[Melbourne] Rent crisis forces urgent action

[Melbourne] Rent crisis forces urgent action

Old Feb 17th 2008, 3:24 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default [Melbourne] Rent crisis forces urgent action

From todays Age paper...
Full article at :
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...e#contentSwap1

THE State Government has announced new fast-track home building rules as Melbourne rents jump 12.7% in just 12 months.
The rent rise is more than double the previous year's increase and almost three times the average annual increase over the past eight years.

Main points...
■Rents across Melbourne up 12.7% in 12 months
■Inner Melbourne up 13.3% to $340 per week
■Southern Melbourne up 13.2% to $300 per week
■North-eastern Melbourne up 13% to $260 per week
■Median three-bed house rent across Melbourne up 14.9% to $260 per week
■Vacancy rate for Melbourne of 1.4% compared with 3.6% for 2000-05

Last edited by @boy; Feb 17th 2008 at 3:27 am.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: [Melbourne] Rent crisis forces urgent action

Melbourne looks cheap compared to what I'm paying.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 4:13 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
I was just thinking that myself.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:30 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
Certainly not cheap in the Bayside area. A decent 4 bed will cost you about $900 plus a week -
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Certainly not cheap in the Bayside area. A decent 4 bed will cost you about $900 plus a week -
We have a brand new 4 bedroom house, 10 mins from beach for $360 per week. And were in the Bayside "area".
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:13 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gidxg03
We have a brand new 4 bedroom house, 10 mins from beach for $360 per week. And were in the Bayside "area".

Bayside Melbourne? Whereabouts are you? I do corporate relocation work and have yet to find a decent 4 bedroom for that sort of money. In fact could only just probably get a 2 bedroom unit.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Bayside Melbourne? Whereabouts are you? I do corporate relocation work and have yet to find a decent 4 bedroom for that sort of money. In fact could only just probably get a 2 bedroom unit.
Sorry Due to my short time in Oz I had mistaken "bayside" to be anywhere near the coast. A quick google search corrected me. Were in Langwarrin.

Sorry again
Old Feb 18th 2008, 7:22 am

Sorry Due to my short time in Oz I had mistaken "bayside" to be anywhere near the coast. A quick google search corrected me. Were in Langwarrin.

Sorry again
Which is essentially Frankston (or just 6k inland from it)
And yes, approx 1,500 rent p.m would be acceptable for a place in Frankston, and almost 60km from the Melbourne CBD.

The point of the original post was more to highlight the percentage increase in rents over the last 21 months and not so much the absolute values.

Last edited by @boy; Feb 18th 2008 at 7:55 am.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by @boy
Which is essentially Frankston (or just 6k inland from it)
And yes, approx 1,100 rent p.m would be acceptable for a place in Frankston, and almost 60km from the Melbourne CBD.

The point of the original post was more to highlight the percentage increase in rents over the last 21 months and not so much the absolute values.
No it's not in Frankston. It's a suburb next to Frankston without all the trouble Frankston has.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 7:30 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Hold up a sec mate. Langwarrin is not "essentially Frankston", any more than Mount Eliza or Mornington are "essentially Frankston". David is absolutely right when he says

No it's not in Frankston. It's a suburn next to Frankston without all the hastles Frankston has.
and its not 60ks from the CBD. It's 45. It's about the best value property by the sea within commuting distance of the CBD that is available in Melbourne, if not Eastern Australia.

Buzzy
Old Feb 18th 2008, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hold up a sec mate. Langwarrin is not "essentially Frankston", any more than Mount Eliza or Mornington are "essentially Frankston". David is absolutely right when he says

and its not 60ks from the CBD. It's 45.

Buzzy

That comment was certainly not intended to rankle anyone (apologies if it has). I know that a lot of people on this forum are aware of the general location of Frankston and its distance from Melbourne CBD, so it was the handiest reference I could use as soon as I hear Langwarrin mentioned (I fly at various sites on the peninsula regularly, so I know the area pretty well)

I guess if you take the shortest possible drive from Langwarrin to the CBD (via the Nepean), it would be 50k (but certainly not a k less, surely ?).

Last edited by @boy; Feb 18th 2008 at 7:46 am.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by @boy
That comment was certainly not intended to rankle anyone (apologies if it has).
No worries
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

and its not 60ks from the CBD. It's 45. It's about the best value property by the sea within commuting distance of the CBD that is available in Melbourne, if not Eastern Australia.

Buzzy
As fellow Langwarrin (ees?) are we gonna have that beer sometime soon Simon