Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

10 years on in WA

Wikiposts

10 years on in WA

Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:43 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Cool 10 years on in WA

he he, it's about 9, + 1, for me. (the 9 years were spent living in Perth(Maida Vale and Kalamunda), Bidyadanga(near Broome), Nullagine(near Newman/Marble Bar), and Bridgetown(south west) for the last 4.

1 year exactly for Pascal today, here in Perth.

Having a great time, bla bla bla, nothing's perfect bla bla
Good things:
- Friends (old and new)
- House/area, and that we'll be buying next year
- Country side/nature etc
- good things associated with bigger city: more 'entertainment', more choice in restaurants, more shops.
- bigger choice in supermarkets(it's surprised me that uk supermarkets must be much bigger and better than Dutch ones! I find supermarkets here brilliant, I guess the ones in the uk are even better then! )

Not so perfect(but nothing so bad we hate it, though still whinge or think about it occasionally):
- things associated with big city(compared to quiet town we were used too); more crime, traffic, etc.
- hot in summer, cold in winter, in between is very nice though.
- work; I'm still working as a receptionist/ass. accounts etc, which is getting boring, but within the next month I'll most likely be starting as something like 'assistant to the maintenance manager', working on the new computer system, adding assets to it, and I think just working on long term maintenance plans etc. If it doesn't become anything good, I'll at last have good experience to apply for a proper 'facilities management' job.
- Pascal loves his job, but longer hours(these days usually 8.30 - 6.30, and yesterday to 9 pm!!)
- no family around (parents and brother are coming, see below, but other family is a bit far away, I'm thinking ahead to when we have kids. It'll be a shame, but they'll be right, and at least they'll have one pair of grandparents close by, and one uncle)

Anyway, just made these lists really quickly, so probably forgot heaps of stuff, and some points are a bit simplified.

So, my parents and brother(Maarten) are arriving in 3 weeks, to live here permanently(again, after being away for 9 years).
Dad is a builder, though recently more planner/calculator etc, he's already 54, but should be ok to find a job, especially as he has aussie experience, doing extensions, building whole houses etc.
Mum is a nurse, will have to do a course again to get her registration, and get her (vocational)English back up to speed(she never got her registration here previously, but worked as a carer, and other totally unrelated jobs). She thinks the course will be at Curtin, so they'll be living on the edge of Perth to start with(also for my brother), but would prefer to live in the Hills or southwest later on(Dad was talking about Sawyers Valley, I think that's Mundaring way...)
Maarten has just done his first year of business IT (or something like that)at uni in The Netherlands(and had already finished a 4 year IT course at a college(like Tafe)). He'll be looking at doing something similar at Murdoch from next year, so in the mean time he'll work I guess. He's still living at home, but he's 22, and people here seem to move out earlier as well, so I think he'll soon be living in a share house...

So, that's it. No photo's etc. Maybe one day

Look forward to seeing some of you in Northbridge tonight!!!

Simone

p.s I've asked for a pay rise, am very proud of myself (ok, they were reviewing everyone's pay anyway, but I thought it was a good time to actually ask for more. Have asked a few(new) colleagues what they earn, and looked at the salary survey on www.hays.com.au
Printed that off (showing a receptionist with + 12 months experience, can earn $35.000 in Perth), and also a few ads on Seek that were jobs I could get, and offering 35.000 - 40.000 ). So now asked for about 33.000, and I think I'll get it.... well I should, as colleagues are earning more, in only a bit 'higher' positions. Fingers crossed. I still then won't be earning what I could elsewhere, but it's going in the right direction, and I like working here(most of the time...).
argh, blabbing on again..........
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 10 years on in WA

Congrats again to you both and thank you for being my own personal tourist guide to WA
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:53 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teresa
Congrats again to you both and thank you for being my own personal tourist guide to WA
lol, now worries, I enjoy it.
And anyway, I think you guys are doing a great job of exploring WA on your own now
Had you been to Mundaring Weir yet?
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

yes we went on Sunday, was lovely day too then had drink at Mundaring Weir Hotel, we were too early for lamb spit so will go back again another time then went onto Kalamunda and had lunch in the hotel and explored rest of area, great views of city coming down the hill from there, it was fab thanks
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:03 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Happy anniversary Simone. I hope the next year brings a successful house purchase and the job you want and continued happiness. Keep it up!
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the pay rise and have a fab weekend, catch up soon!
Old Jul 14th 2005, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
he he, it's about 9, + 1, for me. (the 9 years were spent living in Perth(Maida Vale and Kalamunda), Bidyadanga(near Broome), Nullagine(near Newman/Marble Bar), and Bridgetown(south west) for the last 4.

1 year exactly for Pascal today, here in Perth.

