Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Old Feb 21st 2010, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

PS This morning on Andrew Marr's show they had Mandy on. It was put to him thay VAT has been rumoured to rise to 20%. His reply was that the tories were going to raise it to 23%! (Note that there was no denial about 20%.)

So I think after the election the UK public are going to get some pretty nasty surprises in the form of tax hikes and spending cuts which I think will be deeper and harder than they anticipate. I think that this will be enough to put confidence back into the £ and show that the debt is managable.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 77hil
PS This morning on Andrew Marr's show they had Mandy on. It was put to him thay VAT has been rumoured to rise to 20%. His reply was that the tories were going to raise it to 23%! (Note that there was no denial about 20%.)

So I think after the election the UK public are going to get some pretty nasty surprises in the form of tax hikes and spending cuts which I think will be deeper and harder than they anticipate. I think that this will be enough to put confidence back into the £ and show that the debt is managable.
The thing is that whoever wins needs to increase VAT and Income tax, no-one dare say this before the election but its coming...
Old Feb 21st 2010, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by freebo
The thing is that whoever wins needs to increase VAT and Income tax, no-one dare say this before the election but its coming...
That's it isn't. Annoys me that Politicians think we are all so stupid. We all know that the tax and spending cut pain is coming......not for me though as I'm leaving!
Old Feb 21st 2010, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 77hil
That's it isn't. Annoys me that Politicians think we are all so stupid. We all know that the tax and spending cut pain is coming......not for me though as I'm leaving!
I'm leaving too, I wish (more of) my £'s had left sooner!
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:02 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously though, I actually thought you where joking when you posted the above comment...
He's deadly serious
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paulry
He's deadly serious
We are leaving to
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:20 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlie brown
We are leaving to

Same here
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

He's deadly serious

Same here
No pain no gain close eyes exchange set up
money leave rest dont look back,
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no political allegiance but seriously, Gordon sold 50% of the UK's Gold at the lows (about £300/oz, its now well over £700), also presided over the cheap money policies which created the housing bubble and lead to our leading role in the GFC, then for afters gave a load of the taxpayers money to bail out the banks, so they can now give themselves huge bonuses while the country faces years of hardship.

Then you could look at the New Labour years & say we had an unprecidented boom with nothing left except a load of dead soldiers and a big bill for wars we had no place getting involved in in the first place.

I do agree that Cameron hasn't come up with much in the way of alternative suggestions so far and the most astute economist of all the parties in my view is Vince Cable of the LD's (I've never voted Lib in my life BTW).

The UK economy is in trouble, and there's no-one else to blame.

Seriously though, I actually thought you where joking when you posted the above comment...
Lets not bring the bravest people i can think of into this & calling them a load of dead soldiers I feel very ashamed they are heros.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by charlie brown
No pain no gain close eyes exchange set up
money leave rest dont look back,
In a nutshell, yes
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

In a nutshell, yes
It's the only plan left,fed up worring and wot if we must be
crazy,or sane
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 3:25 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

http://au.finance.yahoo.com/currency...AUD&amt=1&t=5d

1.7166 at the moment...
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

That's me decided !

If it drops to 1.5 then I'm moving back to pommyland

Originally Posted by asprilla
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 4:31 am
Just Joined

palmer59 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm leaving too, I wish (more of) my £'s had left sooner!
This is getting ridiculous....I've been planning on moving here for some time....I've been in Sydney for three months again and go back to the UK in a couple of days....all I see is house prices going up and up here....the cost of living going up here fast......and interest rates on the rise.....widening the gap between base rate here and the UK......all this with property in the UK still down on 2007 and probably due to go down again .....
The ex rate hit 1.71 today and I just don't see how Brits can possibly emigrate to Oz anymore with such disparity between house prices and such a truly appalling exchange rate....and yet all I see here is overseas buyers paying crazy amounts for flats and houses....somebody please tell me what is going on......I am far from stupid.....but really don't get it.....
I really think that the ex rate may well fall below 1.60 now.....what possible reason can there be for the pound improving....
So frustrating to find the year that I have planned to move is turning out to be the worst in 30 years for the AU$/£ and that the housing market here is racing ahead as ours continues to suffer thanks to the GFC induced mortgage famine !!!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

What is going on is that at the present time Australia has a stronger economy than the UK...its interest rates are higher thus leading to more confidence in the currency markets.

The BoE and the UK Gov have been happy to let the pound slide because it's good for exports, higher imports thereby hoping to close the trade balance.

Also don't forget a major pairing of currencies isn't the A$ and pound - everyone pitches against the US$ and the Euro. TBH it's only us migrants who probably really care about the A$/pound!

Australia is also a very different place to what is was many years ago but now with the mineral and resources boom it has lead to it being in better shape than the UK. Maybe things have got a bit too good here so that the cost of living has risen signifcantly in the last 5-6 years!

Also don't forget the Aussie banks and fiancial houses are in much better shape because they fleece you for everything here. In the UK we've enjoyed free banking, much lower interest rates etc and at the end of the day someone has to pay for it ...which is what is happening now I guess.

It is really sad for the majority of those people here who still have money in the UK (like me!) and also for those just about to come out. I don't know what the answer is but unless the UK starts to make some serious policies to tackle it's financial situation the markets won't have confidence in the UK and therefore the pound.

I was reading that the majority of economists agree that the UK deficit shouldn't be tackled just yet as the Gov still needs to keep spending to get out of recession. So whatever happens it's going to be well into next year before anyone starts to do anything about it whether it be Labour or Tory.

The pound did drop quite a bit in October, maybe down to 1.72 but has been up and down since then. The snow in January didn't help any of the UK figures which has probably been the significant factor in the drop for the last few days. Hopefully everyone can get out spending again in Feb and help the country's figures!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.