Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$42 billion Stimulus Package

$42 billion Stimulus Package

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:58 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $42 billion Stimulus Package

http://www.pm.gov.au/media/Release/2...lease_0778.cfm
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
To be fair, I think you're missing the point of the stimulus - The idea is to give money to people who are going to spend it and keep the economy moving - not people to families who are going to save it for a rainy day.

If he really wanted to keep the economy moving he should be dishing this out to the people who are going to spend it, because they have few other financial responsibilities - Students for example, young single people living in rented accommodation - the Paddington/Balmain single female set who go and spend hundreds of dollars a week on shoes. Young single guys who will spend it on gadgets and cars. It isn't meant to be about being fair - it's about keeping the economy moving as the rest of the world grinds to a halt.

S
Kev's going to hate how I'm going to put the $950 in a savings account towards the deposit on a home loan - which I don't intend to get either for a couple of years until everything has calmed down
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:03 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

There are mixed views on how this "stimulus" should be created. One off hits (like in December) cause one off increase in spending. Tax cuts provide longer term stimulus but are more difficult to claw back (noone likes a tax raising government). Infrastructure spend works but can have a bit of a lead time before money is spent and jobs created.

Rudd appears to be using cash handouts to give some short term stimulus while spending larger sums on longer term projects (that will likely commence later this year), and so there is some balance in his approach.

I do fear that the global reaction to events is in danger of causing future repetitive boom and bust cycles however. All those Treasury bonds issued by the US (and soon by Australia) have to be paid for and the only source of Govt revenue is general taxation.

As others have siad or implied, the problem arose due to extravagant consumer spending supported by high levels of debt. Encouraging spending will not change that
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
The last one didn't. Why will this be different?
Of the last one, $81m was paid to recipients abroad. Lot of good that did for the local economy!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:08 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

OK but that is not what the "rules" suggest. You essentially need to be Australian resident for tax purposes i.e. earning income and paying tax in Australia. The issue of your actual location, your citizenship status or visa status are thus irrelevant.

Non-PR or citizens are not eligible for Family Tax Benefit. The lack of eligibility makes them not eligible for the "back to school" handout.

Originally Posted by homewardbound
Regarding you temp peeps. i actually interpret it all differently - it is payable to Australian ie. Australian citizens with residential ie. live in/reside in and not be in another country and working or having a taxable income....

so to conclude NO that would not include temp visa status's.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:09 am
Karma Comedian

The last one was over $10billion of which $81M is less than 1%.

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Of the last one, $81m was paid to recipients abroad. Lot of good that did for the local economy!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:11 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

To be fair, I think you're missing the point of the stimulus - The idea is to give money to people who are going to spend it and keep the economy moving - not people to families who are going to save it for a rainy day. I think KRudd missed the point with the last stimulus, and is only really starting to get it with this one. I don't think that anybody with a mortgage should get anything - there is too much risk that they will just pay the extra cash into the mortgage and straight into the bank's coffers, where it isn't going to do anything.

If he really wanted to keep the economy moving he should be dishing this out to the people who are going to spend it. It isn't meant to be about being fair - it's about keeping the economy moving as the rest of the world grinds to a halt.S
It's not about missing the point, it's about (at least for me) having a fundamentally different perspective on economics and the role of government. I'm still in awe that so many people are surprised at the notion of having to cut back and address spending/saving habits in a slowdown. This process is nothing new, but the peaks and troughs could certainly be lessened if everybody stood back a little and approached things from the perspective of 'if I can't afford it I won't buy it until I can'. That's the very simple root cause of the problem - promoting spending only perpetuates this.

Originally Posted by markallwood
That is one school of thought. But the problem with enlarging your capital base, is that you have to maintain it. Which costs big $$$ in itself, over the life of the assets (which is effectively infinite).
Exactly. This is phoney economics now - if it wasn't afforable in the good times how the heck is it affordable now? And with rates at a mult-decade low the rolling cost of servicing the debt in the longer-term will only increase (via initial capital via bond issuance, interest payments and maintainance costs - wages/raw materials). Jobs aren't really being 'created' they're just being transferred from one sector to another, and only temporarily at that. If a project wasnt a good idea 5 years ago, why is a good one today?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:23 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MTPockets
It's not about missing the point, it's about (at least for me) having a fundamentally different perspective on economics and the role of government. I'm still in awe that so many people are surprised at the notion of having to cut back and address spending/saving habits in a slowdown. This process is nothing new, but the peaks and troughs could certainly be lessened if everybody stood back a little and approached things from the perspective of 'if I can't afford it I won't buy it until I can'. That's the very simple root cause of the problem - promoting spending only perpetuates this.

I'm getting at the point that some posters seem to think that this should be all about giving money to families - that some families are more deserving than others, where, for this sort of thing to be effective, should it really be given to families at all? KRudd and his cronies don't seem to be able to open their mouths without mentioning the words 'working families' and I think this is obvious vote/good will purchasing for low and middle income Australia.

Given what they are allegedly attempting to achieve with this, I would question the wisdom of dishing this money out to people who are simply going to put it away.

