Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Old Oct 30th 2009, 12:58 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by Centurion
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6896278.ece
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125685441940816979.html

5th November is the date to watch. 3rd November sees the RBA with the interest rate meeting.
Isnt it 2.30pm RBA announce

3pm is the race

4.30pm the banks put up the rates ++
Old Oct 30th 2009, 2:08 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swigski
I know this, but I am talking about the First Home Buyers Grant (FHB) or First Time Buyers Grant (FTB) not Fringe Tax Benefits.

S
Old Oct 30th 2009, 2:14 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrCro
coz stockmarkets are down = aud down vs yank $ and = £ up vs aud

I still expect stockmarkets to take another hit and £ will fly!

The bottom I called couple of weeks ago looking good, hope all those wanting to buy back £'s took advantage!
I guess if you call it often enough, you get it right eventually
Old Oct 30th 2009, 9:22 pm
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

For those of you who , here is a snippet from a SMH article which backs up what I have been trying to say about the FIRST HOME BUYERS grant (FHB) artificially stimulating house prices.

According to the chief economist at CommSec, Craig James, new-home sales fell by 4.5 per cent in September after surging over 11 per cent to 19-month highs in August.

''The latest home-sales data is a welcome reality check,'' he said. ''While the Australian economy is doing well, activity in some parts of the economy is being artificially inflated by government stimulus.

''And the housing sector is a case in point. Not only has construction been boosted by government grants but interest rates are still hovering at generational lows. The government stimulus is in the process of being scaled back and the Reserve Bank has started to lift interest rates.

''We won't get a true sense of the state of the housing market until the temporary stimulus is totally withdrawn.''

And a snippet from another article:

The RP Data-Rismark index identified the recovery earlier than those prepared by real estate agents. It compares ''like sales'' with ''like sales'' and so is not distorted by changes in the composition of the stock sold.

''The booming growth that they are reporting now may relate more to past than present conditions,'' Mr Joye said. ''We see no evidence of prices accelerating.''

Reserve Bank figures released yesterday showed demand for credit remained weak. Total borrowing climbing just 1.7 per cent over the year to September, the slowest pace since 1993.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

For those of you who , here is a snippet from a SMH article which backs up what I have been trying to say about the FIRST HOME BUYERS grant (FHB) artificially stimulating house prices.

According to the chief economist at CommSec, Craig James, new-home sales fell by 4.5 per cent in September after surging over 11 per cent to 19-month highs in August.

''The latest home-sales data is a welcome reality check,'' he said. ''While the Australian economy is doing well, activity in some parts of the economy is being artificially inflated by government stimulus.

''And the housing sector is a case in point. Not only has construction been boosted by government grants but interest rates are still hovering at generational lows. The government stimulus is in the process of being scaled back and the Reserve Bank has started to lift interest rates.

''We won't get a true sense of the state of the housing market until the temporary stimulus is totally withdrawn.''

And a snippet from another article:

The RP Data-Rismark index identified the recovery earlier than those prepared by real estate agents. It compares ''like sales'' with ''like sales'' and so is not distorted by changes in the composition of the stock sold.

''The booming growth that they are reporting now may relate more to past than present conditions,'' Mr Joye said. ''We see no evidence of prices accelerating.''

Reserve Bank figures released yesterday showed demand for credit remained weak. Total borrowing climbing just 1.7 per cent over the year to September, the slowest pace since 1993.
Fair enough but I was talking about the FTB (Family Tax Benefit) and the stimulus associated with it, hence your post about Fringe Tax Benefits (sic) made no sense.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Oct 30th 2009 at 9:45 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:01 pm
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Fair enough but I was talking about the FTB (Family Tax Benefit) and the stimulus associated with it, hence your post about Fringe Tax Benefits (sic) made no sense.
A Misunderstanding caused by me using FTB as an abbreviation for First Time Buyers!
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
I guess if you call it often enough, you get it right eventually
think I only called bottom once!?

US stock markets took big hit again today - this thing ain't over! False dawn me thinks!
Old Oct 30th 2009, 11:00 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

A Misunderstanding caused by me using FTB as an abbreviation for First Time Buyers!

Yes, I think this was what the were for...

