Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$2000 to open HSBC account?

$2000 to open HSBC account?

Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point
Default $2000 to open HSBC account?

I know its been discussed, but can someone remind me how i get a cheque for $2000 to open my new HSBC account?
Does the local branch do this for you when you go in with the forms to filll in (100 points test.) ??
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:33 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: $2000 to open HSBC account?

Originally posted by itsasecret
I know its been discussed, but can someone remind me how i get a cheque for $2000 to open my new HSBC account?
Does the local branch do this for you when you go in with the forms to filll in (100 points test.) ??
If you are in the UK, and if you bank with HSBC, then i would assume that your branch would transfer the funds for you.

Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
If you are in the UK, and if you bank with HSBC, then i would assume that your branch would transfer the funds for you.
no its a has to be a cheque made payable to myself.?
Old Feb 25th 2004, 11:47 am
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough

apparantly you make an international bank draft out to yourself. or rather, you ask the bank to do this for a fee. then the whole lot gets sent off and the draft gets credited to you account!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

FalcoThorn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi itsasecret,

We initially sent a personal cheque made out to ourselves in GBP, but were contacted by HSBC saying that it would take approx 6 wks to clear and there would be charges for clearing the check, etc. They asked if we would like them to tear up the cheque and we deposit the money via telegraphic transfer. We opted for the latter which cost us a one off £25, money was in our HSBC account within 3/4 days.

Cheers

Linzie
Old Feb 25th 2004, 1:17 pm
TOB
Forum Regular

TOB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I have the HSBC online application in front of me now and it says

" You will not be able to operate on your account until an initial deposit of minimum AUD2,000 is deposited into the account. You can send us a cheque made payable to the names on the account with your account opening documents. Alternatively, you may deposit funds into the account at one of our branches AFTER WE HAVE E-MAILED YOU YOUR ACCOUNT NUMBER. PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DEPOSIT FUNDS INTO THE ACCOUNT VIA ONE OF OUR BRANCHES UNLESS WE HAVE EMAILED YOU THE ACCOUNT NUMBER AS THE BRANC WILL BE UNABLE TO ACCEPT THE FUNDS."

Hope this helps

Old Feb 25th 2004, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

I have rx'd this :

Please do not send cash in the mail.

Once we have received the above documents and cheque your Online Savings
Account number will be emailed to you. To fund your account either
electronically or via a branch can only occur after we have emailed you
your account number.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

PaulDClark is an unknown quantity at this point

First Direct did us a Bankers draft for $2000 (in AUD) for a charge of £10. It arrived in a couple of days. Rate wasn't too bad and we posted it off with the application forms.

The amount cleared OK, although they did take 0.5% in stamp duty so we ended up with $1990 in the account, although some interest less tax is making that up (slowly)

Paul
Old Feb 25th 2004, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by PaulDClark
First Direct did us a Bankers draft for $2000 (in AUD) for a charge of £10. It arrived in a couple of days. Rate wasn't too bad and we posted it off with the application forms.

The amount cleared OK, although they did take 0.5% in stamp duty so we ended up with $1990 in the account, although some interest less tax is making that up (slowly)

Paul
Thanks I think thats what i will do, its the same when i had to pay DIMIA their money. I think i got charged £10 from Thomas Cook travel agents.. Thanks for the advice..
Old Feb 25th 2004, 2:31 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PaulDClark

Paul
God! Do you know if they all take stamp duty off incoming transfers - or is it just via the draft?

We should know!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Rog Williams
God! Do you know if they all take stamp duty off incoming transfers - or is it just via the draft?

We should know!
good point..?
Old Feb 25th 2004, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

PaulDClark is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't know, the statement just said Government Tax or something similar.

PS We asked them to post everything to our UK address until we move, getting loads of stuff, all the junk etc, it must be costing them a fortune! Checkbook was massive, long and narrow but consisting of about 250 cheques... EFTPOS card looks just like the UK one...

Funniest part was doing the docs, did it Christmas Eve at our local HSBC with a guy dressed up as Santa certfying our docs!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 8:54 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Rog Williams

We should know!
When I opened my account, in 2001, there were no stamp duty deductions and I paid by Bank Transfer.

And I have had no tranaction costs whatever since feb 2002.
Before that they did charge BAD tax (Bank Account Debits), but BAD tax was abolished back in 2002. I always loved that name BAD !!

Old Feb 26th 2004, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

topcat is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks I think thats what i will do, its the same when i had to pay DIMIA their money. I think i got charged £10 from Thomas Cook travel agents.. Thanks for the advice..

I have a UK HSBC account so just arranged for a transfer of 2000 AUD into my OZ account once they'd emailed the account number. I think it cost about 8 quid and there were no charges at the Australian end as I'd sent it out in dollars.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 10:01 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
When I opened my account, in 2001, there were no stamp duty deductions and I paid by Bank Transfer.

And I have had no tranaction costs whatever since feb 2002.
Before that they did charge BAD tax (Bank Account Debits), but BAD tax was abolished back in 2002. I always loved that name BAD !!
Thanks.

Not often you hear of a tax being deleted, is it? Especially down under!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.