Having a great time, bla bla bla, nothing's perfect bla bla
Good things:
- Friends (old and new)
- House/area, and that we'll be buying next year
- Country side/nature etc
- good things associated with bigger city: more 'entertainment', more choice in restaurants, more shops.
- bigger choice in supermarkets(it's surprised me that uk supermarkets must be much bigger and better than Dutch ones! I find supermarkets here brilliant, I guess the ones in the uk are even better then! )

Not so perfect(but nothing so bad we hate it, though still whinge or think about it occasionally):
- things associated with big city(compared to quiet town we were used too); more crime, traffic, etc.
- hot in summer, cold in winter, in between is very nice though.
- work; I'm still working as a receptionist/ass. accounts etc, which is getting boring, but within the next month I'll most likely be starting as something like 'assistant to the maintenance manager', working on the new computer system, adding assets to it, and I think just working on long term maintenance plans etc. If it doesn't become anything good, I'll at last have good experience to apply for a proper 'facilities management' job.
- Pascal loves his job, but longer hours(these days usually 8.30 - 6.30, and yesterday to 9 pm!!)
- no family around (parents and brother are coming, see below, but other family is a bit far away, I'm thinking ahead to when we have kids. It'll be a shame, but they'll be right, and at least they'll have one pair of grandparents close by, and one uncle)

Anyway, just made these lists really quickly, so probably forgot heaps of stuff, and some points are a bit simplified.

So, my parents and brother(Maarten) are arriving in 3 weeks, to live here permanently(again, after being away for 9 years).
Dad is a builder, though recently more planner/calculator etc, he's already 54, but should be ok to find a job, especially as he has aussie experience, doing extensions, building whole houses etc.
Mum is a nurse, will have to do a course again to get her registration, and get her (vocational)English back up to speed(she never got her registration here previously, but worked as a carer, and other totally unrelated jobs). She thinks the course will be at Curtin, so they'll be living on the edge of Perth to start with(also for my brother), but would prefer to live in the Hills or southwest later on(Dad was talking about Sawyers Valley, I think that's Mundaring way...)
Maarten has just done his first year of business IT (or something like that)at uni in The Netherlands(and had already finished a 4 year IT course at a college(like Tafe)). He'll be looking at doing something similar at Murdoch from next year, so in the mean time he'll work I guess. He's still living at home, but he's 22, and people here seem to move out earlier as well, so I think he'll soon be living in a share house...

So, that's it. No photo's etc. Maybe one day

Look forward to seeing some of you in Northbridge tonight!!!

Simone

p.s I've asked for a pay rise, am very proud of myself (ok, they were reviewing everyone's pay anyway, but I thought it was a good time to actually ask for more. Have asked a few(new) colleagues what they earn, and looked at the salary survey on www.hays.com.au
Printed that off (showing a receptionist with + 12 months experience, can earn $35.000 in Perth), and also a few ads on Seek that were jobs I could get, and offering 35.000 - 40.000 ). So now asked for about 33.000, and I think I'll get it.... well I should, as colleagues are earning more, in only a bit 'higher' positions. Fingers crossed. I still then won't be earning what I could elsewhere, but it's going in the right direction, and I like working here(most of the time...).
argh, blabbing on again..........

Great update hun and congrats to pascal for his first year.

We will have a drink tomorrow to celebrate and for Teresa landing a job in her fav place lol.

xxxxx

PS also have to have a drink for Warren as its his birthay on Sunday

xxxxxxxxxxx
Old Jul 15th 2005, 12:21 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

congrats on pascals 1st year.
u dont half rabble lassie
great post really, but i cant be that nice lol
Old Jul 15th 2005, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

Yayyy Simone! I was expecting this post! already a year, amazing!!!

Fingers crossed for that pay rise... u did the right thing to ask!!!

oxoxo

fabie
Old Jul 15th 2005, 1:13 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Crikey [said like Steve Urwin ]

Well done Simone. And Pascal. One year already!

Time flys when you're having fun

Old Jul 15th 2005, 1:43 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

A Dutch trader once promised to send me some black tulip bulbs as a thanks for helping him set up a large barter deal with the Ukraine. I never knew there was such a thing but he didn't deliver anyway

You remind me of a black tulip Simone. You stand out.....but you do deliver.

Glad you and Pascal have enjoyed your first year. May it continue
Old Jul 15th 2005, 3:31 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Thanks guys

Having a great time(though I would nearly everywhere), I think I sound more 'negative' on here than I actually am and feel in 'real' life

Bix, yes, black tulips exist, can't remember ever seeing any though...
Not sure what you mean about standing out etc.... Bordy can now also tell you I don't really in 'real' life, and I'm glad of it!
Ahh, was great meating them yesterday, and other 'newbies', and I even spoke to Hevs on the phone!(for 1 second, and couldn't hear her over the noise, but anyway... )

Good luck to all of you with your plans for the future
Old Jul 15th 2005, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

Hi Simone,

Liked reading your post, and you must be so happy about your family coming to Perth too - I wish mine could!

Good luck with the pay rise request!

Catherine
Old Jul 15th 2005, 11:41 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Simone] Bix, yes, black tulips exist, can't remember ever seeing any though...Not sure what you mean about standing out etc....QUOTE]

I was not being cheeky Simone

I meant you are a rose in Hawthorn
Old Jul 16th 2005, 1:50 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
I even spoke to Hevs on the phone!(for 1 second, and couldn't hear her over the noise, but anyway... )
Talk about roudy

Nice to SHOUT at you

Good luck for the coming year to you both. Hxx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.