Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

***Moving to Perth 2009?***

***Moving to Perth 2009?***

Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future
Default Re: ***Moving to Perth 2009?***

'you won't get employment' thats a harsh blanket statement isn't it?

'no one is hiring' So what your saying is that there are absolutly no jobs whatsoever being advertised at all, anywhere for any kind of job in Perth.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

csutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nice

Hi
Me (37), OH (37), DD (7), DS (4), hoping to move this year all depends on visa and house sale. Already have a job in RPH (available from Oct. '09), OH is a bit worried about not getting employment, he said he is happy to be a HH I am not so sure.
We are going next month for a visit so we will be actively looking for jobs for him.
I can't wait to see for myself what it is really like there.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

ernie24 is an unknown quantity at this point

My other half and I are moving in November. Living in Safety Bay with OH's parents then heading off for some travelling before coming back to reality with a bump and getting a job.

Me 29 OH 40
Old Mar 27th 2009, 6:13 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TandC23
'you won't get employment' thats a harsh blanket statement isn't it?

'no one is hiring' So what your saying is that there are absolutly no jobs whatsoever being advertised at all, anywhere for any kind of job in Perth.
Blunt but accurate.

Nothing personal but the job situation has changed dramatically in the last 2 weeks in Aus.

Most bars and cafes getting 20-30 applications a day. No Labor work. No professional appointments there is absolutely nothing here!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Weebie
Blunt but accurate.

Nothing personal but the job situation has changed dramatically in the last 2 weeks in Aus.

Most bars and cafes getting 20-30 applications a day. No Labor work. No professional appointments there is absolutely nothing here!
So what line of work have you be applying for? Are you working at the moment? I don't understand why you say there is no work here, when browsing jobs sites there are job adverts. I understand that job competition is higher, but why say 'No one is hiring' when blantantly someone is somewhere if jobs are being advertised!!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

trickytrees is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

We are looking to move to Perth by the end of 2009. Got all the visa's etc. Starting to do the research so any suggestions are more than welcome.

We are both primary school teachers with a 7 month baby. From the looks of it getting a teaching job is a nightmare!!! maybe we need to look into it more.

still getting our heads around which suburbs would be good to live in without bankrupting us in a few months. any suggestions?

cheers
Old Mar 27th 2009, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Kathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to all

Originally Posted by verystormy
Thought i would throw in my pennys worth. We moved to Sydney las May and last October had to relocate to Perth due to my job and we now live south of Mandurah and i work in the city, so thought i would give some observations, as funny enough we were discussing the issue of "why perth" between staff in the office this morning who are a mix of locals born and bread, some from Sydney and Melbourne and a few expats.
The concensus is this.
1) Dont come if you think housing is cheap - it is VERY expensive to live in a decent house in a decent area.
2) Cost of living is expensive, much more so than Sydney
3) If you like arts and culture - then boy you are going to suffer
4) The summer climate is hot and we love that and havent been in WA for winter yet, but gather its pretty wet and miserable - so your not escaping
5) Its safe - lol. I am from a rough town in the NE of england and a ex squadie, and i wouldnt go out in Perth on a night - think glasgow in the 80's with a good sprinkling of biker gangs
6) It is known in Oz as Dullsville - see 2 and 5
7) There arent loads of jobs - they are falling through the flaw, especially in the mining sector
8) Restraunts are dire unless you get a long way from the city
9) The i have seen it said it is a dry heat, then please explain why i havent been able to sleep 2 night due to the humidity
10) It is VERY conservative
11) I have heard the people are supposed to be "friendly" - myth, Sydney was much more friendly
12 It is remote - forget them cheap flight to europe and a weekend away - its a long flight just to get to Syndey

However, as i said, we dont live in the city and i wouldnt do so no matter what i am paid. We do love being next to a beach and having a pool at home and watching roos hop around, so only having to work there, its ok. Though the descriptions of the winter to come may make that view change.
A lot of you may disagree with this, but unless you have been for a while (i dont mean 2 weeks holiday - heck i have had a couple of weeks in a war zone and thought it was nice), then do some real research and ask what you want and why you want to move to the other side of the world
Hi

I lived in Perth for 5 years and can't say I encountered wet and miserable Winters. Yes, when it rained it really threw it down, but then the next minute the sky was blue again and the sun was shining. It doesn't drizzle like in the UK.

Kathryn
Old Mar 28th 2009, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

This teaching jobs thing is driving me mad. One minute there is a huge shortage of teachers in WA and the next minute there are too many! I thought primary teachers were in demand, so if that were the case Tricktree should not have too much of a problem. Find it hard to believe that the job situation can suddenly change so much over night!
Old Mar 28th 2009, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
This teaching jobs thing is driving me mad. One minute there is a huge shortage of teachers in WA and the next minute there are too many! I thought primary teachers were in demand, so if that were the case Tricktree should not have too much of a problem. Find it hard to believe that the job situation can suddenly change so much over night!
Fully agree with post. But is something those who are waiting have to come to terms with. I know some are looking at other routes, as don't want to sit around waiting for something to happen. Was nice having a date, almost booked flights, now just waiting for the slightest of hints as to what is going to happen. Least the ed authority said they're still committed to employ those who were given a date and a few are going over in a June/July
Old Mar 28th 2009, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Best of luck Australia_bound and to the rest of you going this year. Ps you are leaving a beautiful place, N Yorks is tops!
Old Mar 28th 2009, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
Best of luck Australia_bound and to the rest of you going this year. Ps you are leaving a beautiful place, N Yorks is tops!
Yes it's a wonderful place, if it goes belly up in Aus we'll be back lol.

Wish I could honestly say it'd only be the rest of the year but I do suspect it'll be at least July next year....
Old Apr 14th 2009, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

hannah1202 is a jewel in the roughhannah1202 is a jewel in the roughhannah1202 is a jewel in the roughhannah1202 is a jewel in the rough

hi all me (hannah 29) and my son (zack 10) are moving to perth in july. I have a job at the hospital in nedlands and no idea where we will live yet, depends on rental prices and schools! but im sure we will figure it out x
Old Apr 15th 2009, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

kevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by hannah1202
hi all me (hannah 29) and my son (zack 10) are moving to perth in july. I have a job at the hospital in nedlands and no idea where we will live yet, depends on rental prices and schools! but im sure we will figure it out x
hi there hannah

welcome to BE im sure you will find some help on here and good luck with the search xxx
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Dorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really nice

Hi

Hopefully myself (46) and my wife (older but only just) will be moving out in May. 457 pending. Looking at Fremantle.

Question for those in Perth already: Some of the rentals we are looking at are coming down in rates - is this common or is it just on a few properties?

Will keep you updated and look forward to meeting some of you.

A
Old Apr 17th 2009, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorutland
Hi

Hopefully myself (46) and my wife (older but only just) will be moving out in May. 457 pending. Looking at Fremantle.

Question for those in Perth already: Some of the rentals we are looking at are coming down in rates - is this common or is it just on a few properties?

Will keep you updated and look forward to meeting some of you.

A
Rents are becoming a little softer and should continue to decline.Same old thing a lot of landlords,etc do not want to face the new reality and try and maintain unrealistic prices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.