Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The 100 points for banks?

The 100 points for banks?

Old Feb 28th 2008, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

andym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the rough
Default The 100 points for banks?

As far as I understand, the banks require 100 points of identity to activate an account in Australia.

Am I right in thinking that a UK passport, UK drivers licence and a UK credit card is adequate to meet the 100 point requirement?

Whats the best way to transfer money from a UK bank to Westpac?

How is the money transferred internationally?

Thanks
Old Feb 28th 2008, 6:51 am
Just Joined

James2513 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The 100 points for banks?

Originally Posted by andym79
As far as I understand, the banks require 100 points of identity to activate an account in Australia.

Am I right in thinking that a UK passport, UK drivers licence and a UK credit card is adequate to meet the 100 point requirement?

Thanks
Identity proof should be enough for hundred points for opening an account.
The best way to transfer money internationally is Telegraphic Transfer (TT) also knows as wire transfer.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

keenymeeny has a spectacular aura aboutkeenymeeny has a spectacular aura aboutkeenymeeny has a spectacular aura about

Use a currency dealer!!!!!! The banks will not give you a good deal.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
The full 100 point check is only applied after you've been in Australia for 6 weeks.

Within 6 weeks of arriving, your valid passport and residential visa are all you need.

Cheers

Steve
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keenymeeny
Use a currency dealer!!!!!! The banks will not give you a good deal.
Unless you use First Direct and then more often than not you get a better deal than the currency people.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
http://www.tranzfers.com/

GBP7 each transfer.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:54 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
http://www.tranzfers.com/

GBP7 each transfer.
Or the parent company www.ozforex.com.au who dont charge the GBP7 but its for larger amounts than you can do with tranzfers and you get a slightly better rate.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

keenymeeny has a spectacular aura aboutkeenymeeny has a spectacular aura aboutkeenymeeny has a spectacular aura about

Try all the dealers, HIFX, Currencies Direct etc. When you get the best rate ring another back and tell them what they have to beat to get your business. That will give you a bit more. From experience HIFX will usually beat the rest, even if only buy a small %, but it makes a difference on several thousand. There are no charges,
Old Mar 6th 2008, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks
THe 100 point check is a standard Aussie identification check. For the first 6 weeks after your arrival your passport will count as 100 points, after that it will only count as 70 points. A UK Credit card is worth nothing and I'm not sure a UK drivers licence will be worth a lot since it won't have an Aussie address on it.

When you get here use your passport to get you initial bank card then apply for Medicare and get your card, you will then have enough to cover the 100 points for anything else (UK passport 70 points and bank/medicare cards 25 points each)

Going forward other items for ID are Australian divers licence, and Aussie Credit cards and utility bills.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spottydog
THe 100 point check is a standard Aussie identification check. For the first 6 weeks after your arrival your passport will count as 100 points, after that it will only count as 70 points. A UK Credit card is worth nothing and I'm not sure a UK drivers licence will be worth a lot since it won't have an Aussie address on it.

When you get here use your passport to get you initial bank card then apply for Medicare and get your card, you will then have enough to cover the 100 points for anything else (UK passport 70 points and bank/medicare cards 25 points each)

Going forward other items for ID are Australian divers licence, and Aussie Credit cards and utility bills.
Divers licence?
Old Mar 6th 2008, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Divers licence?
We did our points with a Westpac branch in Brizzie the day after we landed. We presented UK drivers licences (with an r), UK credit cards and passports. I had an old green shield stamps book that was almost full, but it wasn't accepted.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 10:13 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

We did our points with a Westpac branch in Brizzie the day after we landed. We presented UK drivers licences (with an r), UK credit cards and passports. I had an old green shield stamps book that was almost full, but it wasn't accepted.
lmfao!!! Green Shield Stamps!!! Christ, I'd forgotten all about those!!! Ah, memories! You'll be selling Spangles next
Old Mar 6th 2008, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paddyo
lmfao!!! Green Shield Stamps!!! Christ, I'd forgotten all about those!!! Ah, memories! You'll be selling Spangles next
What those shiny tight trousers?
Old Mar 7th 2008, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

The UK drivers licence etc. were irrelevant for the check as your passport gave you 100 points since you had only landed the day before (and as with the visa applications anything over the points needed doesn't make any difference). I imagine Westpac just wanted a secondary piece of evidence to confirm the passport wasn't a forgery (did you apply for the account in the UK or just walk in from the street?).

Oops, I meant Drivers licence

Last edited by spottydog; Mar 7th 2008 at 1:04 am.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

AHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud of

I've never used them but I've heard good things about HIFX for currency transfers. Apparently they're particularly good for things like transferring your pension and lump sums from house sales etc.

Definitely do your research and get good advice before you transfer your money. The difference between transferring on one day to the next could mean thousands gained or lost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.