Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$5 for an A4 colour photocopy!!

$5 for an A4 colour photocopy!!

Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:41 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $5 for an A4 colour photocopy!!

Originally Posted by Rhia27
hang on a second !!!

You're quoting GBP60 per thousand prints in the UK and complaining that OZ cost $5 for 1 or $250 per 100 for a photocopy.

Now I may not be great at maths but the laws of business says the more you buy the cheaper it is.

Comparing units or even hundreds with runs of thousands isnt exactly apples for apples.

Also you are comparing printing to photocopying. Again not apples to apples.

What price were you quoted for a print run of more than a thousand ?
Ok, to clarify, I used to get colour A4 photocopies done in the UK for 10p per sheet and A4 colour glossy print runs for £60 per 1000 so thats 6p per sheet.
So far here (mid north coast) OK on only 1 day of looking so far I've found colour photocopying at $5.00 per sheet and if I go to a library to do it $1.20 and my only price so far for print runs works out at 35 cents per sheet and 5 cents of that is postage. Its a fact where I am that postage costs a wad to get things here, so much so that when I need stock its cheaper for me to drive the van 700km to get it than have it shipped up.

I do know that when you scale up unit prices get cheaper but still $5 for a single sheet is IMO a ripoff.

I've solved my problem anyway now and run 500 off on the colour inkjet, that will do for now and only cost me $34 in ink and there's still some left. It did take the printer 2 hours to do it though.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:43 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by banjo
Hi Arkon,

It's great to have you back.....been wondering how things were going for you. Thought life must have been good as I've not seen any posts from you for a while....sorry to hear you're still being ripped off.

Is life ever good for Arkon???

I'm sure if it was he would still find something to complain about....
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:46 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
For the new readers, this location is about 4 ? hours drive from a normal City centre. It is not true of the main populated areas, that most of us end up in.

Not slagging, just clarifying, in case some people think this is typical of Australia.
Thanks for clarifying that. Yes I'm about 4 hours north of Sydney and get ripped off for everything compared to the city. 10L of Dulux costs me $150 compared to about $100 in the city and no mater how much shopping around I do here it is still going to cost me $150. If anyone is thinking of going rural you need to factor in the cost of living as being much higher. I did expect it to be higher but not this high. Bananas in Melborne $1.14 per kilo, and $3 per kilo here.

Out of curiosity how much do you pay for bread in the big smoke? I pay $3 a loaf.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:51 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Hels
Is life ever good for Arkon???

I'm sure if it was he would still find something to complain about....
Err. No its not, and I now know why depression and suicide are so high out in the sticks. Yes I know, MOVE! Well we are as soon as the house sells, if not I'm going to take up smoking in bed!
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by arkon
Out of curiosity how much do you pay for bread in the big smoke? I pay $3 a loaf.
Buttercup Multigrain 700gm $0.95

PS: Checkout http://www.printlineadvertising.co.uk/colourcopies.html for the price of 1 single A4 Colour Copy........... £29.90 !!!!

Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:52 am
Nomadic Member

Rhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really nice

Ok, to clarify, I used to get colour A4 photocopies done in the UK for 10p per sheet and A4 colour glossy print runs for £60 per 1000 so thats 6p per sheet.
So far here (mid north coast) OK on only 1 day of looking so far I've found colour photocopying at $5.00 per sheet and if I go to a library to do it $1.20 and my only price so far for print runs works out at 35 cents per sheet and 5 cents of that is postage. Its a fact where I am that postage costs a wad to get things here, so much so that when I need stock its cheaper for me to drive the van 700km to get it than have it shipped up.

I do know that when you scale up unit prices get cheaper but still $5 for a single sheet is IMO a ripoff.

I've solved my problem anyway now and run 500 off on the colour inkjet, that will do for now and only cost me $34 in ink and there's still some left. It did take the printer 2 hours to do it though.
Mid north coast ..... so have you checked out ....

http://www.sunne.com.au/ based in Taree tel 02 6552 1388 or Toll Free on 1800 814 832. Fax 02 6552 5185

Also http://www.midcoast.com.au/users/imprint/imprint.html ?
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I sense a great business opportunity in 'Sticksville' (as our friend has dubbed a provincial town/city). How about a store, Nouvelle Bunnings seems right for a name, staff it with non-weirdo's, sell A4 glossies, parts for boats, termite surveys and passport photos (no wait a minute that's the one and only thing they do right). There could be a Sunday market in the car park and there can be as many stalls of whatever kind you want.

