Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:03 am
  #781  
ABCDiamond
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by swigski
My point all along is that people have foolishly believed that the Australian economy is something special.
Originally Posted by swigski
Although it has fared better than most, much of this can be attributed to the massive stimulus.
So it has done better than most, due to the availability of a large surplus that was in reserve, and able to be used for the stimulus.

Other countries did not have that.

That tells me that Australia was special in having the ability to use what it had.
Or is that foolish thinking ?
 
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:09 am
  #782  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 159
Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by swigski
A little snippet from the SMH on how retail trade prices are down for the month of September

Stimulus wears out

The effects of Federal Government's stimulus spending, starting in October last year, may be wearing out, if today's retail sales figures are any guide.

''There does look to be some fatigue from consumers after bringing forward some expenditure because of the stimulus,'' said Capital Markets senior economist Su-Lin Ong. ''We're watching these numbers to get a sense of how well the consumer is holding up as the stimulus is withdrawn.''


Looks like the RBA may now avoid rising rates next month.

I suggested that the Australian Government's MASSIVE stimulus was responsible for papering over the cracks..................................



I will keep reminding you of this as the Australian recession keeps unfolding!
Of course it's wearing out, I spent mine the same month I got it and I'm sure most others did the same. After that nothing much has really changed in my world so if the stimulus papered over some unnoticeable cracks caused by market factors in other economies, so be it. As far as I can tell it must have done the job intended and Australia moves on. If I some how end up paying for it in the future, then I'll likely wear it, as that, to me, is how life seems to be. At the moment though I quite enjoyed getting my snorkel for the 4X4 paid for and I'm pleased to see my savings rise again. I fail to see how a recession has to happen here. I realise some people might wish for the prices to decline, (mainly housing) but I think those statements are driven more by personal want than market data.
Max&Ozzy is offline  
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:18 am
  #783  
Banned
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 564
swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
So it has done better than most, due to the availability of a large surplus that was in reserve, and able to be used for the stimulus.

Other countries did not have that.

That tells me that Australia was special in having the ability to use what it had.
Or is that foolish thinking ?
There may have been a surplus in 2007-2008. Not any more, or forecast for the next 4-5 financial years.

Maybe Australia being special meant it needed more help than others hence such a massive stimulus?

Or is that foolish thinking?
swigski is offline  
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:22 am
  #784  
Banned
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 564
swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
Of course it's wearing out, I spent mine the same month I got it and I'm sure most others did the same. After that nothing much has really changed in my world so if the stimulus papered over some unnoticeable cracks caused by market factors in other economies, so be it. As far as I can tell it must have done the job intended and Australia moves on. If I some how end up paying for it in the future, then I'll likely wear it, as that, to me, is how life seems to be. At the moment though I quite enjoyed getting my snorkel for the 4X4 paid for and I'm pleased to see my savings rise again. I fail to see how a recession has to happen here. I realise some people might wish for the prices to decline, (mainly housing) but I think those statements are driven more by personal want than market data.
A Financial crisis does not directly affect everyone. Before I left the UK at the what you could call peak, I had never been so well off! When the recession hits Australia, house prices will drop. That is not personal want but fact.
swigski is offline  
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:29 am
  #785  
ABCDiamond
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by swigski
A Financial crisis does not directly affect everyone. Before I left the UK at the what you could call peak, I had never been so well off! When the recession hits Australia, house prices will drop. That is not personal want but fact.
Are you really saying that it is a FACT that a recession will hit Australia, and that house prices will drop ?
 
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:43 am
  #786  
Banned
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 564
swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Are you really saying that it is a FACT that a recession will hit Australia, and that house prices will drop ?
In my opinion a recession will hit Australia and if so it has to be a fact that house prices will drop.
swigski is offline  
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:18 am
  #787  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 823
jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by swigski
There may have been a surplus in 2007-2008. Not any more, or forecast for the next 4-5 financial years.

Maybe Australia being special meant it needed more help than others hence such a massive stimulus?

Or is that foolish thinking?

