British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   £300 I have no chance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/%C3%82%C2%A3300-i-have-no-chance-315973/)

younggary Jul 25th 2005 5:39 pm

£300 I have no chance

Maybe i am expecting to much but 270 to 300 GBP a week doesn't sound
much. When i have to pay all the household bills and other expenses that will come in.
My job wage in Aus only command's this sort of money, my wife will get a part time job but i still think we will struggle to make ends meet. The whole point of coming to Aus is to have a better quality of life and spend more time with our 2 children.
What I would like to know. is it possible to live in Aus on a small budget and is there any help from the government or agency's ?. :scared:

Centurion Jul 25th 2005 5:47 pm

Re: £300 I have no chance

Originally Posted by younggary
much. When i have to pay all the household bills and other expenses that will come in.
My job wage in Aus only command's this sort of money, my wife will get a part time job but i still think we will struggle to make ends meet. The whole point of coming to Aus is to have a better quality of life and spend more time with our 2 children.
What I would like to know. is it possible to live in Aus on a small budget and is there any help from the government or agency's ?. :scared:

Hiya,

There is a waiting time of two years before you get state assistance. Here's a link for you :

http://www.immi.gov.au/settle/work/income_support.htm

I should say that Australia is not really a cheap place to live, comparative to the UK, when you look at the overall picture.

fraser Jul 25th 2005 5:56 pm

If you have children you're entitled to child benefit as soon as you land.

younggary Jul 25th 2005 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by fraser
If you have children you're entitled to child benefit as soon as you land.

Hi Ya Fraser,
Thank's 4 reply, I wonder if u can let me know how much the child benefit is !

fraser Jul 25th 2005 6:02 pm

Hi Ya Fraser,
Thank's 4 reply, I wonder if u can let me know how much the child benefit is !

I'm not sure but it's means tested, someone put a link up the other day where you could have a look online,

Try doing a search for centrelink and you may find it

fraser Jul 25th 2005 6:06 pm

I've found the link just hit it and look down the page for estimate family assistance.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ices/index.htm

Jamiem Jul 25th 2005 6:49 pm

hello mate,

that's really not too bad a weekly wage mate, and if you are prepared to up-sticks and get that one-way ticket to a new life, then I'm sure you'll also be able to embrace the changes that you need to make to get by comfortably. If you're prepared to settle for somewhere basic but with fantastic oppotunities lifestyle wise, then you'll love it. If not then you'll most likely fall flat on your face. I hear a lot from people on here that they want a "better lifestyle" and more time with their kids, but you have to appreciate that to get some things you have to sacrifice others. Whether or not this is something you are willing to do is your decision, and yours alone. All the very best mate.

Jamie

Bradley7 Jul 25th 2005 10:30 pm

Hi

Would depend on where you're going to live, what kind of car/home etc you want. Some parts of Aus that'd be a fairly good wage. Will find you a link for cost of living etc if you want?

Cheers :beer:

bondipom Jul 25th 2005 11:11 pm

http://www.familyassist.gov.au/

NJJ Jul 26th 2005 10:59 pm

Chances are you may end up working longer hours than you are in the UK for the same amount of pay. Wait until Johnny Howard's new workplace laws come into place and a lot of people may be even worse off...

...BUT...

You wont know what your specific situation would be for sure until you give Aus a try anyways..

You may well be working longer hours for less pay, but rent/property is generally less than UK anyways, although other things like utility/energy bills and food shopping is around about the same price in each country.

alkristensen Jul 26th 2005 11:15 pm

you could always stay in the uk and get a less demanding job.
Or move to thailand and live like a king off renting your house out. The world is your oyster, its just a few sacrifices that you have to make to be happy. You are dead a long time and the harder you work the quicker it goes by. We are buying a plot and a house outright when we get there, therefore less we have to earn. We are goin to grow or own veggies and have couple of chucks (do a half good life), and work part time if necessary. If you want quality outoor life away from the rat race then go for it. If you are too tied down with materialism and the need to keep up with the joneses then forget it.

The decision is yours and good luck.

al

hevs Jul 26th 2005 11:18 pm

AL, something else you need to learn quick, a plot is something you buy for when you've finished living your dream, a block is something you buy whithin which to live it ;) :D

(The real estate people had many a laugh at me for that one :o )

ABCDiamond Jul 27th 2005 12:30 am

First thing you need to do is stop working out things in £'s. When the exchange rate changes, so does the figure you work on, even though the figure you get doesn't change, and nor do the expenses :)

Many people seem to start on low wages but build up after 6 months or a year, once they have local experience. Would this apply to you ?

Working on £300 at 2.3, that gives a gross salary of about $35,000 is that correct ? If so, it is less than the average wage. But... that could easily be topped up with another $10,000 (net Family Tax Benefit) depending on the family circumstances.

Geordie George Jul 27th 2005 1:54 am

Although this does depend on where you are. I find our Sydney rent comparable to the rent we used to pay for a similar place in Oxford. Agreed about costs of other bills - fairly comparable to the UK. Personally speaking, I find the cost of living in Sydney to be more or less the same to the cost of living in the south of England.

Originally Posted by NJJ
You may well be working longer hours for less pay, but rent/property is generally less than UK anyways, although other things like utility/energy bills and food shopping is around about the same price in each country.

nfernand Jul 27th 2005 3:40 am

To have good standard of living I reckon a combin annual salary should be $100K. I have only lived for 3 months. So not the correct person to say.