What's that? Keen potential stall holders are put off by too many stalls of their type in an area with a comparatively low demand and they don't feel it would be worth their while. Stuff em, we're gonna have 15 food stalls, 10 selling emu oil and so on. Haven't they heard that competition is always a healthy thing.

Feel free to add other things that the 'Nouvelle Bunnings' will sell - I tend not to read all the Arkon tales of woe down under as one can only take so much doom and gloom in a day!

OzTennis
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:55 am
Nomadic Member

Rhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really nice

PS: Checkout http://www.printlineadvertising.co.uk/colourcopies.html for the price of 1 single A4 Colour Copy........... £29.90 !!!!

£29.90 a copy :scared: Makes Arkons $5 per copy seem like an absolute bargain
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:56 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Rhia27
Mid north coast ..... so have you checked out ....

http://www.sunne.com.au/ based in Taree tel 02 6552 1388 or Toll Free on 1800 814 832. Fax 02 6552 5185

Also http://www.midcoast.com.au/users/imprint/imprint.html ?
Thanks I've already checked out sunne when I was wanting something else done a while ago. They were no use to me this time as I needed the print in 3 days and they usually take 1 and a half to 2 weeks. ( It was why I needed a cheap photocoping service)
Old Jan 24th 2006, 12:00 pm
Nomadic Member

Thanks I've already checked out sunne when I was wanting something else done a while ago. They were no use to me this time as I needed the print in 3 days and they usually take 1 and a half to 2 weeks. ( It was why I needed a cheap photocoping service)
Oh OK, no problems. Twas just a thought. If you want you can send me Karma for the idea though (Hint, Hint )
Old Jan 24th 2006, 12:02 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I sense a great business opportunity in 'Sticksville' (as our friend has dubbed a provincial town/city). How about a store, Nouvelle Bunnings seems right for a name, staff it with non-weirdo's, sell A4 glossies, parts for boats, termite surveys and passport photos (no wait a minute that's the one and only thing they do right). There could be a Sunday market in the car park and there can be as many stalls of whatever kind you want.

What's that? Keen potential stall holders are put off by too many stalls of their type in an area with a comparatively low demand and they don't feel it would be worth their while. Stuff em, we're gonna have 15 food stalls, 10 selling emu oil and so on. Haven't they heard that competition is always a healthy thing.

Feel free to add other things that the 'Nouvelle Bunnings' will sell - I tend not to read all the Arkon tales of woe down under as one can only take so much doom and gloom in a day!

OzTennis
Well you've done pretty well to remember all that! Or have you got a photographic memory? All jokes aside I was toying with the idea of turning the 50 acres into a giant car boot / market site. The only thing that put me off the idea was when the neighbour said I'd need to get council permission and that after the trauma of getting the dogs registered put me right off. hmmmm 15 food stalls.......... Oh the luxury of some healthy competition...
Old Jan 24th 2006, 12:07 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Are you sure? I just tried the site out and it said 54 pence a copy.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 12:21 pm
ABCDiamond

Are you sure? I just tried the site out and it said 54 pence a copy.
Interesting,... the on site calculator has a flaw when doing more than one quote.

I entered 10,000 copies in the 6th down down, got the price for that, then deleted the 1,000, and entered 1 in the top box option, for an alternative quote, which gave the £29.90 for a single photocopy. It did seem overly high !

However, going straight to it, as a new quote, it does give the cheaper price.

Old Jan 24th 2006, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting,... the on site calculator has a flaw when doing more than one quote.

I entered 10,000 copies in the 6th down down, got the price for that, then deleted the 1,000, and entered 1 in the top box option, for an alternative quote, which gave the £29.90 for a single photocopy. It did seem overly high !

However, going straight to it, as a new quote, it does give the cheaper price.
Printers often charge a 'set up' fee which is of course a fixed cost and doesn't vary with the number of copies. For some jobs you might have to pay £29.90 for a single copy with the printer eg £29 set up fee plus 90p variable cost. As granny who sucks eggs would tell us the more copies you get printed the more the unit cost comes down as the fixed cost is spread and granny would also say that photocopying doesn't involve a fixed element like printing.

35 cents (15p) seems pretty reasonable to me, irrespective of what one paid in a previous life?? This is 'Sticksville UK', Alston up in the Cumbria fells (highest market town in England from memory):

http://www.cybermoor.org/lid/index.asp?intID=633

OzTennis
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:39 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: $5 for an A4 colour photocopy!!

Originally Posted by cam_uk
yeah but abc is not just an ordinary poster !!

he is the stato of BE .. he has facts and figures for every question posted
Well said; ABC is BEP's local legend!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.