Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$7000 home buyer grant?

$7000 home buyer grant?

Old Oct 21st 2003, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default $7000 home buyer grant?

Hi We applied for the grant in August a few weeks after we bought the house and the land agent put the forms through for us.

We've heard absolutely zilch...

We have chased the land agent who don't ring us back.

Anyone ever received this grant and knows how long it should take, or who to chase direct?

Silly me forgot to photocopy the forms in the rush to put them through.

Thanks
Mash
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

scottm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: $7000 home buyer grant?

Hi Mashiraz,

You should have received the grant in you bank account within a few weeks.

If I where you I would get in touch with RevenueSA right away,
There phone number is 088226 2120 .

There web sites are - www.treasury.sa.gov.au/revenue and

www.firsthome.gov.au

Good luck
scottm
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Scott, will increase the pressure on them.
Mash

Originally posted by scottm
Hi Mashiraz,

You should have received the grant in you bank account within a few weeks.

If I where you I would get in touch with RevenueSA right away,
There phone number is 088226 2120 .

There web sites are - www.treasury.sa.gov.au/revenue and

www.firsthome.gov.au

Good luck
scottm
:
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Happy hammer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default $7.000 Grant

I have had a few e mails from a family who moved to oz in august and she has just told me that they got the $7.000 grant from the govenment. you can get it anywhere in oz as long as you stay in the first house you buy for more than 1 year or you will have to pay it back. hope this is of some help
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

We applied for the grant direct as we were told the agent couldn't put them through for us. It took about 3-4 weeks.

Diane
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 2:07 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DianeOZ
We applied for the grant direct as we were told the agent couldn't put them through for us. It took about 3-4 weeks.

Diane
Our Aussie mates said that it used to be $14,000! Supposed to be scraping it soon too.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 2:38 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by mashiraz
Hi We applied for the grant in August a few weeks after we bought the house and the land agent put the forms through for us.

We've heard absolutely zilch...

We have chased the land agent who don't ring us back.

Anyone ever received this grant and knows how long it should take, or who to chase direct?

Silly me forgot to photocopy the forms in the rush to put them through.

Thanks
Mash

chase it up if I were you. We applied for the 10 thousand grant (we signed contracts before it went down to 7, 30th June last year) . Anyway, we gave ours to the bank to send in. About a month ago I thought this is is ridiculous that we still haven't received this grant. I got onto the bank manager, he contacted the office of state revenue and it seems there is no record of it. The bank must have lost our forms and they did not send it in for us. banks!! (if you want something done.. do it yourself in future)
Anyway, we still haven't applied for ours, even though we've been in our home for a few months now (we built too) . we still can apply for the 10 thou (our receipts of start and finish date is before the cut of the date for that 10 thou) .

anyway check it out.. the forms may have got lost , or your agent may have not sent them in, like what happened to ours

Friend of mine he received his money not long after the completion date of his home ( this is building new.) . So I don't know if it's when you complete the home you'll receive it.

Anyway not to worry if there is no record of it.. you can still apply for it even after the building is long completed.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Oct 22nd 2003 at 2:42 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 2:49 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Pookin
Our Aussie mates said that it used to be $14,000! Supposed to be scraping it soon too.
14 for building new.. that used to be about 2 years ago, it was before christmas before last anyway (friend got in on time for this). Then it went down to 10,000 if you signed contracts before 30th June last year.. which we did (and can still apply for this.. that's why the forms are still on the government web site for the old grants. It's for people like me who have not claimed their money back yet)

After June 30th last year it went down to $7,000

It's always been $7,000 for buying an existing home. now it's 7 for both building and buying an existing home.

cheers
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Andy Pandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: $7.000 Grant

Originally posted by Happy hammer
I have had a few e mails from a family who moved to oz in august and she has just told me that they got the $7.000 grant from the govenment. you can get it anywhere in oz as long as you stay in the first house you buy for more than 1 year or you will have to pay it back. hope this is of some help

Hi Happy Hammer,
Would you know if you have to be a P.Resident for this grant !

Andrew
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 4:26 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: $7.000 Grant

Originally posted by Andy Pandy
Hi Happy Hammer,
Would you know if you have to be a P.Resident for this grant !
Andrew
Yep! Which is why I can't apply for mine yet - I'm presently on a 457 visa. Still, (if it's still going) I'll be able to apply once I get my PR sorted.

