Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1 year (and a little bit) on in Sydney

1 year (and a little bit) on in Sydney

Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of
Default 1 year (and a little bit) on in Sydney

Well, having just read the oterh 1 year on posts, thought I'd better wrtie mine!

We arrived on the 1st July last year, and were very fortunate to be met at the airport by an old school friend who put us up and fed us for 2 weeks before we found a place to rent.

Rented for 3 months in a fully furnished place in North Sydney until our furniture arrived (McMahons Point Realty have lots of 3 month f/furnished places to rent if anyone's interested)

Then we moved to Lane Cove, 15 mins from CBD, small place with villagey feel to it. Hubby got a job about 3 weeks after we arrived, which was a complete godsend after 6 months unemployed and then taking a really bad job for 18 months (he works in IT as well!) He now works in North Ryde, which is really convenient for us here in Lane Cove - 10 mins on the bus. That means that he can leave the house at 8.00 and return at 5.00 instead of the 6.30 leave and 7.30 return that we used to have to suffer back in the UK!

I didn't look for work because I was looking after our then 8 month old baby. I was going to look for work back in January, ut had enjoyed the time with my son so much that I couldn't face putting him in childcare for 5 days a week. So I started up my own business designing and retailing wetsuits for babies and young kids (www.bubbaducks.com.au - let me know if I need to take that out!). This means that I can work from home and spend 3 days with my son in the week. He now goes to family day care for 2 days a week so that I can get some work done! It is working out really well in terms of the time with my son.

I was put in touch with a great mothers group here, so met some people that way in no time at all. Still feel a bit isolated socially though as a family - any ideas for meeting new people, ideally families, for regular social activity (other than joining a church) would be appreciated!

Here's the downside! We are broke. We thought that we had brought enough money to last us 6 months, but it only lasted for about 2 months. Don't panic - it is mostly to do with the start up costs for my business, and the fact that we decided not to sell uor house in the UK, but rent it out. However, being broke means that we are not able to even think of buying a property, and without selling the house in the UK, I don't know when we can. Can't sell the house in the UK - my parents rent it from us so it would mean turfing them out.

Let me tell you that it is not much fun living in Sydney without any money in the winter!

That's pretty much it I think. Overall, we are glad we made the move, but still have a few issues to sort out!

Catherine
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:13 am
You'll learn............

Desperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1 year (and a little bit) on in Sydney

Originally Posted by Mummy
Well, having just read the oterh 1 year on posts, thought I'd better wrtie mine!

We arrived on the 1st July last year, and were very fortunate to be met at the airport by an old school friend who put us up and fed us for 2 weeks before we found a place to rent.

Rented for 3 months in a fully furnished place in North Sydney until our furniture arrived (McMahons Point Realty have lots of 3 month f/furnished places to rent if anyone's interested)

Then we moved to Lane Cove, 15 mins from CBD, small place with villagey feel to it. Hubby got a job about 3 weeks after we arrived, which was a complete godsend after 6 months unemployed and then taking a really bad job for 18 months (he works in IT as well!) He now works in North Ryde, which is really convenient for us here in Lane Cove - 10 mins on the bus. That means that he can leave the house at 8.00 and return at 5.00 instead of the 6.30 leave and 7.30 return that we used to have to suffer back in the UK!

I didn't look for work because I was looking after our then 8 month old baby. I was going to look for work back in January, ut had enjoyed the time with my son so much that I couldn't face putting him in childcare for 5 days a week. So I started up my own business designing and retailing wetsuits for babies and young kids (www.bubbaducks.com.au - let me know if I need to take that out!). This means that I can work from home and spend 3 days with my son in the week. He now goes to family day care for 2 days a week so that I can get some work done! It is working out really well in terms of the time with my son.

I was put in touch with a great mothers group here, so met some people that way in no time at all. Still feel a bit isolated socially though as a family - any ideas for meeting new people, ideally families, for regular social activity (other than joining a church) would be appreciated!

Here's the downside! We are broke. We thought that we had brought enough money to last us 6 months, but it only lasted for about 2 months. Don't panic - it is mostly to do with the start up costs for my business, and the fact that we decided not to sell uor house in the UK, but rent it out. However, being broke means that we are not able to even think of buying a property, and without selling the house in the UK, I don't know when we can. Can't sell the house in the UK - my parents rent it from us so it would mean turfing them out.