I do question the wisdom of giving money away at all - it will only have a very limited effect, but if people are spending, then that keeps people in jobs - distributors, shops, anybody connected with the process of selling. Even if people just go and spend the money in the pub, it keeps bar staff, brewery workers, delivery folks, salespersons, cleaners etc in jobs. This can't be a bad thing.

S
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I don't reckon that families should get more than people without children, having brats is a lifestyle choice. I get tired of people whining 'oh but it easy for you not having children'. To this I usually respond 'shouldn't have had them then'. Then they really get pissed off
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

I've been trying to work out what (if anything) we would be entitled to.

DH earns about 110k and we have 1 child (and 1 on the way, but not due to be here until May/Jun). We currently get Family Benefit B and child has just this last week started school. I don't work, but gave the Family Assistance office an estimate of about $800 income (from interest from money we brought over from the UK).

From the looks of it we'll get $950 - based on this bit I found on the SMH website: Single-income families who receive the Family Tax Benefit Part B - about 1.5 million families - will get $950 on March 11. It will only be paid to those who were eligible for Family Tax Benefit Part B on February 3.

Not too sure if we count as single-income or not as I've put an approx interest "income".
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:37 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

QUOTE]

Looks like they know as much as Gordo the Clown ?

Sustained tax cuts for workers plus infrastructure seems best to me.

They will blow the inherited surplus ,which will be more bad news stoked up for the future.

Hmmm..
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:39 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm getting at the point that some posters seem to think that this should be all about giving money to families - that some families are more deserving than others, where, for this sort of thing to be effective, should it really be given to families at all? KRudd and his cronies don't seem to be able to open their mouths without mentioning the words 'working families' and I think this is obvious vote/good will purchasing for low and middle income Australia.

Given what they are allegedly attempting to achieve with this, I would question the wisdom of dishing this money out to people who are simply going to put it away.

I do question the wisdom of giving money away at all - it will only have a very limited effect, but if people are spending, then that keeps people in jobs - distributors, shops, anybody connected with the process of selling. Even if people just go and spend the money in the pub, it keeps bar staff, brewery workers, delivery folks, salespersons, cleaners etc in jobs. This can't be a bad thing.

S
Oh I see. Well I don't think it should be 'given away' at all. If government were so concerned about 'families' they'd be looking at issues such as paid maternity/paternity leave, social services and foster care funding, child benefits. That they're not but prefer to play the handout game says it all.

The spending issue. If money could be magiced out of thin air with no inflationary consequence I'd agree with you. But that cash has to come from somewhere and at a heavy cost. Not only will it impact other future social policy choices, but it requires everybody to pay the burden of the mismanagement of others (be that federal/local government, companies or individuals).

Most worryingly however, there are serious implicaions with regards to everyone's future standard of living. The tax burden is increasing, there will be inflationary effects (I'm not talking hyperinflation) which will erode spending power and future governments will be forced to reassess welfare/education/social priorities on the basis of less money to go round. This could easily translate into higher taxes, greater educational costs, less spending on health - for decades.

If the current environment implies serious debt cutbacks, some job losses and slowing growth for time, while a better spending/saving balance is put into place so be it - at least it's one generation paying for their own mistakes, not wimping out, expecting to be bailed out and increasing the future burden.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:40 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wol
The GFC was (is) caused by, at root, people spending more than they produce. The logic of spreading taxpayers' money around to enable even more discretionary spending escapes me. Regardless of the political party doing it.
I agree with that, and I think that's why I have an issue with the broad handouts.

Originally Posted by Burbage
The way to stimulate the economy is to provide job security, not cash. When people aren't afraid of losing their jobs they are happy to spend money.
But the solution to this economic crisis is not confidence. The debt culture has to go. The government has failed to realise this.
I agree. I know a few people that have recently lost their jobs. They're worried about how to pay for bills and can't seem to find a new job because there's hardly any new jobs and when there's is there's so much competition. These people are certainly not going to be out spending money when there is a potential that they will be out of work for quite some time.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:41 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
I don't reckon that families should get more than people without children, having brats is a lifestyle choice. I get tired of people whining 'oh but it easy for you not having children'. To this I usually respond 'shouldn't have had them then'. Then they really get pissed off
You are running the risk of looking like one of these in the eyes of a lot of people on here:
Attached Thumbnails  billion Stimulus Package-cock.jpg  
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:44 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TillyG
I've been trying to work out what (if anything) we would be entitled to.

DH earns about 110k and we have 1 child (and 1 on the way, but not due to be here until May/Jun). We currently get Family Benefit B and child has just this last week started school. I don't work, but gave the Family Assistance office an estimate of about $800 income (from interest from money we brought over from the UK).

From the looks of it we'll get $950 - based on this bit I found on the SMH website: Single-income families who receive the Family Tax Benefit Part B - about 1.5 million families - will get $950 on March 11. It will only be paid to those who were eligible for Family Tax Benefit Part B on February 3.

Not too sure if we count as single-income or not as I've put an approx interest "income".
You should still get it as far as I know.
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne.../ftb_b_iat.htm

Where the primary earner's income is at or below this limit, the payment of FTB Part B will be assessed on the basis of the secondary earner's income. Secondary earners can earn up to $4,526 each year before it affects the rate of FTB Part B.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.