Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1 week in Manly....

1 week in Manly....

Old Feb 5th 2004, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

scamp1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1 week in Manly....

Well after a crazy last week getting everything sorted in the UK - I am here. Have moved into a furnished flat in Manly - and have started surfing lessons!!! (seems to be harder than I remeber from my student weekends away in Newquay).

Anyway - I have a few questions - any suggestions on the best way to get out there and meet people? - will look at joining a diving club - but any suggestions will be good.

Also my boyfriend want s to find a soccer team - anyone know of any in the area?
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:54 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: 1 week in Manly....

Originally posted by scamp
Well after a crazy last week getting everything sorted in the UK - I am here. Have moved into a furnished flat in Manly - and have started surfing lessons!!! (seems to be harder than I remeber from my student weekends away in Newquay).

Anyway - I have a few questions - any suggestions on the best way to get out there and meet people? - will look at joining a diving club - but any suggestions will be good.

Also my boyfriend want s to find a soccer team - anyone know of any in the area?
Hi there,
Is that Manly in Sydney, or Manly in Brisbane ?

Old Feb 5th 2004, 9:12 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Hi there,
Is that Manly in Sydney, or Manly in Brisbane ?
If surfing is involved, my bet is its Manly in Sydney. Not much surf last time I was down the Esplanade .
Old Feb 5th 2004, 9:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
If surfing is involved, my bet is its Manly in Sydney. Not much surf last time I was down the Esplanade .
Yeah, I was thinking that too, but I was a bit bored, and couldn't think of any thing else to write

And it at least it keeps the thread popping to the top

PS: have you seen them Kite Surfing at Wellington Point ?

Old Feb 5th 2004, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

How's the beach ?? We are coming to stay in Manly for a couple of weeks in March whilst we are over validating visas and having a look round.

There is another thread going about some expats in Sydney looking to meet up in early March - you could check that out. If its Aussies you want to meet, I'm no help !!
Old Feb 5th 2004, 9:53 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Bloody Northern Beaches Surfer.

I might consider hanging over that Harbour Bridge if you don't mind a Bondi paddle out.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 9:53 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

There's a nice little coffee shop diagonally opposite the new Coles (can't remember the street names but it's a hundred yards along from the Corso). Good coffee and there's always people looking for a chat!

And every fifth coffe is free <g>
Old Feb 5th 2004, 10:37 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I was thinking that too, but I was a bit bored, and couldn't think of any thing else to write

And it at least it keeps the thread popping to the top

PS: have you seen them Kite Surfing at Wellington Point ?
LOL @ you being bored. We could always hijack another thread with real estate talk .

Havent seen the kite surfing at Welli Point, but we were watching them a couple of weeks ago down at Jumpinpin Bar. Scary stuff :scared: . Must got for a drive down your way soon, havent even been down to WP for ages!

(apologies scamp, I really cant help with your question, I just talk alot )
Old Feb 5th 2004, 8:22 pm

http://www.soccernsw.com.au/assocs/

There is a find a club feature on the above site. As you start work and get into sports you will meet people.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 10:06 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
LOL @ you being bored. We could always hijack another thread with real estate talk .

Havent seen the kite surfing at Welli Point, but we were watching them a couple of weeks ago down at Jumpinpin Bar. Scary stuff :scared: . Must got for a drive down your way soon, havent even been down to WP for ages!

(apologies scamp, I really cant help with your question, I just talk alot )
Just got around to this again, ive been a bit busy (reading the WBB thread !!, that took a while ! ) I agree the windsurfing does look scary.

When was the last time you were down this way ? It's changed a bit in the last three years. Maybe I should start a new thread on Victora Point, rather than hijack this one

Old Feb 6th 2004, 1:32 am
Rocket Scientist

Just got around to this again, ive been a bit busy (reading the WBB thread !!, that took a while ! ) I agree the windsurfing does look scary.

When was the last time you were down this way ? It's changed a bit in the last three years. Maybe I should start a new thread on Victora Point, rather than hijack this one
Vic point itself would be yonks, probably more than 5 or 6 years. We go down to Wellington Point on & off, but usually to the shops or something, not so much the beach, Cleveland is more regular, we sometimes go down to the markets & go for dinner at Dicey Rileys etc.

Real estate & suburb threads - Im in
Old Feb 6th 2004, 2:19 am

After few goes the paddling comes back to you. What can you do on a board? Are you learning on a soft board or a hard board? Soft boards are like floating platforms and easy to stand on. A hard board is much harder to stand on but when going is much quicker and more enjoyable.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

scamp1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sjn2003
How's the beach ?? We are coming to stay in Manly for a couple of weeks in March whilst we are over validating visas and having a look round.

There is another thread going about some expats in Sydney looking to meet up in early March - you could check that out. If its Aussies you want to meet, I'm no help !!

sjn2003 - in answer - the beach is fab - there is some good snorkling and swimming at the south part, good waves for surfing - (well thats what I was told - my surfing is poor - and I prefer little waves).

Manly is lovely - and it is so quick to get into the city. Would definitle recomend it for a holiday.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

sjn2003 - in answer - the beach is fab - there is some good snorkling and swimming at the south part, good waves for surfing - (well thats what I was told - my surfing is poor - and I prefer little waves).

Manly is lovely - and it is so quick to get into the city. Would definitle recomend it for a holiday.

Excellent news ! Five weeks tomorrow and can't wait !!

Just to let you know its cold, grey wet and windy here in London village - you're missing nowt
Old Feb 18th 2005, 5:33 am
Jaffacake

Originally Posted by scamp

A little late reply but I can help with a good local football team for your boyfriend. Try the Harbord Diggers. Its mainly poms and they are friendly and sociable. If you want a contact no I may be able to help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.