Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$200k mortgage...(perth)???????

$200k mortgage...(perth)???????

Old Apr 9th 2007, 1:43 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $200k mortgage...(perth)???????

Originally Posted by aston man
where would $200k be in relation to a typical home loan in perth.what would be an average mortgage.

thank you............... aston..
I seem to remember something in the news that the average Perth mortgage was $350K. I don't know whether that is average outstanding (which fades to zero overtime), average for a new mortgage or average original loan (which would have been a lot less a few years ago) though. Median house prices are almost $500K.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Our Mortgage is $250k and our minimum is $850 per fortnight. We manage quite well on one wage.

Don't think prices are going to get any calmer, there has been a big drop here in the last 6 months, we would have sold for a higher amount and quickly last year but missed the boat there. Expect prices to shoot up again after the Budget as the first home buyers are waiting for that.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 2:52 am
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teabag
Our Mortgage is $250k and our minimum is $850 per fortnight. We manage quite well on one wage.

Don't think prices are going to get any calmer, there has been a big drop here in the last 6 months, we would have sold for a higher amount and quickly last year but missed the boat there. Expect prices to shoot up again after the Budget as the first home buyers are waiting for that.
Sounds about right with the repayments, but not quite sure what you mean about "managing quite well on one wage?" Surely it all depends on what one wage brings in??
Old Apr 9th 2007, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Originally Posted by soonbethere
Sounds about right with the repayments, but not quite sure what you mean about "managing quite well on one wage?" Surely it all depends on what one wage brings in??
well let's just say the OP expects to earn a lot more than we do
Old Apr 9th 2007, 3:36 am
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

well let's just say the OP expects to earn a lot more than we do
Too right!

We have just taken on a $260k mortgage, and we are panaking that we may struggle. OH working 47 hr week earning a piddly $42k, (that's about as good as it gets for Warehouse/ delivery driver) i only have a temp job, (but have been VERY LUCKY to get it) paying a very good $24 per hour.. so we are hoping that i can get something more perm, on about $19per hour, once i have more Aussie work experience? We should be ok for 6 months (or as long as the temp job lasts for) after that its a case of watch this space!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

ah I see - yep well we earn about $70K but have purchased another home in Tas so the mortgage will double until we can sell this one, so looks like I am temping again after the school holidays.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:30 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nizcac
Hi Sam,
Just wondering - do you work at all? That seems like a big mortgage($320K) for an average earn of $60K - I have been looking at 4xsalary like the UK. Can I just ask what the repayments are on $320K and for how long it is over. Is it a case of 'selling your soul to the devil' To but a decent property?

We would probably have $170k as a deposit for the house - OH is expecting to earn around $60K so I thought absolute max we would be allowed to borrow is $240K/25yrs.

I do underrstand if you do not wish to publicise your outgoings that much - Just needed to ask the question.

Thanks anyway - Niz
Have PM'd you
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

gordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Nizcac
Hi Sam,
Just wondering - do you work at all? That seems like a big mortgage($320K) for an average earn of $60K - I have been looking at 4xsalary like the UK. Can I just ask what the repayments are on $320K and for how long it is over. Is it a case of 'selling your soul to the devil' To but a decent property?

We would probably have $170k as a deposit for the house - OH is expecting to earn around $60K so I thought absolute max we would be allowed to borrow is $240K/25yrs.

I do underrstand if you do not wish to publicise your outgoings that much - Just needed to ask the question.

Thanks anyway - Niz
Right one thing - if I had a bit of the wobbles before - now I've really got them!

We are hoping to go to Perth - and will be taking about £70,000 as a deposit for a house. My husband is a bricklayer too. I would say you can get a house for $400, which in my calculation is around £170,000. So that would give me a £100,000 mortgage (just slightly more than I have here).

Is everyone saying that is not possible - and that I will be mortgaged up to my eyes?

Everyone keeps saying they've got this and that - but it really depends on what age you are and how long you plan on taking your mortgage out for.

Someone having to pay their's over 15 years will have the same mortgage payments as us surely - if we paid our's over about 22?

Thoughts - can we afford a house in Perth?????

I'm a PA - so no doubt I would get a job too.

Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gordon&laura
Right one thing - if I had a bit of the wobbles before - now I've really got them!

We are hoping to go to Perth - and will be taking about £70,000 as a deposit for a house. My husband is a bricklayer too. I would say you can get a house for $400, which in my calculation is around £170,000. So that would give me a £100,000 mortgage (just slightly more than I have here).

Is everyone saying that is not possible - and that I will be mortgaged up to my eyes?

Everyone keeps saying they've got this and that - but it really depends on what age you are and how long you plan on taking your mortgage out for.

Someone having to pay their's over 15 years will have the same mortgage payments as us surely - if we paid our's over about 22?

Hi,

It depends what sort of house you want but there's not many for less than $400k here at the moment. 3 beds are going for $460 and more. Your £70k would give you about $170k so you are talking probably a $300k mortgage. I think that you can say repayments are about $200 per week for every $100k you borrow, so in effect it would be $500-$600 per week. Thats a pretty hefty mortgage unless you are earning over average wages. I think a lot of people underestimate the living costs here, food shopping is very expensive and bills are about the same as the UK.

Don't want to depress you but it's a lot more expensive to live in Perth than it was 3 yrs ago.
Jo
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:18 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

i am a brickie as you know,gordon like me wants price work so i would want to earn in the region of $100k.
my home loan will be less than yours but you will have 2 incomes.plus no kids..
i would of thought ,you would be better off than me..

jeez ,,there are a few wobbles this weekend....

strange ,the suns out and the wobbles start..

dont forget poor gordon laying those blocks of ice ,in january..

ast
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

My house is under $400K and is for sale!!! I know I'm a broken record, I just want to go to Tassie

more photos here: http://www.goprivate.com.au/properti...ge=5&id=221943
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

gordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to all

Originally Posted by clougherty family
Hi,

It depends what sort of house you want but there's not many for less than $400k here at the moment. 3 beds are going for $460 and more. Your £70k would give you about $170k so you are talking probably a $300k mortgage. I think that you can say repayments are about $200 per week for every $100k you borrow, so in effect it would be $500-$600 per week. Thats a pretty hefty mortgage unless you are earning over average wages. I think a lot of people underestimate the living costs here, food shopping is very expensive and bills are about the same as the UK.

Don't want to depress you but it's a lot more expensive to live in Perth than it was 3 yrs ago.
Jo

I've seen lots of houses on websites for under $400 - are those a myth???

My friend bought in Ellenbrook last year for $320 - I believe they are now going for $375. Can anyone confirm this?

There are only the 2 of us - so a 3 bedroom would be okay, I suppose!

There must be people who go with hardly any money - what happens to them - any of you on this website??? Can you tell us how things are going??

I'm really not sure Perth is going to work out for us now.....

Laura
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:24 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

My house is under $400K and is for sale!!! I know I'm a broken record, I just want to go to Tassie
i saw a 4x2 in rockingham for $350 with a pool.

so thats at least 2 for you to look at laura..
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aston man
i saw a 4x2 in rockingham for $350 with a pool.

so thats at least 2 for you to look at laura..
Hey guys - thanks for the encouragement!!!!!

Teabag - I would buy your house in a minute if I were over there - it looks fab!

Laura
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Hey guys - thanks for the encouragement!!!!!

Teabag - I would buy your house in a minute if I were over there - it looks fab!

Laura
Thanks Laura

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.