Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1 week in brisbane

1 week in brisbane

Old Dec 23rd 2007, 9:57 am
Just Joined

kerrylana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1 week in brisbane

We arrived in brisbane 1 week ago and it has been hard. We are staying in the city and hate it, however we have bought a house in pacific pines. Is there any other ex pats there. Which are the best schools. My daughter is going into prep year.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1 week in brisbane

Sorry, can't help you with schools in the Pacific Pines area, just wanted to say welcome to Brisbane. It is hard when you first get here, but things will get better. At first everything is so alien, shops don't look familiar etc and you are well out of your comfort zone. I can remember waking up one morning and thinking 'what have I done!!!!', but it is amazing how quickly you get used to your new surroundings.

Amanda
Old Dec 24th 2007, 4:18 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kerrylana
We arrived in brisbane 1 week ago and it has been hard. We are staying in the city and hate it, however we have bought a house in pacific pines. Is there any other ex pats there. Which are the best schools. My daughter is going into prep year.
If you need a dose of 'English Pub' (or as close to it as you'll get) may I recommend the Elephant And Wheelbarrow in Fortitude Valley?

Not a long-term option obviously But a visit or two might just get you over a hump.

Good luck, Merry Christmas, hope you settle into it soon

Cheers,
Matt
Old Dec 24th 2007, 4:31 am
skye

Its all new to you at the moment, things will get better we have been here 5 months and have buiilt in Ormeau and feel a lot more settled now we are in our own house! Merry Christmas - even if it is bl**** hot!

Old Dec 24th 2007, 8:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez, there's millions of Brits in Pac Pines - you'll be screaming to get away from them Only joking. They may not be around much the next couple of days but there is always a meet going on there and lots of new people who will love to have another newbie join them.

Take care, remember it matters not where you are physically, it's just a short term place. Go have yourself some fun and pretend you're on holiday.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 2:15 pm
Bird

Clair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the rough

Hey Kerrylana,

We're coming to Brisbane to at the end of January and we feel a bit scared I can tell you, we've heard that Pacific Pines is great and also Helensvale. Would appreciate some advice on schooling too, one is 10 and the other is 5. I know they can go to prep but not sure if its the right thing for him as he's already been there and done it if you know what I mean!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated anyway.

May be when we do get out there we could meet up for a drink (or 2) eh!!

Have a good one and hope to hear from you soon
Old Dec 24th 2007, 2:20 pm
Bird

Clair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Jeez, there's millions of Brits in Pac Pines - you'll be screaming to get away from them Only joking. They may not be around much the next couple of days but there is always a meet going on there and lots of new people who will love to have another newbie join them.

Take care, remember it matters not where you are physically, it's just a short term place. Go have yourself some fun and pretend you're on holiday.
Hi there,

I'm new to this site and have just posted a reply to Kerrylana about us coming out to Pacific Pines etc and what she knows about schooling out there! If you've got any advice at all I would be greatful. We have 2 kids, both boys one is 10 and the other is 5. We're coming out at the end of January and hoping to make a go of it too!! extremely nervous I must say but hey if you dont try it eh!!.

What are the house prices like over there? do they have many house to rent in that area? what are the renting prices like too? Sorry about the questions but would like to know what to expect if you know what I mean!!

Thanks and have a good christmas and New Year
Old Dec 24th 2007, 7:51 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

pmsl.. another pom in Pacific Pines.

meet some of the residents

Old Dec 24th 2007, 8:24 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
pmsl.. another pom in Pacific Pines.

meet some of the residents

http://www.trashcouture.co.uk/graphi...e-britain1.jpg
Knew you wouldn't be far away with a mention of PP's!!!
Old Dec 24th 2007, 10:19 pm

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Kerrylana

We are building in pacific pines and would just like to say welcome and merry christmas.
Sorry can't help with schools as we don't have any kids, but there are lots of BE members in pac pines so i'm sure one of them will be able to help.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

cyrused is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there
We live in Upper Coomera and although there are closer schools we have chosen to take our children to Helensvale school as we thought it had a really nice feel.
If i can help you any further please get in touch with me, we have been here two months now and although it takes some getting used to we are beginning to enjoy it, Merry Christmas
Sally
Old Dec 25th 2007, 5:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OK, you guys, some of you need to remember that just cos Pacific Pines isn't the place you chose to live in, doesn't mean that it doesn't suit other people.
Lets have a bit of tolerance please, we are all different after all
Old Dec 25th 2007, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Swooty will become famous soon enough

I went on a Rekkie to Brizzy recently and when I first arrived, I thought OMG what have I done ! ! !

After just a couple of days things started to get better and I agree it is just nothing is familiar. By then end of my 2 weeks I didnt want to come home and wanted to stay.

We are all arriving on Feb 8th and will be living in Narangba, I am convinced now it the best decision I have ever made.

Happy xmas to all of you

Swooty
Old Dec 25th 2007, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

kerrylana is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Clair and Darren.

If you want to look at house prices go on www.realestate.com.au and you can look at houses to rent and buy. It seems that a lot of people are moving here and house prices are going up. It is supply and demand at the minuite. All i can say is try and get organised before you come with somewhere to stay. we thought we would buy north of brisbane but didn't like it. Pacific pines and helensvale are really nice. Be positive, the first week is the hardest. There are 3 schools in pacific pines and they look really nice. Take care.

Kerry
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clair and Darren Kleba
Hi there,

I'm new to this site and have just posted a reply to Kerrylana about us coming out to Pacific Pines etc and what she knows about schooling out there! If you've got any advice at all I would be greatful. We have 2 kids, both boys one is 10 and the other is 5. We're coming out at the end of January and hoping to make a go of it too!! extremely nervous I must say but hey if you dont try it eh!!.

What are the house prices like over there? do they have many house to rent in that area? what are the renting prices like too? Sorry about the questions but would like to know what to expect if you know what I mean!!

Thanks and have a good christmas and New Year
I have absolutely no real idea as I don't live there. I do know that there are no poor schools on the GC. They are all of a pretty high standard. Someone with kids in PP will be along once they've got over their hangovers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.