Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is $79000 enough to live WA

Is $79000 enough to live WA

Old Sep 12th 2011, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is $79000 enough to live WA

Originally Posted by eddie007
My Dream Date when me and HIM go out for a meal once a month or so... Is fish n chips on the beach at Point Peron, take a couple of tinnies with us and sit an watch the ocean and talk... Dont get me wrong I do like eating out, but for romantic you cant beat a deserted beach and just two of you....

That sets us back about $18 .....
Like it!! or taking a bottle of vino to port kennedy beach at sunset and watching the dolphins doing the rounds - bliss ($10)
Old Sep 12th 2011, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbieuk
Like it!! or taking a bottle of vino to port kennedy beach at sunset and watching the dolphins doing the rounds - bliss ($10)
A girl after my own heart.... Even better ... During the summer... Box of wine or two and the inner bag blown up as a pillow, spending the night lying looking up at the stars and talking
Old Sep 12th 2011, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

DotSpot is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't understand how some people say that this amount of money is not enough to live comfortable in WA.

We have friends living in a relatively nice area of Perth 20 mins from the CBD, paying a mortgage on a lovely 4 bedroom detached bungalow with pool, Toyota Landcruiser and a motorbike, and living a very comfortable lifestyle, 2 adults, 1 teenager, 1 toddler. They earn $60k in total, no benefits. That's on one income with one staying at home.

On mentioning to them how people on some websites are saying that $60-$70k is not enough to live on, their response was "are they real or what?".

Also worth mentioning that they "got by" on a $35k income between them until their youngest was born last year.

Remember that Perth is more expensive for some things then East Coast (fuel, food/drink all more expensive out west).

I guess if you've come from a lavish lifestyle in London or the South then you may find it more difficult, but that's more down to a lifestyle choice.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DotSpot
I don't understand how some people say that this amount of money is not enough to live comfortable in WA.

We have friends living in a relatively nice area of Perth 20 mins from the CBD, paying a mortgage on a lovely 4 bedroom detached bungalow with pool, Toyota Landcruiser and a motorbike, and living a very comfortable lifestyle, 2 adults, 1 teenager, 1 toddler. They earn $60k in total, no benefits. That's on one income with one staying at home.

On mentioning to them how people on some websites are saying that $60-$70k is not enough to live on, their response was "are they real or what?".

Also worth mentioning that they "got by" on a $35k income between them until their youngest was born last year.

Remember that Perth is more expensive for some things then East Coast (fuel, food/drink all more expensive out west).

I guess if you've come from a lavish lifestyle in London or the South then you may find it more difficult, but that's more down to a lifestyle choice.
Are you saying that your friends didn't claim any Centrelink benefits? You also don't pay much tax on low incomes. They must have had a lot of equity in their home to be able to afford the mortgage on a low salary.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elect42
Hi, thanks for your feed back. We have a PR visa and looking to live in the Ellenbrook area. We know it will be tight for the first year but as our youngest is only 15 months my wife is only planning to stay off work until the boys have settled & we have researched child care and costs. What do you think you need to earn for a family of four to get by if $79k not enough?
Our situation the first year: also renting ($1600 per month, new 3X2), only one very modest used car bought outright, hubby had a work car with gas card and work mobile, public school, entitled to rent assistance (something like $30 a week) and children's tax benefit (it was about $200 a fortnight). Hubby was earning a similar salary to that one at the time and I was at home with the one kid not in school.

It was do-able. We didn't have a lot of expenses...no booze (couldn't afford it back then), no take aways, no golf weekends or spa days (when do we have the time--ha), no holidays ever term break, whatever. So, we could live on it. That said, we didn't have a huge amount left over after each paycheque for savings...there really wasn't much of a cushion. After we paid rent, food, medibank, petrol, bills (you'd be surprised at utility costs and internet/foxtel "packages"), insurance (renters, life), mobile, and any other payments we had due, then we'd have maybe a few hundred left over, maybe $400 at the end of the month. For some people, that's fine. For me, it always bugged me that it wasn't much of a cushion if hubby ended up out of work or some other emergency occurred.

Then he got work in the mines starting last year. Cushion problem solved but others have cropped up in their place. Typical.

I don't have an answer for how much is needed...every family is different. I'd say whatever covers all your expenses, leaves enough for decent savings, and doesn't have you worrying "what if." That's the right amount.

Last edited by Japonica; Sep 12th 2011 at 11:46 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 1:52 am
nail banger

ivanjjordan will become famous soon enoughivanjjordan will become famous soon enough

i pulled 155000 last year so my account tells me and the wife about 15000 and we are always skint its really is very expensive in wa
Old Sep 13th 2011, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

dwaindibley is a jewel in the roughdwaindibley is a jewel in the roughdwaindibley is a jewel in the roughdwaindibley is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ivanjjordan
i pulled 155000 last year so my account tells me and the wife about 15000 and we are always skint its really is very expensive in wa
you mean your skint but the wife isnt thats what i find with my wage, i pay all the bills she earns the spending money! I dont seem to see a lot of her wages personally!
Old Sep 13th 2011, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanjjordan
Jeez... If she worked more she'd have less time to spend your hard earned dosh!