S
Old Oct 31st 2009, 2:08 am
ABCDiamond

I know this, but I am talking about the First Home Buyers Grant (FHB) or First Time Buyers Grant (FTB) not Fringe Tax Benefits.
Just to clarify - Fringe Tax Benefits - is actually Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT) not FTB.

Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:24 am
Banned

A little snippet from the SMH on how retail trade prices are down for the month of September

Stimulus wears out

The effects of Federal Government's stimulus spending, starting in October last year, may be wearing out, if today's retail sales figures are any guide.

''There does look to be some fatigue from consumers after bringing forward some expenditure because of the stimulus,'' said Capital Markets senior economist Su-Lin Ong. ''We're watching these numbers to get a sense of how well the consumer is holding up as the stimulus is withdrawn.''

Looks like the RBA may now avoid rising rates next month.

I suggested that the Australian Government's MASSIVE stimulus was responsible for papering over the cracks..................................

But the main affect of the stimulus has been to transfer private debt to public debt. Now, given that Aus started in the black the larger stimulus in Aus has not pushed Aus more into the red than the UK or US or pretty much anyone else apart from Canada.

As for the impending doom predictions I suspect they hold as much water as the predictions that the GFC is going to hit Aus sometime later than the rest of the developed world because it takes time for the effects to reach us from the UK and US. (Presumably because it's on a slow boat somewhere on the high seas.)

The biggest danger now is that all the extra money sloshing around will cause inflation. Although that is countered by the strong dollar (bingo - there's the connection to the exchange rate).

What is reassuring from reading the UK and Aus press is that Aus seems to have planned for the worst case senario and things have turned out better than expected whilst the UK has planned for the best case scenario and things are not working as well as they hoped. But then again maybe the Aus press just has it's head in the sand
I will keep reminding you of this as the Australian recession keeps unfolding!
Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:39 am
Account Closed

A little snippet from the SMH on how retail trade prices are down for the month of September

Stimulus wears out

The effects of Federal Government's stimulus spending, starting in October last year, may be wearing out, if today's retail sales figures are any guide.

''There does look to be some fatigue from consumers after bringing forward some expenditure because of the stimulus,'' said Capital Markets senior economist Su-Lin Ong. ''We're watching these numbers to get a sense of how well the consumer is holding up as the stimulus is withdrawn.''

Looks like the RBA may now avoid rising rates next month.

I suggested that the Australian Government's MASSIVE stimulus was responsible for papering over the cracks..................................

I will keep reminding you of this as the Australian recession keeps unfolding!
OK. Sad though that is, can you wait until Aus is officially in recession?
Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:53 am
Banned

OK. Sad though that is, can you wait until Aus is officially in recession?
That is not my point. My point all along is that people have foolishly believed that the Australian economy is something special. Although it has fared better than most, much of this can be attributed to the massive stimulus.
As a resident of Aus, it does not give me pleasure at all. I do hope that I'm wrong but it does seem that the picture is darkening somewhat.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:59 am
Account Closed

That is not my point. My point all along is that people have foolishly believed that the Australian economy is something special. Although it has fared better than most, much of this can be attributed to the massive stimulus.
As a resident of Aus, it does not give me pleasure at all. I do hope that I'm wrong but it does seem that the picture is darkening somewhat.
All along I've said that Aus'll suffer but will fair better than most.

These people who foolishly believed that the Australian economy is something special. Do they really exist?

Last edited by MartinLuther; Nov 4th 2009 at 2:02 am.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:59 am
ABCDiamond

Su-Lin Ong gets around...

28th October 2009
The results were slightly above market forecasts for a quarterly rise of 0.9 per cent and an annual increase of 1.2 per cent in headline inflation.

"That tells you that a cash rate at 3.25 per cent is too low," RBC Capital Markets senior economist Su-Lin Ong said.

"The RBA is going to keep lifting - we continue to favour a 25 basis points hike next week followed by another 25 basis points in December.
http://www.news-mail.com.au/story/20...-reserve-bank/

Old Nov 4th 2009, 2:01 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Im not sure aussie will darken , but i think it may stagnate especially if rates keep going up and maybe the stimulus package has to paid somehow ,so why not hit the worst off in the country , like new homeowners and renters who will find their rent going up because the bloke who has ten houses cant afford to swallow an extra 20 a week on payments on his investment mortgage .
Those with the Dosh will benefit like always the stimulation package was just paying for a nice holiday in bali .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.