Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$6000 Budget for car, what would you buy?

$6000 Budget for car, what would you buy?

Old Apr 1st 2010, 1:05 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: $6000 Budget for car, what would you buy?

Originally Posted by Al and Jacque
Which is the best magna to get? would like electric windows and some creature comforts, we like to be able to lock the rear windows to stop the kids messing about, so would like power windows all round. Do you think the Magna is the best choice out of the main three? Ford, Holden and Mitsubishi.

Thanks
Al
I'd put the order as Mitsu, Holden, ..............................Ford if yer stuck!
Old Apr 1st 2010, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, we will be in Melbourne in 4wks, with a budget of around $6000, what family car would you buy? had been thinking about a Ford Falcon wagon dual fuel but don't really know, what do you think?

Thanks
Al
www.carsales.com.au

you can search by state, ie Victoria and then put in 'Melbourne' - also price range, I just did it and it came up with lots under $7500 or $5000 (no $6000 on list).

If you also search from www.google.com.au and put 'secondhand cars melbourne' a load more websites come up.

Good luck with your move
Old Apr 1st 2010, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Al and Jacque is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi how hard are these big 6's on fuel? don't want to be spending all my wages on fuel, would like a dual fuel or dedicated gas although may be hard to find at the right price. If you buy a smaller engined car say a Holden Vectra do the autos drive ok, or are you better of with a manual, which is hard work in city traffic i guess, by the way I live in rural Ireland, but appreciate the advantage of autos in the city.

Thanks
Al
Old Apr 1st 2010, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 1999 Camry Touring (3 litres, V6) with 210,000 kms. Great car. Alloy wheels, leather steering wheel. Virtually nothing has broken in the 10 years I've owned it and still drives as if it were new. Great road handling and plenty of power. It would only sell for about $5 K or perhaps a bit less.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we will be in Melbourne in 4wks, with a budget of around $6000, what family car would you buy? had been thinking about a Ford Falcon wagon dual fuel but don't really know, what do you think?

Thanks
Al
I think you have your head in the sand or our you thinking of how much the tyres cost.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

have you had a look on carsales.com.au or trading post, a lot of good cars for $6000, looking at a 2003 ford falcon ba xt wagon with 210k's for 6k. Melbournes cheapest cars also have a lot of good cars for that money.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

have you had a look on carsales.com.au or trading post, a lot of good cars for $6000, looking at a 2003 ford falcon ba xt wagon with 210k's for 6k. Melbournes cheapest cars also have a lot of good cars for that money.
I can tell you aint been there yet ?
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:11 pm
Cobbalobs

grossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to all

Originally Posted by eugene43
I can tell you aint been there yet ?
And remember it's the end of the Tax year in 3 months time so all the dealers want rid of excess stock, so you'll get some good bargains coming up
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

The sixes are not the end of the world if driven on highways or country roads.

Would not commute in one in rush hour.

I find many, not all, fours not so good for loaded cars with big families. Newer ones probably more powerful at the top of the scale.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

How would you know if I have been or not, by the way I have been and i had a dual fuel falcon and a ford transit, I was just interested in others opinions on the likes of commodores, magnas and smaller 4's, As this time I really don't know what to get.

Thanks
Al
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all

I would recommend that you stick to local builds or german...basically ones that won't fall appart.
You best bet is to buy via ebay as you seem to get much more for your money, BUT always go and see the car before bidding.

We saw what sounded like a mint BMW 535....when we went to see it the seals were done, hole in the wing and the inside smelt like someone had lost fish in there.

Having said that we have found a really neat and tidy 2001 Holden, nothing special but it has a full service history and it only cost us 3.5k
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 10:40 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: $6000 Budget for car, what would you buy?

3.0 litre sixes are always good value, especially with dual fuel. Plenty of power without the pain of petrol prices.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 7:34 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

When we arrived last September we had the same amount for a car for me. I really wanted an Astra; I was shocked at the ages of the cars in our price bracket eventually settling for a Hyundai which i didn't want
You've done it before so you will be fine.
Good luck
J x
Old Apr 4th 2010, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I reported not 2 months ago that I got a 1987 Saab 900 off Ebay for 275 dollars which needed new tyres and a service.

I've since spent another AUD500 getting a few little things tweaked here and there and a few hours with a polish and a wax. Drives like a dream now.

Little bit of automotive history and even a bit of a head turner out here in the SE.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 9:18 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chelly77
I would recommend that you stick to local builds or german...basically ones that won't fall appart.
You best bet is to buy via ebay as you seem to get much more for your money, BUT always go and see the car before bidding.

We saw what sounded like a mint BMW 535....when we went to see it the seals were done, hole in the wing and the inside smelt like someone had lost fish in there.

Having said that we have found a really neat and tidy 2001 Holden, nothing special but it has a full service history and it only cost us 3.5k
German will cripple if they go wrong.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.