Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

£100k Buying a car, ship it to Oz, sell it for Oz dollars?

£100k Buying a car, ship it to Oz, sell it for Oz dollars?

Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:18 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: £100k Buying a car, ship it to Oz, sell it for Oz dollars?

Not sure if this website has already been mentioned in the thread (sorry havent had time to read it all)
http://www.raws.com.au/ImportPurchase.asp
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Druid
I just got my permit through for a 2009 Mini on a 457 Visa no probs
Well done that's very good to know, that importing car on 457 is a go.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Mike-S will become famous soon enough

I'm just about to submit all the paperwork to import my Range Rover Sport, we've already had approval to import my wife's car (it's sat at Melbourne docks now) and we're on 457's, so it's not an issue. Bit of a paperchase but certainly worth it.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cubeonly
Well done that's very good to know, that importing car on 457 is a go.

Let us know how it goes.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Alfresco

Let us know how it goes.
it'll be several months before i start it all off, but certainly will post the whoel expereience on this site!
Old Aug 9th 2012, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

spectralcluster will become famous soon enoughspectralcluster will become famous soon enough

I know a guy who works for Aston Martin in Aus, having come over here from the UK. My belief is that the price difference in luxury cars is just another example of Aussie price discrimination in a protected market. I questioned whether there was any real difference between the UK and Aus models. I was surprised to hear the differences aren't all superficial. One example is the paint job which is different to allow for greater temperature extremes (as you might expect). He also mentioned a recent (at the time) change to the law would allow a customer to return the car for fairly trivial reasons, substantially increasing AM's costs.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 12:35 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I would be extremely surprised if a manufacturer used a different paint for different markets, what would be the point ? Why not just use the same 'extreme' paint for everywhere ? Regardless of that it would add very little to the cost of the car. America has had a lemon law for years and AM's are cheaper than anywhere in the world. The price difference is protectionism and profiteering, nothing more or less.

Originally Posted by spectralcluster
I know a guy who works for Aston Martin in Aus, having come over here from the UK. My belief is that the price difference in luxury cars is just another example of Aussie price discrimination in a protected market. I questioned whether there was any real difference between the UK and Aus models. I was surprised to hear the differences aren't all superficial. One example is the paint job which is different to allow for greater temperature extremes (as you might expect). He also mentioned a recent (at the time) change to the law would allow a customer to return the car for fairly trivial reasons, substantially increasing AM's costs.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Jord w will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by spectralcluster

I work for DuPont paint and we supply Aston Martin and Jaguar Landrover plus various other car companies, the paint for cars going to Australia is no different to the cars going to Europe or anywhere else in the world. They paint gets baked through the ovens at 140oC!
Old Aug 9th 2012, 1:37 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes as I thought. I doubt there is any notable difference in the Australian models, the market is just too small to warrant anything major.

Originally Posted by Jord w

I work for DuPont paint and we supply Aston Martin and Jaguar Landrover plus various other car companies, the paint for cars going to Australia is no different to the cars going to Europe or anywhere else in the world. They paint gets baked through the ovens at 140oC!
Old Aug 9th 2012, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, when are Aussies gonna learn that they get screwed over left right and centre by businesses and franchises.

Take the Audi R8 for instance. Buy it is UK for these than $200k and so with shipping and luxury tax you end up around the $280k region. That's $100k less than the local Audi franchise

The import tax excuse is just that as I have friends that import for there company and can seriously undercut most Oz companies selling exactly the same product. Siemens Oz is 40% more expensive than Europe including shipping and taxes. So on and so on.....................
Old Nov 27th 2012, 12:44 am
Just Joined

gunlomboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to add my sorry tale to this thread.

I imported an Aston Martin DB7 in February 2012. No problem getting the import permit as the car was on the SEVS list, but I have hit problems with compliance. The issue was that most cars on the SEVS list have an approved RAWS workshop which has been through the compliance process for that car and is registered to bring the particular model up to compliance. This was not the case with the DB7,

The car has been inspected now on 4 occasions and more work has been required each time. The inspectors seem to make things up as they go along.

Anyway, I'm now up to $38,000.00 in compliance work. The money doesn't bother me as I didn't buy the car to sell it and make a profit, it was my daily transport in the UK for a number of years prior to importation. What does bother me is the ADR's ... they reek of hypocrisy, especially when you look at the crap that is produced and mostly driven in Australia. The RAWS workshop I am using has a repair shop next door and I have seen the remains of a number of new Holdens in there, they crumple like tissue paper, and the workshop owner told me that seatbelt mounts fail regularly on them, yet this is one of the items that has had a lot of work on the Aston.

The Aston is up for inspection again next week, so hopefully I'll have some good news.