Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is $55,000 a good wage or not?

Is $55,000 a good wage or not?

Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is $55,000 a good wage or not?

Bit of an unprofessional response. I don't think I would have sent an email like that though either, I would do salary negotiations verbally.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

I know a family surviving on a single wage of less than $55K in Sydney, the difference is that they are Australian's rather than imports.

It's not so hard when you inherit a house in Hunters Hill 9-4 job 5 mins away on bicycle and wife stays at home with the kids, of course their family did the hard yards years ago.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:10 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
I know a family surviving on a single wage of less than $55K in Sydney, the difference is that they are Australian's rather than imports.

It's not so hard when you inherit a house in Hunters Hill 9-4 job 5 mins away on bicycle and wife stays at home with the kids, of course their family did the hard yards years ago.
Don't be too jealous - if they live in Hunters Hill they're probably radioactive.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Seasider
Don't be too jealous - if they live in Hunters Hill they're probably radioactive.
It did cross my mind
Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

amomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really nice

Me and my girlfriend are coming to NSW next year, we are both mental health nurses and will be earning around $55k. We will be in Tamworth for 12 months working so I think our money will go a lot further than it would in Sydney
Old Sep 30th 2011, 2:52 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Two people earning $55K is plenty to survive on. You'll be fine - much harder on one wage and with kids.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 7:04 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

It's been about 2.5 years since I last posted on BE and little has changed.

From personal experience I can't see what half those on here are whinging on about, I earn around $55k a year, now have 3 kids under 5 and have more of a life than we could have in England (even after moving back there for a year when things didn't work out the first time here).

We are about to buy our first home and live in a good decent area. We save money and have a very good standard of living.

As the old saying goes, the more you earn the more you spend! We budget but we don't have to watch each and every dollar either.

And at the current rate, 30 grand in England would see us having a decent life too.

If you want a life in Oz, come for a life in Oz not bitch and whinge about what you may or may not have.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dave7370
From personal experience I can't see what half those on here are whinging on about, I earn around $55k a year, now have 3 kids under 5 and have more of a life than we could have in England (even after moving back there for a year when things didn't work out the first time here).
Same here, yet I have been chastised here for suggesting that anything is do-able sub $60k. I think a lot of people expect to move here and instantly have the waterfront house, a 4x4 and a boat. Yeeeaaahhh-no.