10 pence worth

Old Jun 3rd 2003, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

stooly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 10 pence worth

I was just wandering how many people get advice from family members or friends that you know you can do without? My brother in-law is at university and 21 years old. He's been on holiday to Greece and a 1 week last minute deal to the Gambia and now he feels he's worldly.

He has put a stupid idea into my husband head and now we are arguing about it. We have have applied for a PR visa and I want to ship all our stuff with us so I can be here when it is all packed. He has told my husband "why don't you go put your stuff in storage and if you like it ship your stuff over later". I'm so angry that my husband is listen to is brother who has little or no experience about life and what we doing. I know he is trying to be helpful but my husband is trying to cope with the guilt is mother is laying on him, that she does'nt like flying so she won't be visiting us in NZ.

Christ I am pissed off to the point that at the moment I don't feel like going because it funny how people don't have much to do or say to you, except when you decide to do something that is different and they feel that your leaving them behind. This new start is for our family. My husband, 2 children and I.

Sorry, for ranting but at the moment this is the only way to get out my frustration as I hope some of you understand were I am coming from.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

No the feeling exactly. Not going into huge detail but a innocent comment has put a spanners in the works. And i am now right back at the beginning.

With other people`s so called go for it attitude well it stinks. There small minded attitutes are driving me mad at the moment but i am stuck can`t say anything as we may end up staying.

Completely understand your anger

footie chick
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 12:16 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 10 pence worth

Originally posted by stooly
I was just wandering how many people get advice from family members or friends that you know you can do without? My brother in-law is at university and 21 years old. He's been on holiday to Greece and a 1 week last minute deal to the Gambia and now he feels he's worldly.

He has put a stupid idea into my husband head and now we are arguing about it. We have have applied for a PR visa and I want to ship all our stuff with us so I can be here when it is all packed. He has told my husband "why don't you go put your stuff in storage and if you like it ship your stuff over later". I'm so angry that my husband is listen to is brother who has little or no experience about life and what we doing. I know he is trying to be helpful but my husband is trying to cope with the guilt is mother is laying on him, that she does'nt like flying so she won't be visiting us in NZ.

Christ I am pissed off to the point that at the moment I don't feel like going because it funny how people don't have much to do or say to you, except when you decide to do something that is different and they feel that your leaving them behind. This new start is for our family. My husband, 2 children and I.

Sorry, for ranting but at the moment this is the only way to get out my frustration as I hope some of you understand were I am coming from.
Yes, I'm getting the same from my family

my brother in law keeps saying to us "why are you flying straight to Oz, why not stop in a couple of countries along the way and have a big holiday?"

I know a lot of people are doing just that. However it is not an option for us becuase we are flying our dog over and do not want to go on holiday whilst he is in a strange place (he never normally goes into kennels).

Also, we have waited so long for the visa's which will hopefully come soon that we just want to get there. Added to that is the extra expence involved.

However my bro-in-law thinks he knows best and keeps repeating his suggestion at every opportunity, no matter how often we tell him that we do not want to do this. Grrrr!!!

I know it's just a small thing but it is so annoying. Anyone would think that we haven;t been planning this for years!

Phew, I feel better now

Mel
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just a thought!

At least when you do get over there you won`t have to listen to him anymore. Why not just tell thats what your doing anyway, he doesn`t have to know every detail.

Sorry can`t come up with anything useful.

footie chick
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

stooly is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reponses I thought I was been insenitive. We've been planning this now for two years and I don't think they know how much stress and pressure we are under to do this right alll the way though so our kids and us can enjoy this adventure we are on.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

People can be insensitive at times try and rise above it.

footie chick
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

pabloako is an unknown quantity at this point

I get 'You'll be back' from various family members. Stuff em I say.
If you want to fly direct, fly direct. If you want to take six months getting there then do that.
If you want to burn all of your things and dance around the flames with no clothes on then do it. If you want to ship everything, including the fish pond, do that.
At the end of the day they will be missing out when you don't tell them your new address!

Old Jun 3rd 2003, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't listen to any of them.

If you are emigrating that means that you have been thinking about it for years. It means that you have weighed up all the pros and cons many times over. The result of all that is that you now have a decision and probably a very good one because you've put so much effort into it.

Many friends and relatives just give an occasional thought to your move. Why should you listen to them when they haven't put in the groundwork that you have ?

They should be happy for you. If they are not then they are just being selfish.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

My fiancee is Australian i met her in Australia on a working holiday. She has been over hear for nearly 4 years and we have always said we are going to go back to Australia.

So why does my bloody mother keep interfering and making it such a nightmare. I wont even let my fiancee answer the phone now as it might be my mother, who will wind her up etc why cant she just be happy for us ???

There, i fell all better now

Old Jun 3rd 2003, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mothers can be problematic mine sure is!!

footie chick
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 1:15 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by footie chick
Mothers can be problematic mine sure is!!

footie chick

When I first told my Mum we were planning on going she said she had no intention of coming to visit, as she had just visited my brother in Thailand (he was there for one year) and decidied never to travel long haul again.

Last week she told us that we better have a spare room for when she comes to stay!

Let's just hope I get this visa now

Mel
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mine is under the impression that she will never see me again!!

Yes and if you mention email to her well she can`t possibly use that even though she has a computer. Problem is she is a bit of a drama queen and always does it when the kids are about or one of her friends.

footie chick
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 1:24 pm
Hussy

Originally posted by footie chick
Mine is under the impression that she will never see me again!!

Yes and if you mention email to her well she can`t possibly use that even though she has a computer. Problem is she is a bit of a drama queen and always does it when the kids are about or one of her friends.

footie chick
My mum is as bad. When I first left home (at 18) she told me that I was impossible to get hold of as I was always in the pub. What if there was an emergency? How could she contact me?

So I got a mobile and a pager. She refused to even take the numbers from me becuase they were far too expensive to call!

She is, however, a computing lecturer so is quite happy at the though of e-mailing me in Oz.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Even funnier my dad said i couldn`t move to Oz because who would sort out his properties adn correspondence. Cheeky git lives in Spain.Selfish all the way.

footie chick
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

We are going through very similar circumstances with our family saying:

But youve never been to NZ!
You couldnt of picked anywhere further away if you had tried.
Where do you expect me to find the moeny for the flights.
The kids will be in high school when I see them next.
When will you be coming back to see US.
You will not cope without friends and family
We want to be part of your childrens up bringing

We actually moved away from home in Wales to Bedford 4 years ago, which I know is not as far as NZ, but after a first difficult year, we now have our independance, we are a very close family unit, we enjoy our time toghether and free weekends and would do it all again.
Having just been told I will be losing my job, this is our time to move on again and try something new for my family.

Just remember: FAMILY AND FRIENDS ARE IMPORTANT, BUT THEY ALWAYS MANAGE TO STIR THINGS UP, EITHER KNOWINGLY OR UNINTENTIONALY. WEDDINGS, BIRTHDAYS, BABIES NAMES AND CHRISTENINGS . . . . .

pf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.