Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is `Balga` WA really that bad ???

is `Balga` WA really that bad ???

Old Sep 12th 2006, 10:54 am
careful what you wish 4

dougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud of
Default is `Balga` WA really that bad ???

possibly moving family to perth next year and my mum - aus citizen of 30 years - insists that we don`t rent but save the money (don`t actually need to) and stay with her in Balga (wrong side of road to be in Mirraboka) for a year when we come out , quite like the look of the private anglican school very near her for the kids ....

Any way , although I have visited Balga before, I haven`t been there for 12 years, it seemed an ok sort of place 12 years ago but heres the but ........

Mum has been burgled three times in 30 years and doesn`t make to big a deal of this and also had a bikie gang rent the house next to her, but says the guys where always very nice and polite her...but `Balga` would appear to be a place that couldn`t be described as aspirational, indeed the woman in the Aus embassy in london face, physically changed colour when I mentioned thats where we might be staying... never really worked out whether this was look of shock or pity!

So do we stay for a week when we get off the plane, and then move very swiftly on, or stay for a year (taking our lives in our hands apparently) ... all thoughts gratfully appreciated ..
Old Sep 12th 2006, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: is `Balga` WA really that bad ???

Without being snotty, I wouldnt live in Balga.
Take a look at the house prices, if the place is cheaper than other suburbs, you might have an answer!
Old Sep 12th 2006, 11:57 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't comment on the area but I would say that just because she has been burgled 3 times doesn't make it bad. I lived in a very good area in Eastbourne and was burgled 3 times in about 5 years, one of them when I was in bed (didn't wake up but then again I also slept through the hurricane in 1987 when I lost most of the roof off another house!)
Old Sep 12th 2006, 12:00 pm
careful what you wish 4

dougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Without being snotty, I wouldnt live in Balga.
Take a look at the house prices, if the place is cheaper than other suburbs, you might have an answer!
not `up and coming` then ...
Old Sep 12th 2006, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

I was Bus driving for a 18 months and travelled through Balga 4 times a night 4 nights a week. I can tell you that it isn't the worst, that one goes to Koondoola but at night time there is a lot of nasty types who come out to play. Speak to people in Balga and they are positive, a lot of the rubbish is being moved out to other areas and I believe the area is on the up. Having said that, I drove the last Bus out of Mirrabooka every night through Balga, and one passenger (a security guard) asked me every night to stop outside his house as he hated having to walk just in case. If you want to be near the that area, Landsdale maybe a better option.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 12:25 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the area well, but I would suggest staying with your mum while you get settled in, for at least a few weeks. This will give you time to decide if the area is for you or not.

Tracey
Old Sep 12th 2006, 1:52 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

I have a friend in Balga, she likes it there and has lived in the subburb for the last 20 years or so. There are some really nice looking properties there, and yes some people will stick their nose up in the air but at the end of the day if its all you can afford so what! You could end up in an expensive subburb and have a shed full of hoons living next door, so have a good look at the place, drive through it in the evenings and see what you think.

I have said before on here its all down to what you are used to, if you have ever lived on a council estate with a busy road outside your front door you will probably find it quite refreshing.

Have a look at Padbury as well, its not gone up in price as much as the others.

Jenny
Old Sep 12th 2006, 2:20 pm
careful what you wish 4

Originally Posted by jensteve
I have a friend in Balga, she likes it there and has lived in the subburb for the last 20 years or so. There are some really nice looking properties there, and yes some people will stick their nose up in the air but at the end of the day if its all you can afford so what! You could end up in an expensive subburb and have a shed full of hoons living next door, so have a good look at the place, drive through it in the evenings and see what you think.

I have said before on here its all down to what you are used to, if you have ever lived on a council estate with a busy road outside your front door you will probably find it quite refreshing.

Have a look at Padbury as well, its not gone up in price as much as the others.

Jenny
perhaps I should explain, we should be in a position to be able to rent almost anywhere, but my mum is insisting that we stay with her, ie. money is not an issue
Old Sep 12th 2006, 2:37 pm
SCC
Just Joined

SCC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dougggy
possibly moving family to perth next year and my mum - aus citizen of 30 years - insists that we don`t rent but save the money (don`t actually need to) and stay with her in Balga (wrong side of road to be in Mirraboka) for a year when we come out , quite like the look of the private anglican school very near her for the kids ....

Any way , although I have visited Balga before, I haven`t been there for 12 years, it seemed an ok sort of place 12 years ago but heres the but ........

Mum has been burgled three times in 30 years and doesn`t make to big a deal of this and also had a bikie gang rent the house next to her, but says the guys where always very nice and polite her...but `Balga` would appear to be a place that couldn`t be described as aspirational, indeed the woman in the Aus embassy in london face, physically changed colour when I mentioned thats where we might be staying... never really worked out whether this was look of shock or pity!

So do we stay for a week when we get off the plane, and then move very swiftly on, or stay for a year (taking our lives in our hands apparently) ... all thoughts gratfully appreciated ..

Balga is a lot better than it was twelve years ago. It is 10 minutes from the city centre so it is now regarded as 'almost inner-city'. Twelve years ago there was no redevelopment. Now, there are three brand new townhouses where there used to one 1950s 3 bed 1 bath. Some of these would be considered 'executive' quality and are selling for around the half-million dollar mark.

A great majority of the Homeswest state housing has been refurbished and sold. The Homeswest tenants have be moved to the 'new' outer suburbs ie. way, way away.

Admittedly Balga does still have an image problem though.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 8:38 pm
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

It's getting better, generally because new scum are being pushed to developments further from the city.

But clearing Balga of most of it's shite is going to be a long, slow process. So I wouldn't plan living there for the next 10 years at least.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 8:54 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Get a rental on day 1.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 12:10 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dom the Pom
It's getting better, generally because new scum are being pushed to developments further from the city.

Out of curiosity, where are they being moved to ?
Old Sep 13th 2006, 12:11 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
Out of curiosity, where are they being moved to ?
Clarkson, Quinns Rocks, Merriwa.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 12:15 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

perhaps I should explain, we should be in a position to be able to rent almost anywhere, but my mum is insisting that we stay with her, ie. money is not an issue
OK, then if money's not a problem then don't live in Balga - go to Sorrento, Hillarys, City Beach etc...

I have a colleague from Balga, has lived there 20 years. He say's it's nowhere neear as bad as people make out. He is, however a big fella who can take care of himself and knows/is known by a lot of the locals.

I would endorse Padbury too for people for whom money might be a problem. Not a bad area at all, near the train, shops, not too far from the sea and not too expensive.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 1:21 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Clarkson, Quinns Rocks, Merriwa.

Thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.