Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$6000 Budget for car, what would you buy?

$6000 Budget for car, what would you buy?

Old Apr 4th 2010, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $6000 Budget for car, what would you buy?

Originally Posted by kporte
German will cripple if they go wrong.......
How's your motor mate?
Old Apr 4th 2010, 10:22 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
How's your motor mate?
dodgy dealer fixed the fuel line and it seems ok! have joined RACQ though!
Old Apr 4th 2010, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

dodgy dealer fixed the fuel line and it seems ok! have joined RACQ though!
Hey a mate of mine just imported a 1970 2 door Lincoln ~7000cc v8 from California, bought unseen off Ebay. Perhaps 2000 bucks.

It is covered in dust, and with mould inside from the crossing, but the panelwork is spotless after a respray.

The wharfies in Melbourne damaged the fuel lines with their forklifts..bit of work to get it running, and like flushing the toilet every time you put your foot down.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 11:08 am
Account Closed

Hey a mate of mine just imported a 1970 2 door Lincoln ~7000cc v8 from California, bought unseen off Ebay. Perhaps 2000 bucks.

It is covered in dust, and with mould inside from the crossing, but the panelwork is spotless after a respray.

The wharfies in Melbourne damaged the fuel lines with their forklifts..bit of work to get it running, and like flushing the toilet every time you put your foot down.
I had an Audi RS 4 in the UK. 12 year old Magna is a departure!! Not used to a car not actually starting when you turn the key!!
Old Apr 4th 2010, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I had an Audi RS 4 in the UK. 12 year old Magna is a departure!! Not used to a car not actually starting when you turn the key!!
Yes, I don't think I've ever had a car fail to start via mechanical breakdown..

Flat battery maybe. Loss of fuid from somewhere maybe. A belt slipping p'chance.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 11:24 am
Account Closed

Yes, I don't think I've ever had a car fail to start via mechanical breakdown..

Flat battery maybe. Loss of fuid from somewhere maybe. A belt slipping p'chance.
seems ok now and with my current dire financial situation, the Magna is cheap to fix!!
Old Apr 4th 2010, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Jason123 is an unknown quantity at this point

slightly off topic but... I'm planning on moving to Aus to get a graduate geology job and I will obviously need some transport when I get there. What sort of price is a bog standard car just to get me from A to B going to set me back roughly?
Old Apr 4th 2010, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jason123
slightly off topic but... I'm planning on moving to Aus to get a graduate geology job and I will obviously need some transport when I get there. What sort of price is a bog standard car just to get me from A to B going to set me back roughly?
3k gets you somthing useable. I tried for less and came unstuck!!
Old Apr 4th 2010, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

3k gets you somthing useable. I tried for less and came unstuck!!
Pot luck! Backpackers manage to cross the country with their clapped out cars.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 12:31 am
Account Closed

Pot luck! Backpackers manage to cross the country with their clapped out cars.
for sure!
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

. double post
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The sixes are not the end of the world if driven on highways or country roads.

Would not commute in one in rush hour.

I find many, not all, fours not so good for loaded cars with big families. Newer ones probably more powerful at the top of the scale.
They are actually quite difficult to give up once you've owned one. Feel like they are capable of anything. Pretty horrible running costs around town though... although all that space once again is hard to give up. Damn cheap to fix, dont go wrong often either.

I think you have to go Ford Falcon or Holden Commodore, on account of any potential repair costs, being so cheap.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

autorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Al and Jacque
Hi, we will be in Melbourne in 4wks, with a budget of around $6000, what family car would you buy? had been thinking about a Ford Falcon wagon dual fuel but don't really know, what do you think?

Thanks
Al
I'd go a Camry wagon. Very reliable. Only drawback is: ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONALITY!!!

lol

You will not feel any warm fuzzies towards your car!

I know, I bought one when we moved over. It has 350,000kms on the clock and runs like a dream...

The plan was to get a Discovery and we got this instead of a rental car for a few weeks and have now been driving it for almost a year without a hitch!

We just completed a 2000kms+ return trip to Sydney with no issues and a overall economy of over 11kms per litre...

Just my two bobs worth..

We still will get the Discovery and I dare say it'll be a whole lot less reliable but more versatile (we like to camp!!)
Old Apr 5th 2010, 7:49 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Used cars are a ridiculous price here.....people will pay silly money for any old crap.

We ended up buying two new ones simply because we did not think it worthwhile buying second hand.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
They are actually quite difficult to give up once you've owned one. Feel like they are capable of anything. Pretty horrible running costs around town though... although all that space once again is hard to give up. Damn cheap to fix, dont go wrong often either.

I think you have to go Ford Falcon or Holden Commodore, on account of any potential repair costs, being so cheap.
Our 95 Falcon was bought with only 88k on the clock, and we've since put 100k on it in 6 years. Your mileage might vary but that's not so much after all. Years ago someone said that Australians don't necessarily drive the huge distances everyone thinks they do. It takes 3 child seats so will be fine until our youngest is about 3 years old.

If I was given a brand new Ford or Commodore I would not be griping about it that's for sure. I wouldn't buy one now - probably a medium 4x4, or something like a 3-5 year old Kluger will be our next buy.

Originally Posted by Grayling
Used cars are a ridiculous price here.....people will pay silly money for any old crap.

We ended up buying two new ones simply because we did not think it worthwhile buying second hand.
It's a common point, but don't want to pay 40k (60k?) plus for some of the models that interest us. So I'd rather pay 20k and allow someone else to pay the depreciation. Other people I know buy a 18k Lancer on runout or something else similar new but these cars are too small for us.