$80000 a year needed

$80000 a year needed

Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:48 am
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: $80000 a year needed

Originally Posted by walla1
That sums it up pretty well

I would like to add something thou. When I joined this forum I joined to get people's experiences of Oz, lifestyle, finance etc etc.

I got some great advice from people in Oz to give me a further flavour of the place before I migrated. Basically I took on board everything they told me and I believed them and when I got here I found them to be right.

What's annoying me about this debate is that us migrants are giving people advice to make their life easier and better planned for when they arrive here. Some people in the UK are disagreeing with us even thou we have the experiences of living here........

We are not lying here, not trying to put people off, why should we, it's a great place to live? We are just giving facts to people, to try and help people out

Some of us find it cheaper, some the same and some more expensive depending where we live, swings and roundbouts, as Hevs said
I can't be bothered !
Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:54 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stephenwhite68
I can't be bothered !
you'll be bothered when you get here
Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:55 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JerrySpringer
don't mean to be rude but it's not worth much is it!! You're talking about one person who's opinion is that it's cheaper to live in Australia. The rest of don't know her circumstances - e.g. she could be living in the middle of London now, and comparing it to somewhere that is cheap by Australian standards such as rural SA. Less extreme, London v an outer suburb of Melbourne. She's hardly comparing it Carlisle to inner Sydney...is she?? Everyone has an Aussie friend who thinks the UK is expensive. Everyone has an Aussie friend who thinks the UK is London.

Some things are cheaper, some things are more expensive, the general consensus from the Poms in Oz is that it's swings and roundabouts. And as Hevs says, people will find out when they get here.

lol

I really like this thread now! Do you think we could all go on to Question Time with this debate - it really is top notch!

Jerry - I couldn't agree more with you - my point wasn't worth much in one sense but on another it sums up what this thread has become - pointless rambling!!!

Everyone who has experienced the Oz way of life (and for those that haven't) are recounting personal situations. I just happened to recount a friend's personal situation because it makes this thread even more inane.

Grayling - you are to be congratulated on starting the most interesting thread on here (well, at least since I joined a few weeks ago!!).

As a newish member - I hope people don't take all this banter to heart? I'm sure most people appreciate that the majority of posts are just people playing devil's advocate?!

Rob
Old Jan 19th 2005, 10:04 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by walla1
you'll be bothered when you get here
This thread has been interesting - it really has. From somebody who hasn't moved yet (although 10 minutes ago I was given a moving date for my house sale - get in!!) it has proved food for thought (mainly Tesco's bread, lollo rosso lettuce, etc ).

My wife and I have re-evaluated our personal situation and whilst I think we did previously have a good understanding of day-to-day costs we'll certainly get to Oz with a much more cautious approach than had we not read this thread.

Thank you for a very entertaining couple of days reading the thread!!

Rob
Old Jan 19th 2005, 10:12 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

As a newish member - I hope people don't take all this banter to heart? I'm sure most people appreciate that the majority of posts are just people playing devil's advocate?!

Rob [/QUOTE]

threads aren't taken to heart usually
Old Jan 19th 2005, 10:18 am
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hevs
Badge mate, you missed my point entirely.

People are saying how much BETTER off they will be here in Aus because they have no mortgage. The fact is that day to day living is as dear, if anything dearer. FACT.

Out off all the things i listed the only thing cheaper is my water rates, now they would take some beating

Theres also the extras here that we don't pay for in the UK such as school fees, medicare etc.

Now you cannot accuse me of being a winger and if you do i'll be down to sort you out later:lecture: BUT all i am doing is pointing out that once you are earning an AVERAGE Aussie wage things seem more expensive. You also cannot accuse me of living friviolously cos you know a day out for me is a trip to Bunnings

You earn a WELL ABOVE average wage and there are only TWO of you, so you will be feeling very well off at the moment, i hope for both your sakes that it continues.

PS I hope you like homebaked wedding presents
Sorry, got to laugh. I live in London, out-goings (mortgage) about £1,100, on top of that put about £1600 council TAX a year. Then there's the Petrol, bills etc and it's bloody expensive. Me and my missus earn around £70,000 between us per year and still bloody struggle.

In case you people over here have forgotten, but the Council TAX is going up another £150 ( in London that is) this year, but the real killer is that the re-banding of our house gets completed in 2007, and most houses in London will go up another two Bands, probably a £1300 increase. Best bit is, we pay all this money and all we get are crap schools and crap council facilities.

What you get in Aus, from a life style prospective anyway, might not be any better than here, but your basics, Schooling, Social/Council amenities are on another planet. Also, people actually smile out there, talk and make conversation - ever sat on the tube ?

