British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Is $55,000 a good wage or not? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/%2455-000-good-wage-not-722982/)

spartacus Jul 1st 2011 3:10 am

Re: Is $55,000 a good wage or not?

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 9468217)
We're a one wage family too.

We're so poor I'm thinking about hitting the streets.

But what the hell do you do with a bag full of 5c pieces?

You could use it as an improvised cosh and go on a vigilante rampage ala Charles Bronson in the original Deathwish . . . although he didn't use a bag, it was a sock, and I don't think they were 5 cent pieces, possibly nickels or dimes or maybe quarters . . . but let's not get hungup on the details.

Dreamy Jul 1st 2011 3:17 am

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 9468281)
You could use it as an improvised cosh and go on a vigilante rampage ala Charles Bronson in the original Deathwish . . . although he didn't use a bag, it was a sock, and I don't think they were 5 cent pieces, possibly nickels or dimes or maybe quarters . . . but let's not get hungup on the details.

I was thinking more along the lines of shaving off all my hair, glueing the coins all over my body and releasing a world wide top selling single.

spartacus Jul 1st 2011 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 9468294)
I was thinking more along the lines of shaving off all my hair, glueing the coins all over my body and releasing a world wide top selling single.

I didn't know you could sing!

daunted Jul 1st 2011 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Weebie (Post 9467367)
Even if you came back to Aus on your previous offer a few years back your still not going to be living a flash lifestyle. To really get ahead in Australia you need two incomes, People who only have 1 forever live with the pesants and never get ahead. England is a much nicer place to be living off 1 income than Australia.

Well having lived in both places on 1 income I disagree! My income is less than $55k a year and I am most certainly NOT living amongst pesants - I'm living in my own house with 2 teenage children in a newly developed estate in a rapidly growing area of WA!
If you really want something you cut your cloth accordingly!

daunted Jul 1st 2011 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Kris_Rocks (Post 9467501)
Who are the pesants anyway - I might be one and not realise!

I think I may be one - though I had no idea!

Beedubya Jul 1st 2011 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Weebie (Post 9467983)
I didn't mean the pesants call literally I'm just saying. At least people who are on low incomes in Australia get a free house and benefits.

There are reasons why childcare is a such a huge industry in Australia. Doesn't matter on your income even if it's reasonable high you'll always struggle if its not 2.

I lived in Australia for 30 years and I don't know of even one single person who lives in free housing..............:unsure:

Dreamy Jul 1st 2011 7:10 am

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 9468310)
I didn't know you could sing!

I don't think you have to be able to sing these days, dearie!

Weebie Jul 1st 2011 7:17 am

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 9468319)
Well having lived in both places on 1 income I disagree! My income is less than $55k a year and I am most certainly NOT living amongst pesants - I'm living in my own house with 2 teenage children in a newly developed estate in a rapidly growing area of WA!
If you really want something you cut your cloth accordingly!

big difference between Australind and Sydney.

daunted Jul 1st 2011 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Weebie (Post 9468520)
big difference between Australind and Sydney.

That i do not disagree however the op was later talking about a move to WA

Dorothy Jul 1st 2011 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9468489)
I lived in Australia for 30 years and I don't know of even one single person who lives in free housing..............:unsure:

Yeah, but do you know any peasants? Or pesants? They get free housing.

fluffy1 Jul 1st 2011 8:34 am

I can't speak for NSW but in SA & Qld where I have lived neither pay anywhere near $45k per year let alone $55!! My husband too is a time served Motor Mechanic of 23 years. Áverage (non Diesel mechanic) wage is $18-$24 per hour (in Adelaide & Gold Coast)

spartacus Jul 1st 2011 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 9468592)
Yeah, but do you know any peasants? Or pesants? They get free housing.

I want that one.

http://www.theplanningboardroom.net/...-australia.jpg

BadgeIsBack Jul 1st 2011 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Weebie (Post 9467367)
Even if you came back to Aus on your previous offer a few years back your still not going to be living a flash lifestyle. To really get ahead in Australia you need two incomes, People who only have 1 forever live with the pesants and never get ahead. England is a much nicer place to be living off 1 income than Australia.

Hey...he is saying something nice about England.

We manage off 1 income, and we don't live amongst peasants - we are the token peasants - living as we do in a modest home on just the one when everyone else in the section of the road has several acres..

it is not a secret by any means...

Kris_Rocks Jul 1st 2011 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Fluid36 (Post 9468126)
It's peasant, not pesant, you peasant!

When I first wrote Peasant I put the a in then removed it because I thought it didnt look right!!

Kris_Rocks Jul 1st 2011 10:57 am

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 9468618)

I like that one - plenty of room for my old mattresses, shopping trolleys and a car on bricks out front.