Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Old Oct 25th 2010, 12:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
I thought this was interesting

Sterling is on its arse even against Zim Currency
That's South African Rand not Zim Dollars.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 12:38 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yes. This graph does not tell the whole story as it has been 20:1 to GBP in the past as well as 1.80:1 (in the early '80s).

Yes, but didn't the previous poster claim it was a graph of the GBP vs the ZIM$? Or has the ZIM$ merged with the ZAR now?

S
Old Oct 25th 2010, 12:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Or has the ZIM$ merged with the ZAR now?

S
No.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 12:54 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
No.

I didn't think it had, unless Uncle Bob had magically decided that the ZIM$ was now at parity with the ZAR, or something else crazy that only he could do...

S
Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

My Apologies

Serve me right for trying to be a smart arse

Stu
Old Oct 25th 2010, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

I just checked XE.com and the GBP is presently worth 1.58 Australian Dollars, I think it's time for me to start planning my next trip to the UK
Old Oct 25th 2010, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice

This article sums it up pretty well IMO.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...review-economy

Its a massive punt. Noone can say what might happen because its never been tried before (and neither has QE BTW). Predicted outcomes run the spectrum, from stagnation and deflation to hyperinflation.

Will be interesting to watch, if a little uncomfortable

Bit better than the US is all you can say... or potentially further back on the curve, which is truly a scary thought.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 6:07 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...ding-cuts.html

Will the Barmy Army be able to afford to come over this time?
Old Oct 25th 2010, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfjordan
What you need to remember with the Uk stock market is that the vast majority of the major companies quoted, earn most of their profits from sources which are not in Sterling, hence when they remit those earnings to the UK, it´s great for them as they can report higher Sterling profits, hence the value of their shares in Sterling increases
I meant world markets in general (e.g. the SPY), which seem pretty well correlated at the moment. What I was saying was that (for instance) when the SPY goes up the AUD also goes up, as its a risk currency and that the reverse is also true.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 7:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by expatasia
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...ding-cuts.html

Will the Barmy Army be able to afford to come over this time?
Another opinion from one of the 'experts'. I reckon these cuts have to happen. Yes, it will hurt for a while but the UK will come out of it in a better economic state.

They can't just do nothing.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by littda01
Bit better than the US is all you can say... or potentially further back on the curve, which is truly a scary thought.
The US Dollar makes interesting viewing, going back in time...
1925 $US 2.47 to each A$
1939 $US 2.00 to each A$
1973 $US 1.40 to each A$
1983 $US 0.94 to each A$
1986 $US 0.62 to each A$
2001 $US 0.48 to each A$
2010 $US 0.99 to each A$

Old Oct 25th 2010, 2:02 pm

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

1.57 whens the pain gonna end ?
Old Oct 25th 2010, 2:05 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lancastrian48
At about $1.40 I'm afraid...and the pain will lessen but not much over the next two years. The things will get back to about 2:1

At the mo, I leave my UK income there and buy from the UK on the internet. Seems the best use of pounds at the moment.

I'm about $1,000 a month worse off from when I got here.........moan
Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:55 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing's for certain, and exchange rate speculation is one of the best examples of this, however, in the seeming absence of any other clear evidence or indicators on the horizon, plan for it to drop some more.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690076

Last edited by DownUnderPaddy; Oct 25th 2010 at 9:01 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 9:13 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree at $1.40. The outlook for the UK is now on recession prevention and I'm not entirely certain there are the fundamentals there to really support that and more QE is likely.

With some savage cuts made and more VAT to go on its really quite bleak.

Not good reading for those who wish to migrate.

On the upside, my UK trip next month is looking better by the moment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.