British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   £75.00 to Hong Kong? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/%C2%A375-00-hong-kong-405099/)

julie hilton Oct 30th 2006 11:53 am

£75.00 to Hong Kong?

There are rumours that there is going to be flights for as little as £75.00 to Hong Kong. I was thinking, that if this is the case, then we could get to Hong Kong for £75.00 and the buy a flight to Australia. Do you think we would save lots of money?

esperanza Oct 30th 2006 12:04 pm

Re: £75.00 to Hong Kong?

Free lunch, no such thing as a?

Sorry to be cynical, but find that hard to believe. Would be brilliant if true though!

julie hilton Oct 30th 2006 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by esperanza
Free lunch, no such thing as a?

Sorry to be cynical, but find that hard to believe. Would be brilliant if true though!

There were talks about it in the paper, but you never know!!!!!

fnord Oct 30th 2006 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by julie hilton
There are rumours that there is going to be flights for as little as £75.00 to Hong Kong. I was thinking, that if this is the case, then we could get to Hong Kong for £75.00 and the buy a flight to Australia. Do you think we would save lots of money?

Yeah, the first flight took off on Friday I think.

That doesn't include taxes or fuel charges (an extra £68 each way). Also, only 10% of seats are guaranteed as this price. Still cheap, though.

Take a look here for more details.

julie hilton Oct 30th 2006 12:11 pm

Here is the website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5320918.stm

julie hilton Oct 30th 2006 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by fnord
Yeah, the first flight took off on Friday I think.

That doesn't include taxes or fuel charges (an extra £68 each way). Also, only 10% of seats are guaranteed as this price. Still cheap, though.

Take a look here for more details.

You beat me to it :) Lol

Pollyana Oct 30th 2006 12:56 pm

As a low cost airline, you are almost certainly looking at paying for the extras, like meals. Also beware of not being able to book an onward flight, and of poor connection, and having to collect your bags and then recheck them.
As with most airlines, you get what you pay for.

TheAshleys Oct 30th 2006 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As a low cost airline, you are almost certainly looking at paying for the extras, like meals. Also beware of not being able to book an onward flight, and of poor connection, and having to collect your bags and then recheck them.
As with most airlines, you get what you pay for.

No, you get meals for that price too.

OzTennis Oct 30th 2006 2:03 pm

Just wait a la Ryanair and Easyjet for them to announce that the airport for Hong Kong is in mainland China or Vietnam and you have to find your own way to Honkers. :D I expect this will give cattle class a new meaning - 13 hour flight in sub 29" seat pitch.

Reminds me of an experience I had flying from Glasgow to Dublin on Aer Lingus. The flight left about midday so I wondered if food would be provided on the flight. I rang the airline and they said, yes, I would get a snack. Imagine my horror when true to their word I got - a Cadbury's Snack biscuit. :D

OzTennis :)

JackTheLad Oct 30th 2006 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I expect this will give cattle class a new meaning - 13 hour flight in sub 29" seat pitch.

I just had a quick look on the airline's website. Their economy class has 32" seat pitch so that's pretty much the same as most airlines. It sounds quite okay to me and if I were travelling between Hong Kong and Gatwick in the future, I might well give it a go if I manage to get one of the 10% of seats which are offered at the lower prices.

Mrs JTL

Amazulu Oct 30th 2006 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Just wait a la Ryanair and Easyjet for them to announce that the airport for Hong Kong is in mainland China or Vietnam and you have to find your own way to Honkers. :D I expect this will give cattle class a new meaning - 13 hour flight in sub 29" seat pitch.

Reminds me of an experience I had flying from Glasgow to Dublin on Aer Lingus. The flight left about midday so I wondered if food would be provided on the flight. I rang the airline and they said, yes, I would get a snack. Imagine my horror when true to their word I got - a Cadbury's Snack biscuit. :D

OzTennis :)

Virgin Blue & Jetstar are moving into budget longhaul flights. USA, Hawaii, Thailand & beyond by 2008. Most of the Boeing 787 Dreamliners that Qantas have ordered are going to Jetstar. Should be good.