Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

*Urgent* - re US Airways Dividend Miles

*Urgent* - re US Airways Dividend Miles

Old Nov 13th 2013, 10:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation *Urgent* - re US Airways Dividend Miles

Hi everyone, I know this should go in bcworld's thread but my head's in bits and I need some help urgently.

We had a call from Liverpool UK this morning, my husband's brother has deteriorated and is dying. I need to get Bill to the UK quickly with my US airways dividend miles. Seached availability and there are first class seats available on Emirates, but when I rang the US airways direct reservations line she said that they are not in One World - I was sure that they are and asked her to check, she did and came back and confirmed they're not.

Could anyone advise if US Airways are in the One World alliance? I could start searching for Star Alliance flights but the Emirates ones were perfect, only one stop over in Dubai and he would be driven to Liverpool from Manchester, which would help him right now. Thanks so much,
Old Nov 13th 2013, 10:25 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *Urgent* - re US Airways Dividend Miles

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi everyone, I know this should go in bcworld's thread but my head's in bits and I need some help urgently.

We had a call from Liverpool UK this morning, my husband's brother has deteriorated and is dying. I need to get Bill to the UK quickly with my US airways dividend miles. Seached availability and there are first class seats available on Emirates, but when I rang the US airways direct reservations line she said that they are not in One World - I was sure that they are and asked her to check, she did and came back and confirmed they're not.

Could anyone advise if US Airways are in the One World alliance? I could start searching for Star Alliance flights but the Emirates ones were perfect, only one stop over in Dubai and he would be driven to Liverpool from Manchester, which would help him right now. Thanks so much,
Rang again and got someone else, who said that the US Airways alliance with One World has only just been cleared by the Justice Department, and will probably come into effect in the New Year???? I'd better search Star Alliance, damn
Old Nov 13th 2013, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

sorry to hear of your circumstances, pretty shitty situation.

redemption on Emirates would not be applicable as they're not a member of *Alliance nor oneworld.

they're only an affiliate of Qantas, not a member of either alliance.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 12:48 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by phat-dave
sorry to hear of your circumstances, pretty shitty situation.

redemption on Emirates would not be applicable as they're not a member of *Alliance nor oneworld.

they're only an affiliate of Qantas, not a member of either alliance.
Thanks for replying dave - I thought I'd read somewhere on bcworld's thread that someone had flown Emirates on their dividend miles but I must have got confused, which is like me. Trying to get the soonest star alliance flights, can get Mon to BKK but a 10 hour layover before flight to Manchester via Copenhagen. Woulnd't normally be a problem but hubby doesn't need multiple stopovers and long layovers just now. Will keep trying thanks again x
Old Nov 14th 2013, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

if timing is of the essence dont discount paying your way PER > SIN/BKK/NRT/PVG (eg: *A hubs) and then searching those hubs into the UK.

probably won't be the most cost effective though.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 1:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

US Airways are not in oneworld.
http://www.oneworld.com/member-airli...8111BA7FB2FC52

There is a merger proposal between US Airways and American Airlines (oneworld). IF this completes, the new airline will be called American Airlines and will be part of oneworld.
http://newamericanarriving.com/custo...onal-benefits/

In the meantime, US Airways remains a member of Star Alliance.
http://www.staralliance.com/en/
Old Nov 14th 2013, 5:07 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by JAJ
US Airways are not in oneworld.
http://www.oneworld.com/member-airli...8111BA7FB2FC52

There is a merger proposal between US Airways and American Airlines (oneworld). IF this completes, the new airline will be called American Airlines and will be part of oneworld.
http://newamericanarriving.com/custo...onal-benefits/

In the meantime, US Airways remains a member of Star Alliance.
http://www.staralliance.com/en/
Thanks Dave and JAJ, and Sue, thank you too xx

Third time lucky, rang reservations and got a great guy - told him the (Star Alliance) airlines and flight numbers I wanted and he was chuffed that he didn't have to go looking, in fact he said 'I love you already' Going Perth - Bangkok - Copenhagen with Thai, then Copenhagen - Manchester with SK. Leave Perth Monday morning, get into Manchester Tuesday morning. I hope it's soon enough, couldn't get anything before then.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Third time lucky, rang reservations and got a great guy - told him the (Star Alliance) airlines and flight numbers I wanted and he was chuffed that he didn't have to go looking, in fact he said 'I love you already' Going Perth - Bangkok - Copenhagen with Thai, then Copenhagen - Manchester with SK. Leave Perth Monday morning, get into Manchester Tuesday morning. I hope it's soon enough, couldn't get anything before then.
Fingers crossed your husband gets there in time.Not a pleasant situation to be in.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 11:43 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Fingers crossed your husband gets there in time.Not a pleasant situation to be in.
Thanks irish
Old Nov 19th 2013, 10:15 pm
Concierge

Thanks irish
Update - Bill arrived in Liverpool yesterday and his brother was so happy to see him. He has refused to be transferred to a hospice so is going home today.

I'll put a review of the flights on bcworld's thread. Thanks for the assistance and support, much appreciated
Old Nov 19th 2013, 10:25 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Update - Bill arrived in Liverpool yesterday and his brother was so happy to see him. He has refused to be transferred to a hospice so is going home today.

I'll put a review of the flights on bcworld's thread. Thanks for the assistance and support, much appreciated
Sorry spouse, I didn't see this thread until now. Glad it all worked out in the end.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 10:43 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by bcworld
Sorry spouse, I didn't see this thread until now. Glad it all worked out in the end.
Cheers bc
Old Nov 21st 2013, 11:26 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your bad news.

Can I ask if the cost were worth joining US Dividend miles?

Thanks
Neil.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 11:41 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Sorry to hear your bad news.

Can I ask if the cost were worth joining US Dividend miles?

Thanks
Neil.
Hi Neil, yes it was well worth it. It cost around AU$3,100 for the 120,000 dividend miles, on the 100% bonus thing. Taxes (which you pay via credit card when booking your flights by phone with US Airways) were US$480.

So around AU3,600 for return business, Perth - UK - Perth. We used to fly Emirates, which are now running at around AU$7,700. That got very expensive, very quickly!

You'll find heaps of info on bcworld's thread.