British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Is $55,000 a good wage or not? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/%2455-000-good-wage-not-722982/)

Weebie Jun 30th 2011 4:35 pm

Re: Is $55,000 a good wage or not?

to be fair on the guy big difference in salaries between mines and Western Sydney.

Weebie Jun 30th 2011 4:38 pm

Even if you came back to Aus on your previous offer a few years back your still not going to be living a flash lifestyle. To really get ahead in Australia you need two incomes, People who only have 1 forever live with the pesants and never get ahead. England is a much nicer place to be living off 1 income than Australia.

EvannTel Jun 30th 2011 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Weebie (Post 9467367)
Even if you came back to Aus on your previous offer a few years back your still not going to be living a flash lifestyle. To really get ahead in Australia you need two incomes, People who only have 1 forever live with the pesants and never get ahead. England is a much nicer place to be living off 1 income than Australia.

Speak for your self (as usual)

Kris_Rocks Jun 30th 2011 5:28 pm

LOL "live with the pesants"

Here I make money and anticipate doing so in some form in Oz its just that to be safe I am looking at worst case scenario which is if we had to could we live on my husbands wage alone at first.
I'm not expecting to live in a 6 bedroomed beachfront home with pool and tennis courts living it up in freo every weekend but I dont want to live in pikeyville either.

Pollyana Jun 30th 2011 5:55 pm

I'd rather live with peasants than live with certain snobs on here...... :sneaky:

Kris_Rocks Jun 30th 2011 6:04 pm

Who are the pesants anyway - I might be one and not realise!

Weebie Jun 30th 2011 11:37 pm

I didn't mean the pesants call literally I'm just saying. At least people who are on low incomes in Australia get a free house and benefits.

There are reasons why childcare is a such a huge industry in Australia. Doesn't matter on your income even if it's reasonable high you'll always struggle if its not 2.

Fluid36 Jul 1st 2011 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Weebie (Post 9467983)
I didn't mean the pesants call literally I'm just saying. At least people who are on low incomes in Australia get a free house and benefits.

There are reasons why childcare is a such a huge industry in Australia. Doesn't matter on your income even if it's reasonable high you'll always struggle if its not 2.

It's peasant, not pesant, you peasant!

Family of 3 Jul 1st 2011 1:05 am

I'm a pedant, does that count?

Kooky. Jul 1st 2011 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Family of 3 (Post 9468135)
I'm a pedant, does that count?

You need some Tunes, love.

Family of 3 Jul 1st 2011 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 9468144)
You need some Tunes, love.

Gawd, you're showing your age there!

Kooky. Jul 1st 2011 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Family of 3 (Post 9468174)
Gawd, you're showing your age there!

I'm showing it in the mirror today, I'm afraid.

Shame we are currently a one-wage household and I can't afford any botox.

(You know, that one-wage my husband earns, where his commission component alone is more than my previous salary, which obviously means we can't afford to live on one salary. :rolleyes: )

Dreamy Jul 1st 2011 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 9468191)
I'm showing it in the mirror today, I'm afraid.

Shame we are currently a one-wage household and I can't afford any botox.

(You know, that one-wage my husband earns, where his commission component alone is more than my previous salary, which obviously means we can't afford to live on one salary. :rolleyes: )

We're a one wage family too.

We're so poor I'm thinking about hitting the streets.

But what the hell do you do with a bag full of 5c pieces?

Pollyana Jul 1st 2011 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Weebie (Post 9467983)

Two pieces of info for you Weebie and a repeated request........

1) Info 1 - Many people on one income are better off on that one than many other are on two.
2) Info 2 - Many people on one income aren't struggling

1) REPEATED REQUEST 1 - quit providing wrong info to people on the forum. People come here looking for advice and/or opinions. You seem to be confusing the two and are posting your opinions as if they were gospel. This is misleading and unhelpful so pack it in.

Kooky. Jul 1st 2011 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 9468217)
We're a one wage family too.

We're so poor I'm thinking about hitting the streets.

But what the hell do you do with a bag full of 5c pieces?

Well I read this morning they might be doing away with them so I'd aim for at least 10c a time, Dreamy.