Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

100 Dixons shops to close in UK

100 Dixons shops to close in UK

Old Apr 29th 2004, 4:44 am
ABCDiamond

Default 100 Dixons shops to close in UK

Dixons Stores Group (DSG) is closing more than 100 High Street stores after poor trading.

28/4/04 Report here

Old Apr 29th 2004, 4:51 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I was initially suprised by this as I thought Dixons/Currys were doing well. However, small town centre stores probably cant compete against big out of town developments. Whatever happend to Rumbelows?
Old Apr 29th 2004, 4:58 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by jayr
I was initially suprised by this as I thought Dixons/Currys were doing well. However, small town centre stores probably cant compete against big out of town developments. Whatever happend to Rumbelows?
The Rumbelows stores were purchased by Escom Computers in early 1990's, but who themselves closed down in 1996.

Old Apr 29th 2004, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jayr
Dixons/Curry's/PCWorld et al are doing well overall they say, it's just that the typical High Street Dixons store is too small to be profitable and so they see the future in larger 'away from High Street' locations.

In truth they are feeling the pinch as more people buy their electrical goods cheaper on the internet and increasingly in supermarkets. Supermarkets have 80% of the 'food spend' in the UK and so they are targetting the fact that they currently only have 5% of the 'non food spend'.

The report I saw quoted Dixons super discounted price on a digital camera - £249.99. Same thing on Amazon and Empire Direct - £190 and £192 respectively. Apparently more and more people (such as me!) go to Dixons et al to see and try out the products 'in the flesh' and then buy them on the internet!

OzTennis
Old May 2nd 2004, 11:15 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Dixons/Comet over priced and no service to go with the price. Now the rip off of extended warranties has been nabbed by trading standards they have to do something.
Old May 2nd 2004, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

I always found Dixons to be way higher in price than other stores. Don't think that I even entered there doors in the last four or five years.

Whisky
Old May 2nd 2004, 2:28 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Assistants totally clueless to anything you ask them, ask a technical question, forget it!!!!!
Old May 2nd 2004, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Not wishing to be too "rosy eyed" here but I've found the guys at Retravision/Good Guys and Harvey Norman to be very good.

At first I was hacked off that you couldn't just browse without a sales guy pouncing, but now I'm quite pleased to have clued up people about. Obviously there's always the bad 'uns but the ratio is the reverse of my experiences in the UK.

Always hated the Dixons/Curries/PC World monoply anyway. Bad prices and bad service!
Old May 2nd 2004, 10:28 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Nibbs
Not wishing to be too "rosy eyed" here but I've found the guys at Retravision/Good Guys and Harvey Norman to be very good.

At first I was hacked off that you couldn't just browse without a sales guy pouncing, but now I'm quite pleased to have clued up people about. Obviously there's always the bad 'uns but the ratio is the reverse of my experiences in the UK.

Always hated the Dixons/Curries/PC World monoply anyway. Bad prices and bad service!
I always find that no matter what prices Retravision/Good Guys or Harvey Norman quote, one of the others will at least equal. Then i buy from the shop closest, handy for for any warranty