Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

[Urgent] Anyone flown Qantas A380 Economy to LA ?

[Urgent] Anyone flown Qantas A380 Economy to LA ?

Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:59 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute
Default [Urgent] Anyone flown Qantas A380 Economy to LA ?

What was the seat pitch/width/leg like ? I have heard that it's no better than the new 777 being run by Virgin Australia on the SYD-LA leg ?

Did you manage to use the Power Sockets in the seat ?

I am about to book MEL-SYD-LA and LA-MEL on the A380 but have sworn I would never fly QANTAS again after the last time. I have found that they treat you like cattle.

The only reason I am considering it is that it's an A380, other wise I was going to try the Virgin Australia 777

Al
Old Jan 10th 2009, 12:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [Urgent] Anyone flown Qantas A380 Economy to LA ?

Originally Posted by bigAPE
What was the seat pitch/width/leg like ? I have heard that it's no better than the new 777 being run by Virgin Australia on the SYD-LA leg ?

I am about to book MEL-SYD-LA and LA-MEL on the A380 but have sworn I would never fly QANTAS again after the last time. I have found that they treat you like cattle.

The only reason I am considering it is that it's an A380, other wise I was going to try the Virgin Australia 777

Al
I honestly have no idea but with a choice of QANTAS and Virgin, Virgin would win every time, no question.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I honestly have no idea but with a choice of QANTAS and Virgin, Virgin would win every time, no question.
Agreed.

Plus, we flew to LA recently (Pete went Mel-LA-Mel and I went Mel-Syd-LA-Syd-Adelaide) and neither of us got on an A380. I was told that they're only flying the Mel-LA route at the moment. There's certainly no guarantee of an A380, from what I can gather.

Flights were with Qantas due to company booking and paying. On the way back mine was the only seat on the plane where the entertainment system was broken!!! Plus they do that thing where they don't feed you for 12 hours or something because it's supposed to be nighttime, even though your body thinks its lunchtime. I doubt they'd change that on the A380.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

I know they dont do the LA route but I'd rather fly on a 20 year old 747 with Singapore than a new a380 with Qantass (no typo) and I love the A380!

The power sockets work a treat, charged my laptop and iPod no worries!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 1:23 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thribble
Plus, we flew to LA recently (Pete went Mel-LA-Mel and I went Mel-Syd-LA-Syd-Adelaide) and neither of us got on an A380. I was told that they're only flying the Mel-LA route at the moment. There's certainly no guarantee of an A380, from what I can gather.
The Qantas A380 runs on the QF11 route from SYD-LA on alternate days, thus I'm on the Sunday rotation which is the A380 and not the 474-400. On the way back I am QF94 LA-MEL which is A380

For some reason they haven't quite got the uniform schedule worked out or they are doing it for a good reason. I have seats booked (or "requested") and the seat plan they have is for the A380 on both flights. I even got 71D on the way home !!

Total cost of MEL-SYD-LA then LA-MEL is A$1600, if I had left LA a few days later I could have got it for A$1100 !! Some very cheap flights out there at the moment. Virgin Australia's new 777 SYD-LA route is pretty much all ~A$1,100

Originally Posted by MrCro
I know they dont do the LA route but I'd rather fly on a 20 year old 747 with Singapore than a new a380 with Qantass (no typo) and I love the A380!
Why is that though. Qantas being wankers not withstanding. What specifically didn't you like about the Qantas A380

Originally Posted by MrCro
The power sockets work a treat, charged my laptop and iPod no worries!
Did you use an Australian Plug ? or was it American ?

Last edited by bigAPE; Jan 10th 2009 at 1:25 am.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about

Try www.seatguru.com to find the best seats on any plane.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

I have flown LA - SYD with Qantas on the A380. I did not notice any real difference in leg room, cabin crew were as rude as ever and the food was dire. Entertainment was good but given the choice I'd go with Virgin.

Have a good trip!
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by bigAPE

Al
Why would you even think of flying with Qantas they are just like BA crap.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:00 am
No Clean Feed

Originally Posted by billymacker
Guys I have flown Qantas, Virgin, BA, Malaysian, SIA, etc many times and I totally agree with you.

After my last SYD-LA flight on Qantas last year I swore I would never fly with them again, but the A380 suckered me in. My choice was pretty much Qantas or Virgin and I was led to believe that the A380 has more legroom than the Virgin 777 (I'm 6'3" and not small). Plus, Virgin only fly SYD-LA and I managed to get the LA-MEL direct on the return leg cutting off 2-3 hours.

I did get the famous 71D (the non-exit row isle seat in economy without the seat in front) on the LA-MEL A380 leg back, so hopefully I will have tons of leg room on that one.

Al
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:02 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billymacker
There isn't exactly much choice if you want to fly non-stop Aus to the US. Qantas, Virgin & United is your lot I think....with Delta starting up soon I believe.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:59 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Qantas maybe crap, but united are much worse, you don't even get a personal TV.

Originally Posted by bcworld
There isn't exactly much choice if you want to fly non-stop Aus to the US. Qantas, Virgin & United is your lot I think....with Delta starting up soon I believe.