Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The £1000 pound pom

The £1000 pound pom

Old Sep 1st 2007, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future
Default The £1000 pound pom

Like many expats here we have heard the stories of the £10 pound poms.

In this modern world of ours if the Australian Goverment decided to reopen this program again, in todays money charge £1000 pounds a head. Qantas 747 ready each day and some basic 6 weeks bedsit to stay when you first arrive.

Put an advertisement in the Sun, all you need is a grand and a British Passport.

HOW MANY WOULD COME??????
Old Sep 1st 2007, 9:53 pm
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future
Default Re: The £1000 pound pom

to many chavs for my liking.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 9:54 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moocow
to many chavs for my liking.
grate innit?
Old Sep 1st 2007, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

The typical £1000 pom these days (maybe)
Is having grate inglish and can prawn me muthers bling for a pony. Can I pay the rest with a bunk up in the park. I can't speak foron though as I dropped out ov skol when I had me furd kid. Can I fly the plane? oh ok well can I fly it as my treat if I get locked up then?
I don't read the Sun was it, far to common for me so I would miss the advert. Now if it went in the daily star maybe I wuld just see it innit du no

Please excuse my DH. Left him with the laptop whilst I made coffee to sober him up (rolleyes)

Last edited by TMRE; Sep 1st 2007 at 10:17 pm. Reason: drunk hubby!!:(
Old Sep 1st 2007, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomref

In this modern world of ours if the Australian Goverment decided to reopen this program again, in todays money charge £1000 pounds a head. Qantas 747 ready each day and some basic 6 weeks bedsit to stay when you first arrive.

Put an advertisement in the Sun, all you need is a grand and a British Passport.

Think its already opened the floodgates, seriously the amount of migrants arriving seems to far outweigh the amount of jobs by a long long shot.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Think its already opened the floodgates, seriously the amount of migrants arriving seems to far outweigh the amount of jobs by a long long shot.

I only know about nursing really, and know that this does not apply to the nursing profession. There are thousands of posts that cant be filled in Australia.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure they could charge far more than that as they do guarantee a better lifestyle

And the grass is far greener lol
Old Sep 1st 2007, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

My future employer has offered to refund my flight and other costs (visa, relocation etc) up to $20,000 and provide 6weeks free place to stay on arrival. Not much difference really.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 12:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
the amount of migrants arriving seems to far outweigh the amount of jobs by a long long shot.
Maybe in Qld but not the case in Perth.
Too many jobs and not enough workers.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 1:06 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

I get the impression from the wife's uncle who game out as a £10 pom in the 60's that it was pretty tough going. Hard work, living in army type huts etc.

I think they'd still get plenty of takers at £10,000 if you got straight in.. Even 50K, illegals pay more than 10K to sit in a container for a few weeks.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Maybe in Qld but not the case in Perth.
Too many jobs and not enough workers.
Theres loads of jobs in QLD but the reality is in the detail, QLD is a big place, and many of those jobs are NOT in the prime beach/near city locations people are moving too.

Its like when people talk about "Perths high wages" (not you, just an example) but what they really mean is WA's wages including the very high wages of people working in mines 1600 klm from perth.

Or like Doctors, in towns like this theres a huge medical prac on every major intersecton here, nobody needs another Doctor/Dentist or even Nurse but outback theres hundreds of positions they have not been able to fill for years.

I dont know about Perth but often in brisbane etc, jobs advertised are not here but QLD wide, wouldnt be surprised with a State the size of WA similar things happen.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I tell people I am a 1000 pound Pom because that's what it cost me (admin and medical fees)!
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I tell people I am a 1000 pound Pom because that's what it cost me (admin and medical fees)!

They got you on the cheap. I reckon mine was closer to £2000, and there must be families out there who cost a hell of a lot more too
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=datamile;5262093]I get the impression from the wife's uncle who game out as a £10 pom in the 60's that it was pretty tough going. Hard work, living in army type huts etc.

Let me put it this way - you didn't think you'd landed in paradise!
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

1000 pound pomme sounds good, our agent was £1500!!!! money well spent if we get visa!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.