Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$223 Dentist checkup & clean expensive?

$223 Dentist checkup & clean expensive?

Old Jul 18th 2011, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $223 Dentist checkup & clean expensive?

Unfortunately It's about the right price.... you'll find some cheaper around 180 bucks... I bet you could easily find a lot more expensive. 233 would be about the local dentist price, who to be fair is probably the best Dental Practice I've been to... especially compared to the following....

Dont talk to me about Dentists please I'm up around the 20K mark with my kids. I did get a fair few bob back from my Health Care Provider... but I did fork it out and the wife insisted on going to what is possibly the dearest orthodontists in Melbourne.

Dont go here.... Gawd knows what these would have charged. I reckon around 500 bucks personally... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

http://www.cosmeticdentistmelbourne.com.au/cosmetic-dentist-melbourne-contact.html

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 18th 2011 at 4:36 am.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

I'm suspicious of dentists intentions, as I suspect even their closest friends and families are.

In true UK form I rarely went to the dentist back home, and through compounding fear, it got easier and easier to not go. Did this for about 10 years and finally bit the bullet just before I left. My teeth visibly are quite healthy and white, and there's no obviously pain or anything, but the dentist identified that I required 7...seven. fillings!

Needless to say I didnt go back. Then I moved over here. Spin on about 2 years and I thought I have to go, I simply cant put it off, so I went. Again, teeth white, all accounted for and no pain. Dentist advises that I need 2 fillings and that's it. 7 vs. 2.

I was quite surprised so I let him go ahead and do them.

Then came the first 6 month check up. What do you know, another one needs doing. benefit of the doubt. filling done

6 months later - quelle surprise, another one. I said I'd get a second opinion and he said that it would probably be ok for another 6 months, so not to worry.

Final 6 month check up - he forgot to mention the previously identified potential filling entirely and has instead identified that there is a small cavity on one of my wisdom teeth (all 4 came through with no problem) and he thinks the best solution is to take all 4 wisdom teeth out under general anesthetic!!!

I think the best solution is to tell him to f**k off and find someone else!

Costs in dentistry around the world have gone up because most people are covered by private heath insurances. its a license to charge more money as often the customer is not directly paying, but ultimately just increases everyones premiums anyway. In the same way that we had someone dent our car recently. the quote from teh smash repairers to get it repaired $3500 through insurance. The amount we actually paid in cash $700.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tramway
Hi,

Is $223 expensive for a dentist checkup & clean in Sydney suburbs?
Seems so to me but not had to see one until now so don't know what it should cost.

Thanks
Yes it's normal in Australia to pay a fortune for dentistry. My wife needed a crown fitting so I sent her over to Brazil (her native country). It was cheaper than Sydney and she got to see her family.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:43 am
Just Joined

moke is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the things that struck me when I came here was the large amount of people with rotten teeth. I didn't realise why until I had to go to a dentist myself. The normal Joe on the street simply can't afford dental treatment.
Dean
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

nailbite is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Smudger82
Same thing costs me about $100 on the Sunny Coast
Which dental surgery is this anywhere near Caloundra?