Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Old Sep 18th 2009, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

yip good on ya mate, takes balls because nobody knows what rate will do and anyone profiting deserves credit.

I had so many opportunities 2.48, 2.38. down to 2 in december, then 2.28 Jan and downhill ever since!!! But held on hoping for spike rates again.

Well and truely bit me on ass now!
Old Sep 18th 2009, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

I feel exactly the same as you MrCro!

Whilst we have done well on our UK equity (built up over 26 years of mortgage toil!) it just HURTS so much to think of what we could be getting even if the rates were sitting at their normal 2.30-2.40 rate.

If we buy in Oz now it's either a bigger mortgage (yuk) that's if we can get one being self employed or a yuk house - housing stock isn't good where we are at the moment!

Actually if I was about to come over I wouldn't be so worried because I think it's best to rent for at least a year and things might be better by then but I've been here nearly 3 now and want my own roof as now fed up with not being able to change anything, paint anything, have a decent oven etc etc - maybe it's a girlie thing with the nesting instinct!

Anyway - what we need is bad data from the US and Oz to make the UK look better. Reading a couple of reports on Bloomberg yesterday evening and a recovery for the pound isn't looking too good against other currencies either.

Problem is the data coming out of the UK is over the Summer period and we all know UK plc shuts down then. Retail sales were static in August but then most people are away and have bought their holiday clothes in the July sales - that's if they can afford to go to Europe now! Might have to wait until Sept/Oct figures are through for an improvement - if it is going to happen otherwise I think the general election will be our only hope!

I was reading an article over here which said it might be best to wait until the FTHBG is out of the way as it's over inflated prices under $500k for 2nd hand properties and the builders have used it to their advantage for new builds. So you never know with that and a new Govt it might all work out - please, pretty please.....:finger scrossed:

KK
Old Sep 18th 2009, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. yes, all those people thinking about going back....buy pounds lots of them and then the markets will think the pound is really popular and it will become really scarce and improve....so you can do your bit to help us out who want to stay here.. thanks...
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by koalakim

Whilst we have done well on our UK equity (built up over 26 years of mortgage toil!) it just HURTS so much to think of what we could be getting even if the rates were sitting at their normal 2.30-2.40 rate.

KK
The normal rate you quote was only normal when the UK was a stronger country economically.
Now that is not, this is the normal rate.

Recovery is definately possible, but i dont see a quick fix

Stu
Old Sep 19th 2009, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by koalakim
I feel exactly the same as you MrCro!

If we buy in Oz now it's either a bigger mortgage (yuk) that's if we can get one being self employed or a yuk house - housing stock isn't good where we are at the moment!

Actually if I was about to come over I wouldn't be so worried because I think it's best to rent for at least a year and things might be better by then but I've been here nearly 3 now and want my own roof as now fed up with not being able to change anything, paint anything, have a decent oven etc etc - maybe it's a girlie thing with the nesting instinct!

Anyway - what we need is bad data from the US and Oz to make the UK look better. Reading a couple of reports on Bloomberg yesterday evening and a recovery for the pound isn't looking too good against other currencies either.

Problem is the data coming out of the UK is over the Summer period and we all know UK plc shuts down then. Retail sales were static in August but then most people are away and have bought their holiday clothes in the July sales - that's if they can afford to go to Europe now! Might have to wait until Sept/Oct figures are through for an improvement - if it is going to happen otherwise I think the general election will be our only hope!

I was reading an article over here which said it might be best to wait until the FTHBG is out of the way as it's over inflated prices under $500k for 2nd hand properties and the builders have used it to their advantage for new builds. So you never know with that and a new Govt it might all work out - please, pretty please.....:finger scrossed:

KK
Some insight into how dismal the UK currency is, and could be for quite some time.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1253...googlenews_wsj
My feeling is the Bank of England ran too quickly with their interest rate cuts and will now take years to get back to normal operating levels. Like Japan, still lagging 6 years later.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
Some insight into how dismal the UK currency is, and could be for quite some time.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1253...googlenews_wsj
My feeling is the Bank of England ran too quickly with their interest rate cuts and will now take years to get back to normal operating levels. Like Japan, still lagging 6 years later.
the Jap yen has been one of the strongest currencies this year!? Recession does not always equal weak currency!

There are so many anti £ people posting on various threads and I don't understand why expats take such pleasure in sterling beating!? I would be interested to know why though? Are these ping pongers who have failed in the aussie dream?
Old Sep 20th 2009, 12:19 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrCro
Are these ping pongers who have failed in the aussie dream?
Maybe the Aussie dream failed them!?

Many of the sterling beater uppers are still in the UK from what I can see.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrCro
the Jap yen has been one of the strongest currencies this year!? Recession does not always equal weak currency!

There are so many anti £ people posting on various threads and I don't understand why expats take such pleasure in sterling beating!? I would be interested to know why though? Are these ping pongers who have failed in the aussie dream?
Not sure you could say I was a sterling beater. Simply quoting an article about how the times are very different these days for it.

As for failed Aussie dream and still in UK, neither of the two. Love my life here and I am actually enjoying the rate as I've been buying back £'s mmakinga happy profit. Happy to wait however long it takes to convert back again, for another nice capital gain.

Perhaps those still in UK are upset as they had planned on something bigger than what is being offered now, hhencethe 'we've lost money' feelings. Although really, they haven't lost, just missed an opportunity.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 1:30 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

.[/QUOTE]

UK borrowing 56 million per day now, the pounds going to take a pummelling.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:03 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I caught the UK news the other day (BBC) on the same day that the Age printed about the RBA windfall.

Whereas the Aus government had overestimated the potential problem (and hence underestimated the tax revenues) the UK government had done the complete opposite.

It was interesting to see Cameron speaking on the news. Although he had plenty to get his teeth into he was obviously hindered by having no plan of his own.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 6:55 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I caught the UK news the other day (BBC) on the same day that the Age printed about the RBA windfall.

Whereas the Aus government had overestimated the potential problem (and hence underestimated the tax revenues) the UK government had done the complete opposite.

It was interesting to see Cameron speaking on the news. Although he had plenty to get his teeth into he was obviously hindered by having no plan of his own.
And these next elections are going to line up a bunch of losers for us to choose between.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Its going to start going up monday!
It will be heading back for $2/£1 within 4 weeks

Old Sep 20th 2009, 7:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO

Confidence... that's what's needed

Old Sep 20th 2009, 12:44 pm
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

1.87 today, getting even better........

I just hope it can stay good while we sell our house here. I should have the deposit soon to lock in this brilliant rate.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO

Actually aussie buck just went up some more, if the morning news is correct

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.