Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

*****Is it me??????*****

Wikiposts

*****Is it me??????*****

Old Nov 2nd 2003, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

Hi all,

A BIG "Thank you" to everyone who's helped put it all into perspective.

I loved my trip and realised that although I want to move out there, I will always "miss" certain things like Britains historical buildings, castles etc which Aus obviously is lacking in.
What I won't miss is the rude, aggresive drivers this country has in abundance. This is one big thing I loved about it out there near Melbourne. Even in the city at rush hour, people mainly just sit in their lane and wait patently.
Mind-set: people are soooooooo much more positive out there and hope it rubs off onto me. It's not till you get home and realise there are so many miserable faces around, they really do look happier people than us.
Visited some fantastic show home in Packenham, Berwick, Narre Warren and Cranbourne. Will try to post some digi pics of them on this thread soon.

thanks again everyone,

65KK
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

ArthurMoore is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - all you guys in Oz - do you have idiots who let fireworks off all through the night in residential suburbs?
It is a few days before Nov 5th, so Saturday night the display two doors away started at midnight and finished at 0015. Then intermittent bangers until 0430.
Don't get me wrong - I like a big firework display but not every night of the week and not in the middle of the night.

Also - latest from the BBC, if you are not sure whether to emigrate. The NHS is now proposing putting up tents outside accident and emergency units. There is no space inside and the ambulances are tied up with patients they cannot offload - hence the tent proposal, so that they can park people until they can be treated (or die?). English public services are now worse than in much of the, so called, third world. Cannot wait to escape.
Art
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck in your move 65m.

No two people will ever have the same experience when they emigrate and what they obtain from their new life. If you feel it is the right thing to do, then go for it.

Everyone has things they love and hate about their new home in Oz, me included. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what you read on here, your experience will be your own, and although you can prepare in practical terms, most things that influence your daily living cannot be pre-determined (where you live, who your neighbours are, who you work for, what your colleagues are like, etc etc) - it's what you make it.

Nobody wants to read negative things but the fact is, not everything in Australia is tip-top and tickety-boo. It's not the UK, but it's also not utopia.

What are the things that worry you about moving there, from what you've read on here?
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 10:10 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by booboo
Hi 65 Million

My family and I have chosen Narre Warren and the Berwick areas as our top choices for settling in Aus.

Please tell all about your stay there and your impressions and experiences. It would be good info and would be quite helpful.

cheers
booboo
Just an aside. My parents regularly send us tapes from Oz and on the latest offering was a recent episode of Hot Auctions (with Michael Caton). One property being auctioned was a lovely farmlet in the Narre Warren area which had been a small winery. There was a smart 4 or 5 bedroomed brick veneer home with about 10 acres, much of it under vines, and outbuildings. Went for $650,000 (about £270,000). Nice part of the world.

TennisOz

P.S. Wait for the TV is c**p in Oz, how could anyone watch any of their programs brigade

Old Nov 2nd 2003, 10:49 pm
Badge

Yeah I love fireworks but don't see the point in kids letting off bangers in the streets- theres nothing to watch after all.

I find myself diving for cover all the time. Get funny looks from people.

This subject came up at a party - people couldn't believe that you couldn't buy as a member of the public in Australia - why not just let the professionals handle it?

Badge

Old Nov 2nd 2003, 11:39 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

"Even in the city at rush hour, people mainly just sit in their lane and wait patently."

Must be all the extra time that they have to think up those original ideas.