Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

[B]Driving Licence and Demerit Points[/B]

[B]Driving Licence and Demerit Points[/B]

Old Mar 24th 2005, 3:42 am
Just Joined

Neil&Di is on a distinguished road
Default Driving Licence and Demerit Points

My husband knows he got caught speeding by a camera about two weeks ago and we were waiting for the fine to come through. This morning an infringement notice arrived with $150 fine $12 enforcement fees and 6 demerit points <yikes> which we thought was it, however, when we read further we noticed that it was actually a Final Demand notice for an offence committed in January (this being the first we've heard about it although we were between addresses at the time so not surprising). He only applied for his Aussie driving licence last week which was issued with no demerit points on it - how could that be? Also, how long do these points stay on your licence for before they are considered 'spent'? He covers over a 1000km per week and his licence is crucial for his job. don't want a sermon on sticking to the speed limit in future just a bit of advice!
Di

Last edited by Neil&Di; Mar 24th 2005 at 3:56 am.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 4:01 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: [B]Driving Licence and Demerit Points[/B]

Originally Posted by Neil&Di
My husband knows he got caught speeding by a camera about two weeks ago and we were waiting for the fine to come through. This morning an infringement notice arrived with $150 fine $12 enforcement fees and 6 demerit points <yikes> which we thought was it, however, when we read further we noticed that it was actually a Final Demand notice for an offence committed in January (this being the first we've heard about it although we were between addresses at the time so not surprising). He only applied for his Aussie driving licence last week which was issued with no demerit points on it - how could that be? Also, how long do these points stay on your licence for before they are considered 'spent'? He covers over a 1000km per week and his licence is crucial for his job. don't want a sermon on sticking to the speed limit in future just a bit of advice!
Di
Anything like here, they can put points on your new licence even though the offences was before you got your new Aus licence. My hubby ran up max points before he had a QLD licence, driving on Brit licence ( not put onto his Brit licence, they can't touch that , but it's all there in the computers) - he was sent a letter telling him he couldn't apply for a QLD licence until a year later. Not that it bothered him, just carried on driving on the Brit licence.

I just think that they've caught up with you that's all - it is all on the computer. You must have showed them your Brit licence to get the Au one. If you have had speeding before - you have given them your Brit licence numbers to pay the fine - only now they just have caught up with you that's all

a bloke in work here who went over the limit of points - a ban job , argued his case in court not to ban him as it was crucial for him to keep his job ( and his was for drink driving!, and taking a swing at the police man ). He is on probation still got his licence - but has got to stay squeaky clean - He can only drive during his hours of work (my opinion he should have been banned - he's done it too many times, always drives when P8ssed - I dislike drink drivers)

If your hubby gets caught speeding again ( by a camera), and your licence is clean, no points, just say you were driving, when you get the letter for the fine etc - if you are willing to accept the points on your licence that is.

There are ways around things.

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 24th 2005 at 4:31 am.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 7:17 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ceri
If your hubby gets caught speeding again ( by a camera), and your licence is clean, no points, just say you were driving, when you get the letter for the fine etc - if you are willing to accept the points on your licence that is.

There are ways around things.
I tried this once, we filled in the letter and sent it back with my partners details on it (as I had already had 3 points) about a week later they sent it back saying weve checked the photo and its a bloke driving :scared: we just said we must of made a mistake as to who we thought was driving at that time...
I got the 3 points added to my Brit license.

6 months later when I applied for the WA one,they issued it and all the 6 points appeared on it.....bloody computers..
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

RogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura about

Are endorsements carried on to the Oz licence from a UK licence when you transfer?
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:29 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RogerUK
Are endorsements carried on to the Oz licence from a UK licence when you transfer?
No. Different nation states - they couldn't care less how many points are on your UK licence.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

hi thanks for the replies - does anyone know how long the demerits stay on your licence for before they are spent?
di
Old Mar 26th 2005, 6:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

hi thanks for the replies - does anyone know how long the demerits stay on your licence for before they are spent?
di
I suggest you look on the website of the licencing authority for your stae/territory of residence.

Jeremy
Old Mar 26th 2005, 6:36 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

di
Used to be 3 years for each offence. May have changed since though.
Jim
Old Mar 27th 2005, 1:49 am
Just Joined

for anyone interested, i have checked the website as suggested and the points do stay on your licence for 3 years. i have a further question which i couldn't find answered on the website and that is, if you reach the maximum points and have a demerit suspension of 3 months, does that then count as the points being spent? in other words does 3 months of no driving equal 3 years of points on licence so once you've not driven for 3 months you're back to no points on your licence? i'm concerned that if we have only just received our first notification 3 months after the offence that there are more in the system that we don't know about and we're going to suddenly find ourselves with a suspension