Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

£100 to open a OZ account with the HSBC Bank

£100 to open a OZ account with the HSBC Bank

Old Apr 11th 2007, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Philhowe is a jewel in the roughPhilhowe is a jewel in the roughPhilhowe is a jewel in the roughPhilhowe is a jewel in the rough
Default £100 to open a OZ account with the HSBC Bank

I'm absolutely furious with my local HSBC bank.

I went this lunch time to open a bank account in Australia after chatting with one of their representatives at the Migration show in London recently.

I’ve been with HSBC/Midland bank all my life so I thought it a good idea to continue to use their services when we move to Australia.

I was told when I applied this afternoon that there will be a £100 administration fee!!!

I walked out….. has anyone else been charged this by HSBC?

Phil – still hacked off about it!!!
Old Apr 11th 2007, 1:03 pm
skye

Default Re: £100 to open a OZ account with the HSBC Bank

We have just opened an account with commonwealth bank from the UK - did it all on line and received a phone call the next day. We just need to transfer a small amount of money to cover the charges (5$) a month until we get out there and can validate the account. No way would we use HSBC or our accounts in UK!!!

Old Apr 11th 2007, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Philhowe
I'm absolutely furious with my local HSBC bank.

I went this lunch time to open a bank account in Australia after chatting with one of their representatives at the Migration show in London recently.

I’ve been with HSBC/Midland bank all my life so I thought it a good idea to continue to use their services when we move to Australia.

I was told when I applied this afternoon that there will be a £100 administration fee!!!

I walked out….. has anyone else been charged this by HSBC?

Phil – still hacked off about it!!!
There are loads of us that opened HSBC account in the UK....do it online. Then just take the paperwork to the bank to verify yourself. I didnt pay an admin fee!!
Old Apr 11th 2007, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

I went into my local branch last week to enquire about a new account in Oz. After 5 minutes discussion they told me to phone their call centre as this may be quicker. When I phoned them this morning they told me to go to my local branch!! Explained that I'd already done this and so they passed me through to their international dept who also explained that they would charge me a £100 fee for doing it whilst still in the UK.
Unbelievable after more than 20 years with them

Can you give me some more details on how to apply on-line.

Many thanks
Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

daveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of light

We opened an HSBC account only a few weeks ago. We now have accounts open in OZ. They have sent us our cards, cheque books etc..... Mind you, it is a PREMIER account we opened on both sides. (Min £50.000 to be in account within 3 months.) Hope house sells within 3 months, or Oz. account gets closed, but we can just open another from here. So easy, no probs.

Regards

Dave and Kath
Old Apr 11th 2007, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

gordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to all

Originally Posted by daveandkathh
We opened an HSBC account only a few weeks ago. We now have accounts open in OZ. They have sent us our cards, cheque books etc..... Mind you, it is a PREMIER account we opened on both sides. (Min £50.000 to be in account within 3 months.) Hope house sells within 3 months, or Oz. account gets closed, but we can just open another from here. So easy, no probs.

Regards

Dave and Kath
We have just applied to Westpac by downloading forms on line and faxing it to them. I also sent them an e-mail and they were really helpful. No set up fee however they do charge $5 per month in total for all transactions.

You dont need a minimum amount of money to open this account.

Apparently they will post all the sort numbers etc to me within the next 3 weeks. You can make transfers into the account before leaving the UK - but you cant lift any money out until you physically go into a branch in Australia showing them your passport details.

Hope this helps.
Laura
Old Apr 11th 2007, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by skye
We have just opened an account with commonwealth bank from the UK - did it all on line and received a phone call the next day. We just need to transfer a small amount of money to cover the charges (5$) a month until we get out there and can validate the account. No way would we use HSBC or our accounts in UK!!!
I've looked at this account & have only found the info you have to print off, and post to London with certified documents. Has anyone got the link for this account application, please?