Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$5 for an A4 colour photocopy!!

$5 for an A4 colour photocopy!!

Old Jan 24th 2006, 8:02 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default $5 for an A4 colour photocopy!!

I just had to write this one up, I was told by most people I ask that printing is expensive in Australia. In the UK I used to get A4 glossy sales brochures printed at about £60 a thousand (from memory). that’s 6p each. Today I trotted into town to get some A4 colour brochures made up and was quoted a staggering $5 each!!! Dropping to $2.50 if I wanted more than 100 done. I tried a 2nd place to try and get it cheaper and it was more or less the same. I think I’m going to have to buy a colour laser printer and DIY!

Does anyone know any cheap Australian mail order printer companies they can recommend?
Old Jan 24th 2006, 8:11 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: $5 for an A4 colour photocopy!!

Library Costs:

Photocopying
Size : Cost per copy
A4 Black & White 11 cents
A3 Black & White 22 cents
A4 Colour $1.20
A3 Colour $2.40

They may do discounts for more than one copy.

You really do need to move nearer to civilisation.

Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:25 am
ABCDiamond

For print runs, not photocopies, give https://www.successprint.com.au a try.

$617.00 for 10,000 A$ Full Colour Gloss,
that's $61.70 per 1,000 or in UK conversion: £26.25 = 2.625p per copy

Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:53 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: $5 for an A4 colour photocopy!!

It really is quite extraordinary that Arkon seems incapable of finding any sort of basic service at a reasonable price.

The typical pattern seems to be (a) Arkon goes looking, (b) Arkon finds the local rip-off merchant and spits his dummy at the high price/poor service, (c) Arkon arbitrarily decides that this is the same for everywhere else in Australia, (d) Arkon jumps onto BEP and whinges his lungs out, (e) a BEP regular provides the relevant details of a place offering the required service at a reasonable price in his local area.

Arkon, why don't you use a bit of common sense for a change? Most local libraries offer this sort of service at a knock-down rate; did it not occur to you that this might be the best place to start your enquiries?

Dear me.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:55 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

yeah but abc is not just an ordinary poster !!

he is the stato of BE .. he has facts and figures for every question posted
Old Jan 24th 2006, 10:13 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It really is quite extraordinary that Arkon seems incapable of finding any sort of basic service at a reasonable price.

The typical pattern seems to be (a) Arkon goes looking, (b) Arkon finds the local rip-off merchant and spits his dummy at the high price/poor service, (c) Arkon arbitrarily decides that this is the same for everywhere else in Australia, (d) Arkon jumps onto BEP and whinges his lungs out, (e) a BEP regular provides the relevant details of a place offering the required service at a reasonable price in his local area.

Arkon, why don't you use a bit of common sense for a change? Most local libraries offer this sort of service at a knock-down rate; did it not occur to you that this might be the best place to start your enquiries?

Dear me.
I bow to your superior intellect again. Only $1.20 a sheet in the library, so my 1000 sheets is a paltry $1200, FACT there is nowhere local that does it for the cheap price ABC stated, I needed them quick so thought a photocopy would do. Instead I’ll look at what ABC recommended and get them printed instead. You really are a knob Vash, Try living here in sticksville and see if you can get them cheaper.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 10:14 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Thanks ABCDiamond I'll give them a go and get them printed instead. An yes I can't wait to move back to civilisation.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 10:24 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I've just got a quote for my 1000 and including the fifty bucks postage comes to about 35c per sheet, still expensive by what I'm used to paying but nowhere near the daft $5 from the locl boys. I can't justify the 10,000 as my prices change weekly so I would have a heck of a lot to get rid off every week. Thanks again. I'll definately be using them.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
I've just got a quote for my 1000 and including the fifty bucks postage comes to about 35c per sheet, still expensive by what I'm used to paying but nowhere near the daft $5 from the locl boys. I can't justify the 10,000 as my prices change weekly so I would have a heck of a lot to get rid off every week. Thanks again. I'll definately be using them.
We look forward to your sensational follow-up thread '35 cents for an A4 colour print!!!'

OzTennis
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:07 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by OzTennis
We look forward to your sensational follow-up thread '35 cents for an A4 colour print!!!'

