$70,000

Old Sep 9th 2006, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $70,000

Originally Posted by Sandra
Where are you intending to live? Does the 70K mean a package and include superannuation or is that on top. With a $300K mortgage you are not going to be living high on the hog in some areas.

For some thought process check your current percentages - eg Do you currently manage on 28K GBP and have 120K mortgage. Can you do the calculation that shows your current disposable percentage income and compare that to what you are moving to. If the answer is yes for your lifestyle then things are possibly going to be the same here. I also want to add money isn't always the total reason for moving but can be a big factor in enojoying some things

There are masses of other factors to take into account. Holidays, working hours, expense of travel to work etc etc

Have fun
I'd be doing the same too. Cheers.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The ABS and another study both came up with figures of around $900 a week as average living costs for a family in australia.

Given they had silly figures of housing $176 a week (about half the average rental) and food $156 a week (add 100 for our size family) food went up 20% last year, etc etc, they are well out of date.

Our family includes teenagers, our bills per month are well in excess of $4000 a month, food and petrol alone would cost over half that figure!
Could you does us all a favour and put some figures down please. $50k net, mortgage free and you just cover your bills, surely not
You must have either the greediest kids in Aus or one hell of a crack habit
Old Sep 9th 2006, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The S's
Could you does us all a favour and put some figures down please. $50k net, mortgage free and you just cover your bills, surely not
Jad and Rich did a very detailed (and realistic IMO) post of their yearly expenses not long ago:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=10

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Sep 9th 2006, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

We managed fine on 52,000, hubbys wage.
We only have a very small mortgage, our bills arnt so bad and i spend about 250 a week on food.
I work now and it is extra, we have 3 kids at home, a 20 yr old and i help my older kids out.
My electric for 3 month was $400, gas was 150, this works out at about 50 a week, and thats living comfortably, the house is a big 5 bed, 2 bath large area.
I find people here very materialistic [keep up with the Joneses].
My phone bill works out on average 100 a month.
We dont have car finance or anything, so if you live to your means you will be ok. Hope this helps
Denise
Old Sep 9th 2006, 2:50 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Jad and Rich did a very detailed (and realistic IMO) post of their yearly expenses not long ago:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=10

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Was that the thread that Scrooge the Stampede posted his living costs in?
It conjured up visions of him and Mrs Stampede sitting in arm chairs wrapped in crocheted blankets wearing fingerless mitts playing snap via the light of an oil lamp and living on tins of Frey Bentos corned beef
Old Sep 9th 2006, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Craigv is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.

Is this inclusive of super or do you have super on top. Another question is whether you will have PR or if you are eligible for LAFHA (living away from home allowance) which is common for 457 's .

Do you have family?

I am on a package of 65K and I get LAFHA. I have three kids and wife who does not work. We rent and pay 550 per week. If you are single or have more than one income you will be fine.

We get by, but dont have loads of nights out or meals. We you chose to live and how much rent you pay is a big factor.

You will get by fine.

I think I'm very close to getting offered a job in IT at $70,000 per annum

Is it a good wage? Would I be able to live comfortably? I'm still in the UK and I had a look on some job websites but I'd like to get some feedback from real people

Thanks for any input
AL[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 10th 2006, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
It conjured up visions of him and Mrs Stampede sitting in arm chairs wrapped in crocheted blankets wearing fingerless mitts playing snap via the light of an oil lamp and living on tins of Frey Bentos corned beef
Yup that's the one...

Mrs JTL
Old Sep 10th 2006, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Aldebaran has a spectacular aura aboutAldebaran has a spectacular aura aboutAldebaran has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Craigv
Hi.

Is this inclusive of super or do you have super on top. Another question is whether you will have PR or if you are eligible for LAFHA (living away from home allowance) which is common for 457 's .

Do you have family?

I am on a package of 65K and I get LAFHA. I have three kids and wife who does not work. We rent and pay 550 per week. If you are single or have more than one income you will be fine.

We get by, but dont have loads of nights out or meals. We you chose to live and how much rent you pay is a big factor.

You will get by fine.
Hi Craigv,

Thanks for replying.