Mate you're talking utter bollocks. Australia had just about the smallest stimulous package out of all the industrialised developed countries in the world, their total debt is about $55bn, compared to US's 1 trillion+, UK's 700bn etc, tiny small fry that if the economy continues as it is will be paid off in a couple of years.
jimbo_d is offline  
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:31 am
  #788  
Frequent Flyer Member
 
bcworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,994
bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Mate you're talking utter bollocks. Australia had just about the smallest stimulous package out of all the industrialised developed countries in the world, their total debt is about $55bn, compared to US's 1 trillion+, UK's 700bn etc, tiny small fry that if the economy continues as it is will be paid off in a couple of years.
It's actually not bollocks...as a percentage of GDP Australia has spent more than almost every other comparable country (if not the most) avoiding the recession, I saw the numbers the other week but can't find them again. The fact is the money was there to do it, which was different to some other countries.
bcworld is offline  
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:39 am
  #789  
ABCDiamond
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by swigski
In my opinion a recession will hit Australia and if so it has to be a fact that house prices will drop.
Did house prices drop in the 1990-91 recession ?
 
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:44 am
  #790  
Banned
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 564
swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Mate you're talking utter bollocks. Australia had just about the smallest stimulous package out of all the industrialised developed countries in the world, their total debt is about $55bn, compared to US's 1 trillion+, UK's 700bn etc, tiny small fry that if the economy continues as it is will be paid off in a couple of years.
The only countries with a bigger stimulus as a % of GDP (which is the most important part) were Russia, S.Korea, China and S.Africa in 2009. For 2010 the only countries to forecast a bigger stimulus are S. Africa, S. Korea, China and Germany.

If you would like to learn something, here is the link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8214272.stm
swigski is offline  
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:47 am
  #791  
poole ,dorset . love it
 
king kong's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,281
king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Did house prices drop in the 1990-91 recession ?
yes i believe they did ,im only going on personal experience though . I know i lost on one house and gained on the other ,they both dropped by 10% but what the official figures would be i dont know . i reckon from experiencce the 90-91 was worse for us ,there was absolutlely no work around at all .
Mind u rates were very high and house prices were roughly 3 to 1 average income for good homes .It was a better scenario for a sustained recovery but now with the rates so low and prices so high in relialty compared to then it may be a case of property having to come down a bit and wages growth to make things more affordable .
I honestly dont know where it will go but i think people are strethched enough as it is .
king kong is offline  
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:58 am
  #792  
ABCDiamond
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by king kong
yes i believe they did ,im only going on personal experience though . I know i lost on one house and gained on the other ,they both dropped by 10% but what the official figures would be i dont know . i reckon from experiencce the 90-91 was worse for us ,there was absolutlely no work around at all .
Mind u rates were very high and house prices were roughly 3 to 1 average income for good homes .It was a better scenario for a sustained recovery but now with the rates so low and prices so high in relialty compared to then it may be a case of property having to come down a bit and wages growth to make things more affordable .
I honestly dont know where it will go but i think people are strethched enough as it is .
I bought a house in Sydney in 1990 and it didn't go down, therefore for someone to state that it is a FACT that house prices will go down during a recession, may not be quite factual, in fact. As, in actual fact, mine didn't. FACT

I agree with your "I honestly dont know where it will go "
 
Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:08 am
  #793  
Banned
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 564
swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Did house prices drop in the 1990-91 recession ?
Shane Oliver of AMP says during the recession in the early 80’s and 90’s, the property market struggled as a result of the rise in unemployment, which triggered mortgage defaults.

“In the early 80’s house prices fell 12% in real terms. From 1989-93, property prices fell by 23% in real terms. So if you take the inflation rate over the next two years, which is averaged at around 2%, then real decline would mean nominal prices could come down by 15-20%,” he says.

FACT!
swigski is offline  
Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:10 am
  #794  
Banned
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 564
swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I bought a house in Sydney in 1990 and it didn't go down, therefore for someone to state that it is a FACT that house prices will go down during a recession, may not be quite factual, in fact. As, in actual fact, mine didn't. FACT

I agree with your "I honestly dont know where it will go "
So you bought in 1990. When did you sell?
swigski is offline  
Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:15 am
  #795  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 495
Catch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by bcworld
It's actually not bollocks...as a percentage of GDP Australia has spent more than almost every other comparable country (if not the most) avoiding the recession, I saw the numbers the other week but can't find them again. The fact is the money was there to do it, which was different to some other countries.


beat me to it ,correctomundo
Catch is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.