Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is 10 grand enough?????

Wikiposts

Is 10 grand enough?????

Old Jul 23rd 2006, 6:13 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is 10 grand enough?????

Originally Posted by buck-egit
Well guys This has been a popular Thread!!!!!!

I thank you all for your input and the negitives are just as welcome as the positives that was what I started it for in the first place.

with each reply I have gotten more different ideas.

I am 99% sure of having a job fitting kitchens when I get there the guy who owns the company is from Belfast he is coming home in Sept so I have to go see him for a chat. As for my wife she is MORE cumfy in the thought that the house is here if it all goes tits up. But I do aggree that me personally would rather sell all up and give it a good go " to easy to just say sod it im off home " but Im not single and have to think of my wife and the kids( i recon the kids would have a far far better life out there but the OH isnt as free a spirit or as nuts as I am " somtimes just as well " ) have thought of going it alone for a few months but dont know if i could manage without them I have never been away from them for more than 2 days before???

so to recap i would have the £4000 on arrival i will be able to get a job almost straight away ( although someone said about tickets what are they ???)
it would depend on weather i went alone or took family with me
I know it is all a big gamble but I am more of a would rather have failed and tryed than never tryed and wondered

Again thanks for the replys keep them coming as a few other poeople have made there interests in this one known

also thanks to those that PMed me

Darren ( pulling his hair out)
So if you have a job straight away and with the family allowance you would get from Centerlink for the kids, I dont think it would matter if your wife worked or not.

I reckon you would be fine.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 7:09 am
2007 Emigrants

Mike & Zoe is an unknown quantity at this point

I am so keen to go that I will try anything to get her on side..... if we had been going by selling the house I would have £150 k in my back pocket that would ease things a hell of a lot But i have aggreed with her that if she likes it and we stay for a year or so mybe 2 so as to get PR we sell the house and buy one outright
Have you considered remortgaging the house ?
You might even find that you need to remortgage if you're going to rent the place out while you're away, and that would be the perfect opportunity. That way you could raise good few grand and still get to hold onto the house. That's our plan anyway...
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 8:50 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Surely someone with "6 figure salaries" would have the brain to bring more than £2000 between them to start a new life. Don't tell me they spent every cent of their "6 figure salaries" and couldn't manage to save up a bit more for contingency. The least they could've done was to work a couple more months to bring a little extra with them. The facts just don't add up.

Mrs JTL
When you have a time constraint due to visa requirements you do what you have to do. They decided to pay off there mortgage.
Sounds more like you dont like the sound of others having it tougher and still getting on with it.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 9:58 am
Just Joined

buck-egit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mike & Zoe
Have you considered remortgaging the house ?
You might even find that you need to remortgage if you're going to rent the place out while you're away, and that would be the perfect opportunity. That way you could raise good few grand and still get to hold onto the house. That's our plan anyway...
In my ideal world I would be selling the house and moving out to Perth with 150k and be able to buy a house outright and live mortgage and debt free but that still isnt enough insentive for the OH

I feel the divorce rate is about to get higher LOL!!!!!!!

Darren
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 10:23 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Is 10 grand enough?????

hi, a good thread all in all, ive been following it as if/when we land over there we'll have about £15K in our pockets ((not literally obviously)) we (hopefully) will have our initial accomodation sorted and paid for beforehand, (furnished til our ship/container comes in!) then we'll be looking for a 'cheapish' rental or a 'cheapish' property to buy with a 100% / 97% mortage...oh should be starting a job in about 3 weeks of arriving..(not looking for a spanking new car, massive sparkly new house or the high life)...just a quiet and simpler way of life with more quality time with our kids...
Kat xxx
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 10:27 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

im sure with careful planning and budgeting 10k will be plenty.

its all we are likely to have ... and we dont have a house to sell

as an afterthought, have you thought(or rather has your OH) about the expenses of your mortgage if you dont get tennants? a mortgage and rent will be expensive! and will you have to pay someone, ie the estate agent, to sort out prospective tennants and sort out paperwork etc. One thing that i always wonder, when i read peoples intentions to rent out property, and use it as a fall back if it doenst work out in aus - what if you decide to come back before your tenants' lease is up? if you have tenants on 6 months agreements, what if you decide to return 3 months before their lease is up...what will you do for somewhere to live for the 3 months?

just a thought

good luck with whatever you decide ... we will be landing in aus with hopefully about 10k, so perhaps we should start an ''im skint'' forum
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 10:32 am
Just Joined

buck-egit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
im sure with careful planning and budgeting 10k will be plenty.