Try this:

http://www.national.com.au/Personal_...,,8993,00.html
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future
Default First home owners grant

I can't believe new UK immigrants who have just made a small fortune on selling their UK home are entitled to the first home owners grant without contributing to Australia first.

I thought it was designed for young battlers trying to buy their first house not "helping" the wealthy to buy a $500K house with a 20K deposit.Seems similar to those "first home owners" who are still in nappies.

I'm not criticising because if it legal you are entitled to it and I would apply for it too.

If you don't like Oz and decide to move back willyou pay it back ?

Last edited by mary1; Oct 22nd 2003 at 10:23 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 10:29 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First home owners grant

Originally posted by mary1
I can't believe new UK immigrants who have just made a small fortune on selling their UK home are entitled to the first home owners grant without contributing to Australia first.

I thought it was designed for young battlers trying to buy their first house not "helping" the wealthy to buy a $500K house with a 20K deposit.Seems similar to those "first home owners" who are still in nappies.
I'm not criticising because if it legal you are entitled to it and I would apply for it too.
If you don't like Oz and decide to move back willyou pay it back ?
It's just as applicable on million dollar beachfront houses as it is on $50K shacks out bush. See my earlier post for the requirements. As far as moving back to the Uk is concerned, don't even think about it, because it's not going to happen! (And once you've lived in the house for a year, I think you're okay.)
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Happy hammer is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry

Yes as someone else has already pointed out you have to have a p visa to get the $7.000 grant. and i dont care if i am treated as if i am still in nappies and claim this grant....thats one big reason why i am getting out of the uk, i am fed up of the rest of the world coming into the country with nowt and geting all the hand outs under the sun, at least when i come over to oz i will be bring money and a skill and have paid to come into the country and not on the back of a lorry....sorry if this sounds as if i am getting on my soap box but if you was to ask most of the people leaving these shores they would feel the same way i am sure.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:14 am
Y Ddraig Goch

It was introduced to help with the GST.. you'll notice the grant came in about the time GST was introduced.

When I leave Aus.. do you think the government is going to pay me back all the tax I've paid them in the past 6 years? with the amount of tax myself and hubby have paid we could have bought a second house with it (more like third) .. in full.

The first time home grant has also helped the surge of building too, so it has benefited the building industry.

Being a person who has paid for my house in full, and being a person who has claimed for the grant (that's if the moron in the bank had sent it in! I've yet to re-send in the application form) and also being a person who has paid extremely high taxes over the past years. I feel no guilt what so ever in claiming it. P.S if you want to have a go at me .. tough. Personally I feel that why the hell should my taxes be used to towards dole bums,surfies on the GC who are too busy surfing/bumming around to get a job, shooting centres for druggies and people with an army of children who have never heard of the pill!.I contribute far more to Australia than Australia has ever contributed to me. We do not claim for anything, never have, not even family allowance (we have no kids). so If I give my 10 thou back.. do you think the government will give me my hundreds of thou back that I've given them and have had nothing in return for it?? I think not..

The first time home buyers grant is not means tested.. if people have a prob I suggest they take it up with their dear Prime Jonnie Miniature.

This soap box is good isn't it , I'm off it now, that's better, next person please lol

cheers

P.s the lady (or man) mashiraz was only asking if she should chase up the state revenue to see where her grant was .. and yes she should.My bank did not send my forms in, although they won't admit it.. but there was no record of my application at the revenue office.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:20 am
I like kittens.

Originally posted by Ceri
Being a person who has paid for my house in full, and being a person who has claimed for the grant (that's if the moron in the bank had sent it in! I've yet to re-send in the application form) and also being a person who has paid extremely high taxes over the past years. I feel no guilt what so ever in claiming it. P.S if you want to have a go at me .. tough. Personally I feel that why the hell should my taxes be used to towards dole bums,surfies on the GC who are too busy surfing/bumming around to get a job, shooting centres for druggies and people with an army of children who have never heard of the pill!.I contribute far more to Australia than Australia has ever contributed to me. We do not claim for anything, never have, not even family allowance (we have no kids). so If I give my 10 thou back.. do you think the government will give me my hundreds of thou back that I've given them and have had nothing in return for it?? I think not..
Hear! Hear! I agree with you wholeheartedly. I, too, object to paying thousands of dollars (ex pounds) for bludgers who wouldn't know a work ethic if it slapped them in the face.
Trouble is, the UK's just the same.