Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

*** 2019 UK Personal Tax Returns - Filing Deadline Imminent! ***

*** 2019 UK Personal Tax Returns - Filing Deadline Imminent! ***

Old Jan 1st 2020, 6:14 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default *** 2019 UK Personal Tax Returns - Filing Deadline Imminent! ***

A reminder that HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) must receive your 2019 personal UK tax return and any money you owe in respect of the year to the 5th of April 2019 by the 31st of January 2020.

If you have been issued with a Notice to File a 2019 UK tax return the return must be completed and lodged if a late filing penalty is to be avoided.

Penalties start at £100 if your tax return is received by HMRC a day late. An additional daily penalty at the rate of £10 per day is added if the tax return remains outstanding more than 3 months after the due date (with a maximum daily penalty of £900), with additional penalties arising if the tax return remains outstanding more than 6 months after the due date for filing.

These penalties apply even if there is no tax to pay.

If a balance of tax is payable for the 2018/19 UK tax year and has not been paid by the end of January 2020 interest will start to accrue.

Best regards.
Old Jan 4th 2020, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: *** 2019 UK Personal Tax Returns - Filing Deadline Imminent! ***

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
These penalties apply even if there is no tax to pay.

Best regards.
I've never filled in a UK tax return since I left in 92 and up until 10 years ago I had significant shares but the dividends and capital gains never exceeded my tax free allowance. I now just have a Barclays current a/c in the UK.

The UK tax office know about me because I had to inform them of my UK Company pension that is paid to me in Oz to stop them taxing me on the pension because I pay tax on it in Oz. They never asked about my non existent tax returns since 92.

Once this was set up they refunded me the tax they had deducted from my UK pension. I now receive the pension tax free in Oz.
Old Jan 5th 2020, 10:18 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *** 2019 UK Personal Tax Returns - Filing Deadline Imminent! ***

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
I've never filled in a UK tax return since I left in 92 and up until 10 years ago I had significant shares but the dividends and capital gains never exceeded my tax free allowance. I now just have a Barclays current a/c in the UK.

The UK tax office know about me because I had to inform them of my UK Company pension that is paid to me in Oz to stop them taxing me on the pension because I pay tax on it in Oz. They never asked about my non existent tax returns since 92.

Once this was set up they refunded me the tax they had deducted from my UK pension. I now receive the pension tax free in Oz.
https://www.gov.uk/check-if-you-need-tax-return

See the questionnaire at this link.

It is probable you don't have a need to submit a UK tax return.

Best regards.