Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is $55,000 a good wage or not?

Is $55,000 a good wage or not?

Old Jul 1st 2011, 11:20 am
I'm on a Highway to Hell

Kris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to all
Default Re: Is $55,000 a good wage or not?

Originally Posted by daunted
I think I may be one - though I had no idea!
I am beginning to think I must be one too!
Old Jul 1st 2011, 11:45 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Yeah, but do you know any peasants? Or pesants? They get free housing.
No I only know pedants.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kris_Rocks
I am beginning to think I must be one too!
That's why the system works. You get sports and soaps to keep the peasants happy and entertained and ignorant of their situation in real terms.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Two pieces of info for you Weebie and a repeated request........

1) Info 1 - Many people on one income are better off on that one than many other are on two.
2) Info 2 - Many people on one income aren't struggling

1) REPEATED REQUEST 1 - quit providing wrong info to people on the forum. People come here looking for advice and/or opinions. You seem to be confusing the two and are posting your opinions as if they were gospel. This is misleading and unhelpful so pack it in.
And why is that people on one income are better off than those on two ? Shouldn't it be the other way round ?

One reason is because of families where one person works, the spouse/partner doesn't, they have 4,5 kids or even more and receive huge amounts in Centrelink benefits. There is no incentive for the other person to work when they can get more in benefits each week than from a second wage.

And where does the money come from to pay these benefits ? Hard working taxpayers like me and my husband- with one child - who are sick of watching more and more of our hard-earned money taken off us in higher and higher taxes to pay people who are too lazy to work. One of the most stupid ideas is the baby bonus which only encourages the unemployed ferals to breed even more kids they can't support. And the poor taxpayer is left to pick up the bill.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 1:39 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kips
And why is that people on one income are better off than those on two ? Shouldn't it be the other way round ?

One reason is because of families where one person works, the spouse/partner doesn't, they have 4,5 kids or even more and receive huge amounts in Centrelink benefits. There is no incentive for the other person to work when they can get more in benefits each week than from a second wage.

And where does the money come from to pay these benefits ? Hard working taxpayers like me and my husband- with one child - who are sick of watching more and more of our hard-earned money taken off us in higher and higher taxes to pay people who are too lazy to work. One of the most stupid ideas is the baby bonus which only encourages the unemployed ferals to breed even more kids they can't support. And the poor taxpayer is left to pick up the bill.
Ah a Tony voter, wondered where you all where.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Ah a Tony voter, wondered where you all where.
No I am not. Until recently I was a diehard Labour voter and was always a member of a union.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 5:10 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Is $55,000 a good wage or not?

Until recently I was a diehard Labour voter and was always a member of a union.
Out of the frying pan and into the fire there pet .

So what brings you to the dark side of the political spectrum you “decedent capitalist pig” (or as we like to call people like you on this side of the tracks “ordinary, hardworking, taxpayer”)?

Come, let us go down to the club…as a new convert you’ll need to brush up on your riding skills and ability to smile while saying to a working class person “I’m sorry but your choice to procreate/drop out of school/deal drugs/drink your life away/live on the streets has little to do with my wealth accumulation through my hard work, ability to marry upwards and savvy decision making”. Not directly looking at them of course, gawking at their sooty unwashed faces demeans us all.

You’ll fit right in with the nouveau riche crowd. Tarquin, Alexander and Ptolemy are only wealthy through three generations of their families but they are so dignified you’d hardly know. Why last weekend we ran out of pheasants but finally the beaters finally drove out some peasants instead, they are quite big though so it's not very sporting so Alexander shouted "You-there, be a jolly good fellow and give us some sport by running" before pointing his shotgun at one of the peasant. Why he ran like we had just heard a KFC had opened over the next hedge, it was marvelous and how we laughed.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 9:29 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Or perhaps because they have no childcare bills and the one partner working earns loads?

We don't get any centrelink benefits, so if you need a hand getting down from your soapbox, just shout
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 9:38 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I really missed a trick when I had my ovaries, womb and cervix removed. All those years we've both worked ****ing hard, you mean I could have been popping out kids and living on benefits instead?
Old Jul 4th 2011, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
That's why the system works. You get sports and soaps to keep the peasants happy and entertained and ignorant of their situation in real terms.
Bit of a Marxist, are we? Still there is some truth in what you say...

As for polly's comments, what can crucify a taxpayer is when there is a single high earner - you'd be better off having 2 people earning half. People buy investment properties to become more tax efficient..
Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Bit of a Marxist, are we? Still there is some truth in what you say...

As for polly's comments, what can crucify a taxpayer is when there is a single high earner - you'd be better off having 2 people earning half. People buy investment properties to become more tax efficient..
No I'm not but I do enjoy watching the sheep having no understanding of how the world is run against their best interests but not caring because their team won the match or some bloke shagged his sister on a soap opera etc etc.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

a8 tech is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems to be lots more in WA - which is my preffered destination tbh, I know the place and have some family and friends there - beginning to think we should try looking there again.
Hi I'm going through this myself at the minuet.
I'm an Audi master tech with 20 years experience and Sydney was offered for bit more than your offer but turned it down and have now had a lower offer but in gold coast (my first choice) so looking good as no school fee's and better rentals

I have two kids and the wife to consider as well and as nsw charges for school fee's it would have been a nightmare on the wage offered.

Anyway good luck, techs seem to be in big demand but the wages are less in real terms than the uk

What made it worse was my ex apprentice went to Sydney on $58000 and he is only 1 year out of his time and very inexperienced for uk standards
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

My husband has been offered a job in west Sydney as a motor mechanic - he is fully qualified with 23 years experience and they are offering $55,000 + 9% super, I am thinking this isnt really a very good wage especially in the sydney area am I right.
2 years ago he was offered a job in Perth for £60,000 + Super and they would ship us all out and sort out accom for 1st month and loan a car.
We couldnt take that position at the time because of our house not selling and family probs, however, I know the global economy has gone down but that much???

Is this about right or is my instinct right and this would not be enough to live on in Sydney area?
Sorry, based on my research I would say it's low.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

Actually its all academic now - sent this email to the agency:

"we would be happy to consider Sydney, however, following some reasearch we feel that a salary of $55,000 is far to low to live in such an area, forgive me if I am wrong too but it also seems a little low for a fully qualified 40 year old mechanic with over 20 years experience (mostly peugeot dealership). Its actually probably less than I make here.

I was offered that 2 years ago along with flying us all out, shipping tools, finding and paying for 1st month accomodation, loaning a car and health insurance - I know the world economy has taken a dip but surely not by that much - again please correct me if I am wrong."

And got this email back:

Glen,
Good luck for the Future!

Regards,

Bit rude dont you think???
Reads to me like the agency realises they've been rumbled!
Cheers,
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

new-life is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats a disgusting reply....which recruitment company is it so we can all give them a wide berth?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.