Let me tell you that it is not much fun living in Sydney without any money in the winter!

That's pretty much it I think. Overall, we are glad we made the move, but still have a few issues to sort out!

Catherine
Really fab products on the website !!

Good luck with it all (will put it on my fav's list)

Best wishes

Jill

Jill
Old Jul 14th 2005, 6:15 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear from you 'Mummy'

Good luck with the business. Would be great if I can find something to do from home when I have kids too!
Old Jul 15th 2005, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

Thanks for the comments on the biz - it is still early days - this summer in Oz will be the real tester. I will have larger wetsuits for kids up to 7 years old very soon, and these are going to be even better with funky sea creatures on them!

Having a photo shoot this weekend for a brochure - it was suprisingly difficult to find people to volunteer their babies as models. Didn't want to go through a model agency because they cost too much and had a bad experience with them before.

Catherine
Old Jul 15th 2005, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

SydneyStace will become famous soon enoughSydneyStace will become famous soon enough

I hope you sort your little probs soon!
We arrived on 1st July last year too!! Hasn't it gone quick!!?

Catherine
Old Jul 15th 2005, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of

Really enjoyed your post Mummy.
Just a thought on your wetsuits....with the hot weather here in the UK we purchased an outside paddling/swimming pool and couldn't find anything like your wetsuits for what we needed.Basically what Im trying to ramble on about is have you thought about adding floaties into the wetsuit so thay learn to swim unaided and keep warm all over.
We ended up buying a Kooshies konfidence jacket with armbands and our 23 month old loves it but spends a lot of time sayinf freezing cold freezing cold!!
Just food for thought?!
Old Jul 15th 2005, 6:12 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the first milestone

Personally i found that once all the "firsts" were over things got easier. Good luck with the business, sounds like a plan
Old Jul 15th 2005, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Thanks for the update - I will be moving to Sydney myself so its very interesting to read other peoples perspectives.

SS
Old Jul 15th 2005, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by farrierswife
Really enjoyed your post Mummy.
Just a thought on your wetsuits....with the hot weather here in the UK we purchased an outside paddling/swimming pool and couldn't find anything like your wetsuits for what we needed.Basically what Im trying to ramble on about is have you thought about adding floaties into the wetsuit so thay learn to swim unaided and keep warm all over.
We ended up buying a Kooshies konfidence jacket with armbands and our 23 month old loves it but spends a lot of time sayinf freezing cold freezing cold!!
Just food for thought?!
Thanks for your feedback. The short answer is yes, we have thought about including floats to the wetsuits - have a design for it but not the money to create them yet! They would be more attractive to boaty types and water skiiers then too. Maybe in another year?
Old Jul 15th 2005, 8:09 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Thank-you for the progress report and congrats on the business. It looks like a solid product to me - I'm sure my wife Catherine will be putting an order in shortly
Old Jul 15th 2005, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

Catherine

Hi Catherine, we are in a very similar situation to you, I have an 18 month old and we hope to settle in Hunters Hill/ Lane Cove/ Drummoyne, my husband also works in I.T. We are not planning on leaving until next summer but might be needing the name of that toddler group.

Your business looks great, hope it continues to go well.

Ginaq
Old Jul 15th 2005, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ginaf
Hi Catherine, we are in a very similar situation to you, I have an 18 month old and we hope to settle in Hunters Hill/ Lane Cove/ Drummoyne, my husband also works in I.T. We are not planning on leaving until next summer but might be needing the name of that toddler group.

Your business looks great, hope it continues to go well.

Ginaq
Meant to sign off Gina not Ginaq!
Old Jul 15th 2005, 11:33 am
Merlot

You should be very proud of yourselves and how you have coped with a baby, thanks for posting. Great thread.

M

Old Jul 15th 2005, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Heathertoes will become famous soon enoughHeathertoes will become famous soon enough

Its really good to hear how people settle into their new life - warts 'n all!! It gives all of us still waiting a little peek into what our future could hold. Thanks

Good luck with the new business - don't do things by halves do you???
Old Jul 15th 2005, 12:51 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Good post Catherine.

Give it time and it'll come together.....Rome wasn't built in a day.

Those outfits are really snazzy.......do you have any with a hole for a tail ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.