British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   1 min ur up the next minute your down!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/1-min-ur-up-next-minute-your-down-277020/)

sooz&abby Jan 12th 2005 11:25 am

1 min ur up the next minute your down!!

Hi there,

I am soo stressed right now, so thought some of you could give me some advice...................

We got our meds and police checks requested in december. The medicals have gone off to Oz now and we received our police checks back from Scotland Yard within 2 weeks!! So basically we could be looking at 2-3 months of getting the visa.

One problem: I have also had to get police checks done for Canada and the people i have spoken to on the forum say its taken them up to 10 months to get their police checks back!!!
Urghhh very frustrating that I have no criminal record yet have to delay my application because the Canadians are taking so long.

As it was 9 years ago i lived in canada, ideally it would be brilliant if the case officer could just grant us the visa anyway. You have to supply dates of countries that you have lived in over the past 10years. Trust me to be out of a year!!!

Has this happened to anyone before?
We were just about to put the house on the market thinking we could be gone for the summer but now it could be a year away :-(

Any advice??

Deb Jan 12th 2005 1:13 pm

Re: 1 min ur up the next minute your down!!

Originally Posted by sooz&abby
Hi there,

I am soo stressed right now, so thought some of you could give me some advice...................

We got our meds and police checks requested in december. The medicals have gone off to Oz now and we received our police checks back from Scotland Yard within 2 weeks!! So basically we could be looking at 2-3 months of getting the visa.

One problem: I have also had to get police checks done for Canada and the people i have spoken to on the forum say its taken them up to 10 months to get their police checks back!!!
Urghhh very frustrating that I have no criminal record yet have to delay my application because the Canadians are taking so long.

As it was 9 years ago i lived in canada, ideally it would be brilliant if the case officer could just grant us the visa anyway. You have to supply dates of countries that you have lived in over the past 10years. Trust me to be out of a year!!!

We were just about to put the house on the market thinking we could be gone for the summer but now it could be a year away :-(

Any advice??

Hi there..

I see you are from Newcastle, I assume its upon Tyne??

I am also from Newcastle upon Tyne, and hoping to emigrate soon, we are going for our medicals next week!!

I am unable to offer any advice reguarding your question, sorry, but like you said its bloody frustrating. Its bad enough waiting for the UK clearance never mind waiting for clearance from abroad...

Good luck and hope you get some news soon..

Deb

sooz&abby Jan 12th 2005 2:55 pm

HI

yeah n-u-t. what part of oz are you heading for?

thanks for your response.
good luck with your application!

Beegee Jan 12th 2005 5:51 pm

Hi

You should let your CO know that it is not you that is causing the delay. I had delays in my Police clearance from Australia that caused it to go over the 2 months time limit. I sent my CO a letter letting them know the dates I had sent off for my Police clearance so that they knew the delay was out of my hands.

Good luck and I hope it will not take that long.

Gee

kiddij Jan 12th 2005 6:04 pm

Know exactly how you feel. We are waiting for police clearance from Brunei. Our assuror has paid the bond and everything else is fine. We contacted the outpost in Brunei. They were helpful in that they said they had had the request, were dealing with it and it would take 4/6 weeks. However they couldn't confirm that they would contact us when it was sorted. So we have to wait to hear from Adelaide.

Our sympathies are with you. Let us know when you hear something and we will do the same with you.

All the best.

Hi there,

Any advice??

George Lombard Jan 12th 2005 6:33 pm

Hi there,

Any advice??

Hi Sooz, or is it Abby?,

Canada isn't taking 9 months, our last one came in about 3, but as I recall if you make an enquiry they say 150 days (and I last asked about six months ago). But I'm sure they would be trying to bring this time down, so you should ask them.

And no, you can't normally avoid a police clearance where the country involved has a mechanism described in form 47P.

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimeline.com.au

manxfamily Jan 13th 2005 8:23 pm

scooz&abby

I notice your in pre-press. Great, so am I.

We have received our TRA approval, and hoping to put in the main application next week.

How long did you wait until Police and Medical check requests, I hear its about 3 months, is this right?

Where are you planning to go, and when?

Respect to pre-press

Deb Jan 13th 2005 8:58 pm

HI

yeah n-u-t. what part of oz are you heading for?

thanks for your response.
good luck with your application!

Hi Sooz&abby..

We are hoping to go to Perth WA....

Where abouts in N-u-T are you??

We live in Kingston Park at the moment.. :)

Once again, good luck...

Deb... :)