Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

£1 = $2.40 Fantastic

£1 = $2.40 Fantastic

Old Oct 6th 2008, 11:28 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: £1 = $2.40 Fantastic

Originally Posted by The O'Neills
It's driving me a bit batty this rate thing! I've been sittin' on it for a couple of months now, but I'm going to our cash very soon I think - especially with the pressure the UK banks are under right now.

Nic
I exchanged at 2.39 and was happy with that, to be honest just do it as you never know what will happen, yeah you might win a little, but equally could lose a little, anything over 2.35 in my opinion is a good exchange rate...
Old Oct 6th 2008, 11:35 pm
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
I exchanged at 2.39 and was happy with that, to be honest just do it as you never know what will happen, yeah you might win a little, but equally could lose a little, anything over 2.35 in my opinion is a good exchange rate...
I hear you, but we want to move our entire house equity, and we stand to make a lot of $ if we move at the right time! I understand that we might lose by not acting as well, that's what's making me nervous. At the end of the day, relocating to Oz is an expensive business, and every penny counts!

Nic
Old Oct 6th 2008, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Carlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to all

Advice pls, we have only registered an account with moneycorp, not sure if this is a good exchange broker or not really, but if we were to register with another broker, can you simply do this or does it take days to set-up an agreement. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Russ
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:36 am
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Exclamation Re: £1 = $2.40 Fantastic

I just found this forcast on the web...

Daily FX
Australian Dollar Technical Outlook
Monday October 6, 12:21 pm ET
By Jamie Saettele, Senior Currency Strategist [email protected]
The AUDUSD is in free fall. Based upon wave structure, the free fall may continue. .7822 may be the top of a small second wave.

As long as price is below there, expectations are for the decline to continue until chart support at .7012 and a Fibonacci extension at .6467.

Sounds great... But I haven't got a clue what he's talking about

it is this planet thou!

Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:48 am
At home in Qld

theelliotts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Carlton Cold's
Advice pls, we have only registered an account with moneycorp, not sure if this is a good exchange broker or not really, but if we were to register with another broker, can you simply do this or does it take days to set-up an agreement. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Russ
We decided to use OzForex - had opened a couple of accounts including HIFX. To date, OzForex have been good - no problems at all. If I remember correctly, account opening was same day/instant. Check their website which will have a link to open an account/register.

HTH
Nina
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

My worry at the moment is that my money in the UK (GBP 12,000) is currently "guaranteed" if the bank it's in goes under... there's no such guarantee over here in Australia so I'm a tad reluctant to bring the money over when we don't have an imminent "use" for it.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:31 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The O'Neills
I hear you, but we want to move our entire house equity, and we stand to make a lot of $ if we move at the right time! I understand that we might lose by not acting as well, that's what's making me nervous. At the end of the day, relocating to Oz is an expensive business, and every penny counts!

Nic
I know where your sitting right now, I moved over 100,000 gbp so I understand a few points makes a difference, that being my point, it becomes irrelevant after time. Stop sweating the do or don't I scenario and just do it now.

Also more potential to save money with good property, furnishing and car choices.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul from Poole
Just walked in the door after a weekend in Dubai. Estate agent calls to confirm my house buyer has offered another £20k for our house and wants to move very quickly then the money broker calls me to tell Aud is at 2.40 Lets av some of that, Fantastic Moving getting cheaper by the day. Pinch me someone. Noosa here we come 27th November.
Hi Paul,
I'm very near to Noosa...if you need a hand with anything when you arrive, let me know

Good luck with the move.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:07 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
Shame no one can sell their house to make the most of it
You can still set up a forward exchange contract. You can roll it forward again and again (until you get the money from the house sale) with no penalty and keep your great exchange rate.

Gina
Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Paul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nice

I jumped in both feet ordered £100k for december Hope Ive got the money by then got $2.3969 I'm happy could have gone the other way $2.02 not so long ago and I,ve been doing my sums on 2.15 so I'm happy.Thanks for the offer Sallie/ sarah I'll keep that in mind. I used Globalexchange.com have used them before gave a good rate and service.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Paul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nice

You can put the money in a ausi bank account in england in $aud Migratingbank.com you then get the same protection or check at your own bank about opening a currancy account
Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Basty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to all

I've done it Pre-fixed the funds for the end of the month at 2.4 yippeeee
Thought I had better do it now otherwise it will just be my luck and tomorrow it will drop to 2.1
Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Carlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to all

hi, does pre-fixed the funds mean you have purchased the funds now at 2.40, but dont have to pay the broker until end of the month..

I bet you sleep better now, Ive got a limit order placed at 2.47, but dont think this will be achieved, so might have to revise this figure during the week. Its so difficult to know what to do for the best.. especially after I exchange some funds we required back in july when it was sh.t !!!!

good luck to everyone.

Russ
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Carlton Cold's
hi, does pre-fixed the funds mean you have purchased the funds now at 2.40, but dont have to pay the broker until end of the month..

I bet you sleep better now, Ive got a limit order placed at 2.47, but dont think this will be achieved, so might have to revise this figure during the week. Its so difficult to know what to do for the best.. especially after I exchange some funds we required back in july when it was sh.t !!!!

good luck to everyone.

Russ
I saw it hit 2.46 last night, we brought at 2.45 from Ozforex - having the laptop open watching their rate was good as when we eventually got through, they said 2.39 but hubby stood his ground and said rate is 2.45 so the just agreed and gave us that. We 'forward brought' which means we pay the 10% now and pay the remainder in 6 months (think you can pay remainder in 12m if you want)
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

OH determined to wait a bit longer...hope this doesn't end in tears.

I'm trying to get him to consider a ERG or at least a limit order but it'll take a week to convince him yet. Lets hope he's right

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.