Reload this Page >

$900 dollars from the government

$900 dollars from the government

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:28 am
Just Joined

visawhen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default $900 dollars from the government

hey all,

Im not sure if this is the right forum...but i have a question and hope someone can help.

Basically I was working last year from jan till feb this year.. im about to start another job this week... I was first on a student visa last year till i got my bridging visa in July when i applied for PR. I have had my PR since feb this year.... I just wanted to know if i am eligible for the $900 dollars from the government.. as I did pay tax the whole time i was working...

thanks hope someone can help
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: $900 dollars from the government

If you were a tax resident for the tax year you are eligible.

I suggest you look at the ATO website there is a wealth of information there.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:53 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by visawhen
hey all,

Im not sure if this is the right forum...but i have a question and hope someone can help.

Basically I was working last year from jan till feb this year.. im about to start another job this week... I was first on a student visa last year till i got my bridging visa in July when i applied for PR. I have had my PR since feb this year.... I just wanted to know if i am eligible for the $900 dollars from the government.. as I did pay tax the whole time i was working...

If you paid tax in 2007/08, as resident for Australian Tax purposes, and didn't claim it ALL back, then you should be due $900, if your taxable income was under $80,000. Less if between $80-100k

http://www.britzinoz.com/900dollars.htm

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Demented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really nice

Originally Posted by visawhen
hey all,

The wife has already spent her $900 and has plans for mine, need to buy that kite surfing equipment before she gets her hands on it.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:05 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Demented Ferret
The wife has already spent her $900 and has plans for mine, need to buy that kite surfing equipment before she gets her hands on it.
Any idea on how the court case is going to go to have these Tax payments stopped ?

The Federal Government's $900 bonus to taxpayers could be in question after the High Court agreed to hear a challenge to the legality of the payment.
The case is set down to be heard for two days from March 30.

The Australian Taxation Office has told the High Court that if it is to stop printing cheques it needs to be told by the close of business on April 2

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Demented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Any idea on how the court case is going to go to have these Tax payments stopped ?
Will have to figure out who's body is worth selling to get the cash back.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Any idea when we will get this money?

Keel
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

krestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant future

Called ATO they advised from 6th April if you filed your tax return before March 23 09. IF you file your tax return for last year after March 23 you will get later in year.

So look forward to April 6th like me and hope it gets to you on that day or thereabouts like me!!!
Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

My good lady earned $2317 and paid $89 tax in the last tax year will she qualify for the $900 payment?

Keel
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keel
My good lady earned $2317 and paid $89 tax in the last tax year will she qualify for the $900 payment?

Keel
If she submitted a tax return, then yes!
Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:53 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
If she submitted a tax return, then yes!
No she would not as she got all her tax back, she would have had to earn I think over 11Ks to be eligible for the $900 payment.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:11 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by teza
No she would not as she got all her tax back, she would have had to earn I think over 11Ks to be eligible for the $900 payment.
I agree with that.

The first $6,000 of all income is not taxed, and the "Low Income Tax Offset" means that most earners under $11,000 will have paid no tax.

Unless of course she is non resident for tax purposes...... (in which case she didn't pay enough tax)

That would be interesting, and also not fair to someone who IS tax resident, earned the same, but didn't pay $89 in tax, and lost out on the $900...

Another un-intended loophole maybe ?

Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry! My interpretation was that anyone who earned below the thresholds that they set & had submitted a tax return, would get the payment. I have not seen anywhere that a minimum earnings was required
Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:50 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry! My interpretation was that anyone who earned below the thresholds that they set & had submitted a tax return, would get the payment. I have not seen anywhere that a minimum earnings was required
You have to have been a net payer of tax. So as long as the ATO didn't hand back every cent of tax you paid then you are eligible, but simply having had some income is not enough.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:51 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

You need to have PAID TAX in the 2007/08 tax year to be eligible. Having had tax removed from your pay is not sufficent. The effect of this is that there is a minimum earnings before you would pay tax. The minimum earnings before youpay tax is absed onthe $6000 tax free amount and the low income tax offset. The impact of both of these is that if you earn less than about $11,000 you are not eligible to pay tax in that year.

It is entirely possible to have actually paid tax, but not have been eligible to pay tax. The low income tax offset can only be applied after the end of the tax year and would result in a tax refund if you had actually paid tax but had an income under $11,000.

Therefore anyone earning under $11,000, who did actually pay tax, but is eligible fro a FULL tax refund will not be considered to have paid tax in 2007/08 and thus not be eligible for the $900.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.