Oh, one other thing, Medicare. I pay for private Health over here through my company, costs above £300 for the family a year. Still paying National Insurance, which I have no issue with as I'm a great admirer of the NHS, but I'm Taxed, as this is classed as a company benefit as well as the NI ? I'm doing them a bloody favour by going private and cutting down queue at my local hospital, #!$*&*

At least paying Medicare you have the insurance that the Hospitals are clean. I know of one person who just died in Hospital because of the super bug MRSA, even though she got through the open Heart surgery. Another three people, including my old man who have also contracted this bug over the last year. This is what we are paying for ?

Sorry, but get a grip people, it's not the land of milk and honey, but it's leaves Inner city London for dead (and a few other British areas) - period.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 10:36 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
"There are none so blind as those who will not see"

G
And some of us are actually here, so we see quite clearly .
Old Jan 19th 2005, 10:36 am
Keeping it fairly real

Originally Posted by jc_hoops
Sorry, got to laugh. I live in London, out-goings (mortgage) about £1,100, on top of that put about £1600 council TAX a year. Then there's the Petrol, bills etc and it's bloody expensive. Me and my missus earn around £70,000 between us per year and still bloody struggle.

In case you people over here have forgotten, but the Council TAX is going up another £150 ( in London that is) this year, but the real killer is that the re-banding of our house gets completed in 2007, and most houses in London will go up another two Bands, probably a £1300 increase. Best bit is, we pay all this money and all we get are crap schools and crap council facilities.

What you get in Aus, from a life style prospective anyway, might not be any better than here, but your basics, Schooling, Social/Council amenities are on another planet. Also, people actually smile out there, talk and make conversation - ever sat on the tube ?

Oh, one other thing, Medicare. I pay for private Health over here through my company, costs above £300 for the family a year. Still paying National Insurance, which I have no issue with as I'm a great admirer of the NHS, but I'm Taxed, as this is classed as a company benefit as well as the NI ? I'm doing them a bloody favour by going private and cutting down queue at my local hospital, #!$*&*

At least paying Medicare you have the insurance that the Hospitals are clean. I know of one person who just died in Hospital because of the super bug MRSA, even though she got through the open Heart surgery. Another three people, including my old man who have also contracted this bug over the last year. This is what we are paying for ?

Sorry, but get a grip people, it's not the land of milk and honey, but it's leaves Inner city London for dead (and a few other British areas) - period.
if you're coming from London then you're laughing.......
Old Jan 19th 2005, 11:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Before I moved to Brisbane, I spent years working with aussies in the UK. They complained constantly about the prices in supermarkets (I was working in London and Glasgow, we all lived centrally). Now alot of these aussies were from Sydney and Melbourne, so they weren't from the sticks or anything.
You've got to remember though, that Aussies are the whingiest nation on the planet.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You've got to remember though, that Aussies are the whingiest nation on the planet.
just to have a humour bypass for the moment (as I know that comment was made in jest)

I've found that aussies whinge or complain about as much as I do, or Mrs JTL, and they don't dare call us whinging poms either, I'm scots/irish, wifeys Hong Kongese.

So hope thats cleared that up. They whinge, we whinge, you whinge. Its like doing declention at schoool( Je suis, tu es, il est, nous et, vous et, ile sont )

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jan 19th 2005, 12:49 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

just to have a humour bypass for the moment (as I know that comment was made in jest)

I've found that aussies whinge or complain about as much as I do, or Mrs JTL, and they don't dare call us whinging poms either, I'm scots/irish, wifeys Hong Kongese.

So hope thats cleared that up. They whinge, we whinge, you whinge. Its like doing declention at schoool( Je suis, tu es, il est, nous et, vous et, ile sont )

Cheers,
JTL
Yes, just to make it more of a point, (though can't believe some people really think poms are the biggest whingers...!!), Dutch whinge too, especially me (oh, and I didn't wear clogs, didn't have tulips in my garden, nearest windmill 5 km's and Amsterdam 150 kms... )
Old Jan 19th 2005, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
Yes, just to make it more of a point, (though can't believe some people really think poms are the biggest whingers...!!), Dutch whinge too, especially me (oh, and I didn't wear clogs, didn't have tulips in my garden, nearest windmill 5 km's and Amsterdam 150 kms... )
And you never stuck your finger in a dyke?
Old Jan 19th 2005, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

Steady !!
Old Jan 19th 2005, 12:54 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

ROFLMAO oeeeeerrr missus .
Old Jan 19th 2005, 12:55 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,
JTL
Spot on. Every nation does it. It is fun (your duty actually) winding Aussies up though, 'cause they love to dish it out, but really can't take it back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.