Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A$300k No mortgage living - Perth or Brisbane?

A$300k No mortgage living - Perth or Brisbane?

Old Nov 9th 2004, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default A$300k No mortgage living - Perth or Brisbane?

I suspect I already know the answer but here goes:

We need a 4 bed house min., pool (or room for one), garage, say 3/4 acre plot, rural setting in the hills is fine with access to CBD (probably) depending on where we can get work.

We should have around 300-350k A$ and want mortgage free living or a small one. This to my mind means we will have to choose Perth over Brisbane.
Have no problem with Perth but my wife would prefer Brissie for the climate.
Seen lots of stuff in the 3-350 range in Perth e.g. madurah, rockingham, maida vale, elenbrook, etc. etc. etc.

Is it possible in Brisbane or have prices gone up too much in last 2 years?

PS - not coming for 3 years but presume house prices will rise/fall equally between here and Oz (hopefully!)
Old Nov 9th 2004, 11:52 am
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: A$300k No mortgage living - Perth or Brisbane?

Originally Posted by cadman

We need a 4 bed house min., pool (or room for one), garage, say 3/4 acre plot, rural setting in the hills is fine with access to CBD (probably) depending on where we can get work.

We should have around 300-350k A$ and want mortgage free living or a small one. This to my mind means we will have to choose Perth over Brisbane.
Seen lots of stuff in the 3-350 range in Perth e.g. madurah, rockingham, maida vale, elenbrook, etc. etc. etc.

PS - not coming for 3 years but presume house prices will rise/fall equally between here and Oz (hopefully!)
see post about house prices going down earlier in the day
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:59 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

would it not be better to have, say, a AUS$100k mortgage and a job in Brisbane than be mortgage and job free in Perth?

It really depends on the jobs you are after and the availability in each city, what your preference to climate and what each city has to offer you, after all you also want to be happy where you live as to which city would be best.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by walaj
would it not be better to have, say, a AUS$100k mortgage and a job in Brisbane than be mortgage and job free in Perth?

It really depends on the jobs you are after and the availability in each city, what your preference to climate and what each city has to offer you, after all you also want to be happy where you live as to which city would be best.
Sure walaj, I know.

For me the only thing any city would give me is work therefore the further out I can live for the shortest time is important.
We want to live a rural/village lifestyle with maybe an acre of land max., realise that's not practical near coast/cbd. As long as sea is within 1 hour that's OK.

Wife = mental health nurse. That may mean work in hospital or private institution, possibly away from the CBD. % of MHNurses in perth/WA is higher
than Bris/QLD. (52% in Vic ! :scared: )

Me = draughtsman - possible CBD if with large firm, not sure about work outside of CBD.

Have worked here in NW england for 15/16 years agency and never had to work in city centre e.g. Manchester/Liverpool.
I appreciate that in OZ my sort of work may be in CBD so am trying to plan accordingly. If it transpires that I can work outside CBD then great.
Anywhere that has construction going on i.e offices, shopping malls, heavy industry, petro-chemicals then I can work. ( believe perth has some big firms in CBD involved with Gas/offshore/petro-chem/china etc.)
Brisbane/QLD should have work e.g. malls, offices, rail, bridges, infrastructure etc.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

gtyson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cadman
Where abouts in wirral are you from we are in later stages of visa app & have had same questions as you but have practically made our mind up on Perth.We live in little sutton & I'm a maintanence Electrician on a Petro-chemical site on Stanlow
Cheers Graham
Old Nov 9th 2004, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Graham,

small world huh? I live in tranmere, work behind the boat museum and used to work for Foster Wheeler in admin block on stanlow for 3 years until a year ago.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cadman.This makes interesting reading.
WE are too in a similar situation and cannot quite decide on Perth Brisbane.
I suppose it depends on what your occupation is and weather or not you can find the best job etc.Mortgage free would be great.
We probably will head to Perth but have been told by various people who have travelled the whole of Australia and have advised Brisbane as there is more work avaliable.Really do not know myself.Have you been out to Perth or Brisbane and had a look around?
WE are planning on coming out to look at both around May time but it will not be easy with two young chlidren flights and travelling etc but feel before we make up our minds for good we need to look at Brisbane too.
I am afraid I am unable to help hope someone can give some sound advise but I suppose it really does depend on individual circumstances.
Cheers