I've got a Permanent Resident visa.

I'll need to ask the employer if super is on top or not.

It will just be me and my wife.

We're planning on living in the Melbourne area - renting at first and then buying probably somewhere like Berwick where places are "affordable"

AL
Old Sep 10th 2006, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

That was rather a good thread A bit like the one where he told working mothers where they were going wrong.
Old Sep 10th 2006, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
That was rather a good thread A bit like the one where he told working mothers where they were going wrong.

Old Sep 10th 2006, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Fed Up Waiting is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds just like home on this rainy Sunday Evening, cant find the Frey Bentos so will home brand beans doo?
Old Sep 10th 2006, 8:34 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: $70,000

Yes, it was the one where I highlighted the breahtakingly obvious fact that:

(a) two people with no digital TV, no kids, no car loans, two very small mortgages (one of them on an investment property that currently pays for itself)

live much more cheaply than:

(b) a family with two kids at private school to the tune of $12,000+ a year, a tradie spending $8,000 a year on petrol, and (to quote jad n rich) "lots and lots of camping a weekend away; usually a cabin."

It's not exactly rocket science; just plain common sense, really. But thanks for taking an interest.

To the OP: Sandra's post is an excellent one. Take her advice and work out your current budget now, before you go Down Under.

Remember that many people have a high cost of living because they also have a high level of debt. They buy a big house and one or two new or near-new cars, then wonder where all the money's going each month.

Look at cranni's figures; she has a big house and more kids than jad n rich, but she manages fine on an income of $52,000. If she can do it, then so can you.

If you already live comfortably within your means, you should be fine. If you don't, this could be the impetus to change your spending habits and aim for a low-debt or debt-free lifestyle.

At the end of the day, most people determine their cost of living by the choices that they make. Living within your means may not be fashionable, and it sure won't keep you up with the Jonses - but it won't burn a hole in your credit card, and it will mean a much better lifestyle further down the track.
Old Sep 10th 2006, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

(a) two people with no digital TV, no kids, no car loans, two very small mortgages (one of them on an investment property that currently pays for itself)

(b) a family with two kids at private school to the tune of $12,000+ a year, a tradie spending $8,000 a year on petrol, and (to quote jad n rich) "lots and lots of camping a weekend away; usually a cabin."

It's not exactly rocket science; just plain common sense, really. But thanks for taking an interest.

To the OP: Sandra's post is an excellent one. Take her advice and work out your current budget now, before you go Down Under.

Remember that many people have a high cost of living because they also have a high level of debt. They buy a big house and one or two new or near-new cars, then wonder where all the money's going each month.

Look at cranni's figures; she has a big house and more kids than jad n rich, but she manages fine on an income of $52,000. If she can do it, then so can you.

If you already live comfortably within your means, you should be fine. If you don't, this could be the impetus to change your spending habits and aim for a low-debt or debt-free lifestyle.

At the end of the day, most people determine their cost of living by the choices that they make. Living within your means may not be fashionable, and it sure won't keep you up with the Jonses - but it won't burn a hole in your credit card, and it will mean a much better lifestyle further down the track.
well said, good to see realists view

$50k on food and elec?????
Old Sep 10th 2006, 10:09 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

well said, good to see realists view

$50k on food and elec?????
Why were Jad's figures unrealistic? We have similar costs and no debt apart from mortgage (25% of our homes value). Other people on that original thread also had comparable costs.

I think Vash was trying to say that you should live within your means, and if people have the means to live this way, then why shouldn't they?

Jane
Old Sep 10th 2006, 10:12 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Actually you dissected an accurate post about the cost of living in Brisbane even though you had never lived there and don't have three teenage kids, had no idea of the cost of rates, electricity rego etc etc. You also deducted things that J&R didn't include yet knocked them off your total flawing your figures
Sure you can live cheaply yourself, others may just want a bit more out of life than to merely exist. Your costs were way out for S.E Qld though probably accurate for a small S.A town
It only got my back up as we had similar figures for electricity rego etc. yet you deemed fit to make out they were inaccurate based on what google?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.