to change and not before time.
Already seen big drops in North West housing. Hopefully Perth will correct by 30% as some have forecast.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I am seeing a lot of people leave.

I am also active on other forums and the thing I am noticing a lot is that while the immigration sections are getting about the same number of posts, there is now a huge number of them from people from Asia, while the number of British posters has dropped of significantly.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Cosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by the troubadour

While I do not detect big falls in inner city property, indeed the industry
Do you mean house prices will decrease by about a third? In what time frame do you think? Houses in the Western Suburbs are grossly inflated. A falling down 3 x 1 on a 500sqm block and they still want $1.2m+ Absolutely ridiculous
Old Aug 14th 2015, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Cosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant future

Old Aug 14th 2015, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Bigger than expected falls in Perth's median house price in June quarter - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Old Aug 14th 2015, 8:59 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

You call Nescafe 43 standards?
Old Aug 14th 2015, 9:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You call Nescafe 43 standards?
Nescafe 43 isn't "the cheapest coffee that they're selling on the shelf" - my standards aren't THAT low
Old Aug 15th 2015, 12:20 am
Banned

Nescafe 43 isn't "the cheapest coffee that they're selling on the shelf" - my standards aren't THAT low
No point in getting all judgmental over a jar of coffee. For me its a simple choice between drinking cheap crap and less cheap crap. My choice is the cheap crap and the difference goes into the rainy day fund.

...Very often the cheap crap is healthier too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.