its all we are likely to have ... and we dont have a house to sell

as an afterthought, have you thought(or rather has your OH) about the expenses of your mortgage if you dont get tennants? a mortgage and rent will be expensive! and will you have to pay someone, ie the estate agent, to sort out prospective tennants and sort out paperwork etc. One thing that i always wonder, when i read peoples intentions to rent out property, and use it as a fall back if it doenst work out in aus - what if you decide to come back before your tenants' lease is up? if you have tenants on 6 months agreements, what if you decide to return 3 months before their lease is up...what will you do for somewhere to live for the 3 months?

just a thought

good luck with whatever you decide ... we will be landing in aus with hopefully about 10k, so perhaps we should start an ''im skint'' forum
I would rent it out on a year contract so as to not make it just so easy to say sod it in off home but on the other hand if something realy bad happened and we just HAD to come home I would just rent here same as i would be over there. We wouldnt have any bother renting out our house.... the estate agent has told me and I would`nt leave till i had renters already in it just to be sure

Darren
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Sounds more like you dont like the sound of others having it tougher and still getting on with it.
A great conclusion.

Mrs JTL
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Someone mentioned child assistance (Family tax A and B), just wanted to add that the OP would get rent assistance too. Maximum payment $118 per fortnight for a couple with 2 children.

Last edited by steandleigh; Jul 23rd 2006 at 12:37 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

mish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of light

We've goin a bit crazy too!!!!!
We had the great intentions of putting all of our house money (about 40k) into a house in Oz when we arrive, but as we plan to get married next year and start a family we thought... bugger it, lets do what we've always fancied doing when we have no ties and no responsibility!!

We're using the extra 6 grand we saved (to get established when we arrived in Perth) to go travelling and we're using a bit of the house money too!
We figure - we're only young (24 & 28), no kids (a lot less trickier) and we want no regrets! So we're blowing the 6 grand and a few grand from the house as well, to see all the places we want across the U.S, Canada & Australasia and enjoying ourselves before we have to get on working again over in Perth!

So we'll be on the tightest budget ever once we arrive but we'll get jobs and sort digs out!!

After having our visa for over 18 months and with the house being on the market for 12 months (should exchange contracts next week) we thought bugger it - let's do everything we want to do and spend a bit of cash!!

This is not the kind of thing i would normally do, i'm really sensible all the time, so i'm still having trouble to accept it, but you only get one shot at life and like the OP said - better to have tried than not to have tried at all!!

Good luck everyone!
Mish x x x

P.S i'll be the one busking for my tea!!
Old Jul 24th 2006, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

noonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to all

This thread is hilarious - We'll be landing with about £2-4k and I'm not even worried about it
Old Jul 24th 2006, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Is 10 grand enough?????

No i am in the middle of geting the TRA stuff together doing it all myself to save some cash.

sorry to hear the bike had to go but awww well I was able to go for a ride today in the sweltering sun LOL Sorry

that smile will soon get wipped of my face when my bikes time comes!!!!

I am hazzarding a guess but the actuall cash that we wil have when standing at Perth aairport will be around £4000

Darren
Tell you what - I will waiver that drink you owe me in Perth for a year and if you get really stuck, just give us a shout - we should hopefully be residing in one of the lovely suburbs of Perth and would be happy to help you out.

Paula
Old Jul 24th 2006, 3:37 am
Just Joined

gingerkitty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by noonard
This thread is hilarious - We'll be landing with about £2-4k and I'm not even worried about it
I take my hat off to you. You sound so laid back as to be almost horizontal. I wish I could be so chilled.

I have to ask though, do you have a job to go to when you get there or do you have a trade, or an occupation that is very much in demand?

I'd have to assume that the above factors would certainly take quite a bit of the worry out of the equation. Guess it would be a different ball game if someone was going out to Oz with no firm job offer, a "not especially in hot demand" line of work (eg. as in my case, welfare worker or paralegal) and under 10K in their pocket.

What do folks think if this was the actual scenario? Would those who have said "no worries" still say the same?

Thanks for your replies.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

noonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to all

Fair point - our situation is different. We'll be staying with my fiance's Dad until we get ourselves sorted with jobs/own place etc, and that will make a hell of a difference.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 3:52 am
Just Joined

gingerkitty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by noonard
Fair point - our situation is different. We'll be staying with my fiance's Dad until we get ourselves sorted with jobs/own place etc, and that will make a hell of a difference.
Thanks for that info. I was beginning to think I was a little paranoid.

My situation is that I will be travelling out to Oz by myself, have no relatives or anybody there to move in with and I will probably have no more than 10K in ready capital. (In fact that will probably have reduced to around 7.5K by the time I am ready to leave.) My occupation choices (as mentioned above) are not hugely in demand, so I can't count on having work within the first couple of weeks of arriving. (Although I'd be willing to take on casual work or whatever just to get my foot on the job ladder.) The plus point is that I don't have any dependents so it's just me I need to budget for.

Would anyone care to chuck in their tuppence worth on my chances in this scenario?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.