OzTennis
I know, I know, a bit of a lame thread but when I got back from town I just kept saying to the misus....$5!!! for a copy, $5! I can't believe it $5, repeat 1000 times......

It's just about the biggest thing that’s happened here in ages and so you have to get your kicks where you can. Next week I'll be back from my first market and who knows might have something more interesting to say. On the subjects of local markets I have made another startling discovery that explains a fair bit... All the markets in my region only have one food stall usually the SES or other such voluntary group, And they all sell the same bland rubbish. I couldn't believe I couldn't buy fast food from any other stall. Well now I know why… The market organizers vet you and if you are selling something in competition with another stall holder they wont let you have a stall, They told me that this was to ensure that those that did have stalls would make some decent money. The only exception to the rule is plants and secondhand stuff, I was told by Forster market that only 3 plant stalls were allowed. Before I get slagged off for saying that Australian markets are hugely anti-competitive this is true of ALL the markets around this part of the coast. Luckily what I sell is so far untapped here.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:08 am
Nomadic Member

Rhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really nice

I just had to write this one up, I was told by most people I ask that printing is expensive in Australia. In the UK I used to get A4 glossy sales brochures printed at about £60 a thousand (from memory). that’s 6p each. Today I trotted into town to get some A4 colour brochures made up and was quoted a staggering $5 each!!! Dropping to $2.50 if I wanted more than 100 done. I tried a 2nd place to try and get it cheaper and it was more or less the same. I think I’m going to have to buy a colour laser printer and DIY!

Does anyone know any cheap Australian mail order printer companies they can recommend?
hang on a second !!!

You're quoting GBP60 per thousand prints in the UK and complaining that OZ cost $5 for 1 or $250 per 100 for a photocopy.

Now I may not be great at maths but the laws of business says the more you buy the cheaper it is.

Comparing units or even hundreds with runs of thousands isnt exactly apples for apples.

Also you are comparing printing to photocopying. Again not apples to apples.

What price were you quoted for a print run of more than a thousand ?

Last edited by Rhia27; Jan 24th 2006 at 11:16 am.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:12 am
ABCDiamond

I'll definately be using them.
Shop around !!

That was just the first option I came up with!! There is bound to be cheaper.

When I was in the UK I always checked different options, I never just went with the first one. I do the same here.

And with the library price, that was for a single copy, they normally give decent discounts for multiples.

As a comparison I have done a similar google in the UK and found:
http://www.printlineadvertising.co.uk/colourcopies.html who quote: £264.38 for 1,000 A4 Colour copies, that's 26.5p per copy, (or 62c per copy, twice the price you are now paying here).

Obviously you could get it cheaper in the UK, as you knew where to look, however a newcomer to the UK would NOT, and using the original logic, would consider the UK to be Overpriced, and that's comparing to your new quote of 35c per copy, about half the UK price.

BUT, it isn't that either country is better or worse for printing prices, what it comes down to is knowing where to look.

But the bottom line is, if an Australian goes to the UK and wants some A4 Colour printing done, they will find the UK damned expensive. (until they know where to look)

$5 for an A4 colour photocopy!! senstational headline ? ?

Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough

This weekend I had to fax off some paperwork and went to the local library. The cost to send a fax to a UK number (im in the UK by the way) was 50p a sheet. As I had 9 sheets this cost me £4.50, now that's what I call a rip off.

Looking at BT's webpage where you can calculate the cost of a call it would have cost about 6 pence for the call which lasted about 3 mins.

And this is the public library. Im just showing you can find rip off prices anywhere if that's what your looking for!

Phil
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:18 am
ABCDiamond

Before I get slagged off for saying that Australian markets are hugely anti-competitive this is true of ALL the markets around this part of the coast.
For the new readers, this location is about 4 ? hours drive from a normal City centre. It is not true of the main populated areas, that most of us end up in.

Not slagging, just clarifying, in case some people think this is typical of Australia.

Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:27 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Hi Arkon,

It's great to have you back.....been wondering how things were going for you. Thought life must have been good as I've not seen any posts from you for a while....sorry to hear you're still being ripped off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.